Dry food taste test: Help me pick

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Went on a free sample spree, since I'm considering changing (or at least mixing) Niko's dry food (he's currently eating EVO for his dry), and received a buncha sample packets over the past week. I did several "taste tests" using one or two pieces as treats and even though he'll eat all of them (he's slim, but a piglet), he clearly liked some over others. I worked my way down with the "this or that" method till we had a clear hierarchy.. then repeated a few days later for accuracy. Oy, I got too much time on my hands.

After tossing all the fishy flavors in the shelter box (he's not big on da fishes), here's what we had. From most liked to least:
1. Wellness "Complete Health" Chicken (/loved/ this above all)
2. Nature's Logic Chicken
3. (Tie) Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Adult
3. (Tie) Nutro "Natural Choice Complete Care Indoor" Adult

4. Nature's Logic Rabbit
5. Eagle Pack "Holistic Select" Chicken & Rice
6. Eagle Pack "Holistic Select" Duck & Oatmeal
7. Felidae Chicken & Rice (just kinda batted it around)
For those of you who use/have used any the above listed in blue, what are your thoughts? More importantly, which would you pick? If ya could, please tell me why, as well (i.e.. specific ingredients or the lack thereof.) All are available to me locally (BUT the Nature's Logic) and price isn't a major concern.. but it helps.

I really wanna try California Natural dry, but Natura didn't send samples, just coupons (which still helps, since I use their canned products). The place near me that sells it only has the HUGE bags.. and the shelter can't take pre-opened bags of food, so I don't wanna risk it. A shame I can't just get a few pieces.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most pet stores that carry natura products have samples...

Zoey prefers Natural choice over the indoor and the dog core to cat core( no laughing or asking)

regular Wellness has barley which is a close relative of wheat and not used here
chicken soup was not touched for some reason

Indoor has l carnitine for fat metabolism and extra veggie matter for hairballs also reduced fat

many of Natures logic s ingrediants are red flags to me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

regular Wellness has barley which is a close relative of wheat and not used here
Is your reasoning because wheat/barley is a possible allergen or because tainted wheat gluten was part of the massive recall?

It's a shame, 'cause the more I read on Wellness, the more I liked it. :/ I'll have to see if my local shop has samples of the CORE and the Cali. Natural.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley eats California Natural. The store I buy from (local mom'n'pop store) has a great return policy. If I buy something he doesn't like, they let me return it for an exchange, even opened bags or incomplete cases. It wouldn't hurt to talk to your store about it and see if they would be willing to do that if they don't have samples.

If they won't do that, pm me your addy and after the holidays I'll send you a little ziploc baggie with some in it

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought a bag of Wellness Indoor last spring. My cats stopped eating it after 2 weeks.
They weren't big fans of Chicken Soup either.

Of the others we've tried Nutro Natural Choice, but they like Nutro MAX better. They'll eat NC if I mix it with something else.

We tried samples of California Natural Chicken & Rice a few years ago and it wasn't a huge hit. Mostly the price was why I didn't push it further than the tiny sample bag. Compared to other foods I could get, it was very expensive and a special order through a clinic.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went thru a similar taste test with mine and their hands down favorite was Innova (not on your list). And that was true for all of the 12 cats in my test.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
with me it is the allergy thing as Zoey is allergic to wheat and soy

Kandie loved Innova wet

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I went thru a similar taste test with mine and their hands down favorite was Innova (not on your list). And that was true for all of the 12 cats in my test.
That doesn't surprise me. Innova wasn't available here for quite a while, but now a European version is available, and I've been ordering it for an awful lot of cats.