Best way to punish my kitty.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have had my Kitty, Skimble, for about 3.5 months. He's 8 months old.

He's a little spoiled, and well loved, has tons of toys, and I play with him a couple of times a day, and take breaks frequently to pet him or love on him. He often lays on my desk while I'm studying and I pet him. In fact, I make a point of studying at home so I'm with him as often as possible.

Lately, I've had a couple of really busy days. So for a few days last week I couldn't play with him (a couple of all nighters writing an 80 page grant). Since then I have been playing with him and am trying to catch up on my school work - but since I'm at home doing it he thinks I should play with him more.

So he keeps doing bad things for attention. Climbing up my floor lamps, getting on shelves he knows he's not allowed on and knocking things over. He's doing it A LOT. Last night he broke one of my lamps and then continued knocking the broken stand around scratching the wall. I couldn't get him to stop. I told him no, took him away from it, sprayed him with water - nothing made him stop going back. He knows he's not supposed to be doing it - but he's enjoying the attention he's getting from me when I get up to tell him no.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get him to stop this behavior of attracting negative attention (he never destroys things if I'm not home -its ONLY when I'm home and not paying attention to him). Should I lock him out of my room and leave him in the living room with his toys? Lock him in the bathroom for a bit (same idea of sending a child to his room)? Keep up with the water?

I'm just at my wits end - last night I was trying to sleep and he kept attacking the already broken lamp as well as the two others I have in my room. I COULDN'T GET HIM TO STOP (I mean by the end he was pretty much dripping wet from the spray bottle) - IT WAS SOOOO FRUSTRATING.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't punish a cat, they don't learn that way like a dog would. You need to refocus his energy onto something else. He doesn't understand why you aren't playing with him and really, you should set aside some time to do that regardless. You are his life, you are the one he is happy to see. Being too busy to play even just for a little bit is not something he understands. Try some interactive toys, cat trees, window perches with a birdfeeder right outside, another kitten to play with...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

You can't punish a cat, they don't learn that way like a dog would. You need to refocus his energy onto something else. He doesn't understand why you aren't playing with him and really, you should set aside some time to do that regardless. You are his life, you are the one he is happy to see. Being too busy to play even just for a little bit is not something he understands. Try some interactive toys, cat trees, window perches with a birdfeeder right outside, another kitten to play with...
He's got most of that stuff - and like I said I am playing with him again. I have always played him for several times a day for like 15-20 min per time plus all the little periods where I play with him for a few minutes. It was only like 2 days where I was busy and then busy catching up on sleep where he didn't get his usual long play times. Since then I have been playing with him - I'm not real sure why he is still behaving badly.

And another kitten isn't an option I can't afford the extra pet rent. He's not very good with his interactive toys - I think I was actually around too much when I first got him - he never really learned to play on his own, although he's getting better.

And redirecting his attention doesn't really work - as soon as I go back to studying he goes back to knocking things over. I guess I might just have to study in cafes this week so he isn't constantly trying to get my attention.

Thanks. If anyone else has any other suggestions I'd appreciate it.

mochapenguin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine did this a lot too for a while but she seems to be getting better now (except first thing in the morning). We usually try the best we can to just ignore her when she's acting up so she won't think she'll get any attention for doing those things. When she's up somewhere she's not supposed to be or knocking things over, we'll pick her up and move her somewhere else without saying anything to her at all or really even looking at her - just removing her from the situation without any real "attention". Sometimes she goes back to it but we just keep moving her and eventually she gives up.

I also do kind of a "three strikes" thing for myself so I don't go nuts...if I do the above tactic 3 times in a row and she still doesn't get it, I shut her out of the room I'm in. She'll meow for a little while but I ignore her and eventually she gives up and finds something else to do.

This of course is to specifically deter attention-seeking bad behavior. Usually if she's just meowing a bit for a little playtime when I'm really busy or tired, I'll pull out the laser pointer because she gets a lot of exercise with minimal effort on my part and she'll be tuckered out quick..then I finish up the mini-play session with a physical toy that she can "kill" and take off to her hideout.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mochapenguin

Mine did this a lot too for a while but she seems to be getting better now (except first thing in the morning). We usually try the best we can to just ignore her when she's acting up so she won't think she'll get any attention for doing those things. When she's up somewhere she's not supposed to be or knocking things over, we'll pick her up and move her somewhere else without saying anything to her at all or really even looking at her - just removing her from the situation without any real "attention". Sometimes she goes back to it but we just keep moving her and eventually she gives up.

I also do kind of a "three strikes" thing for myself so I don't go nuts...if I do the above tactic 3 times in a row and she still doesn't get it, I shut her out of the room I'm in. She'll meow for a little while but I ignore her and eventually she gives up and finds something else to do.

This of course is to specifically deter attention-seeking bad behavior. Usually if she's just meowing a bit for a little playtime when I'm really busy or tired, I'll pull out the laser pointer because she gets a lot of exercise with minimal effort on my part and she'll be tuckered out quick..then I finish up the mini-play session with a physical toy that she can "kill" and take off to her hideout.
Thanks, I'll try that. I used to play with him when he did stuff like this - but I have less time now. But I think because I used to play with him when he did stuff like this I encouraged him.

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's true that you can't really punish cats like you can dogs, and that it's much, MUCH harder to get them to connect actions with consequences, but it can be done- if the reaction is IMMEDIATE. i've found that the best way to communicate to my fuzzy little brats is to keep a can of compressed air (the sort used for clearing dust out of electronics) on hand, and whenever i see them climbing up to a table they're not supposed to be on, trying to get into the garbage or people food, etc, i grab the can of air and press the trigger. i don't even have to do it in their general direction; the intense hissing noise is enough to make them freeze and immediately abandon their mischeivious plans. it's very rarely that they don't get the hint, and when they don't, i spray the bottle towards them so that they feel the very cold air. (cold because it was compressed.) THAT really gets it through their skulls. you have to be incredibly vigilant, though, and react WHILE the cat is doing something they're not supposed to. once they're not doing it any more, it's too late to teach them.

also, spraying a cat with a water bottle causes them to relate getting wet with being in trouble.... makes giving them a bath a whole lot harder lol

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SiddyMeowmy

also, spraying a cat with a water bottle causes them to relate getting wet with being in trouble.... makes giving them a bath a whole lot harder lol
I'll try the compressed air.

And yeah I was concerned about the water and baths but it actually doesn't make baths any harder. He doesn't really mind them too much. His problem seems to be more that I'm holding him still to wet him and soap him up than it is that I'm getting him wet.

I love him dearly but I really did create a brat. I take him home with me some weekends (because for break I'll be home a week and a half - I wanted him used to going to my parents house instead of leaving him alone for that long), and he likes it because at home he gets supervised visits in the backyard.

But anyway, last time I was home, he played with my mom's TV cords and shut off a movie while we were watching it - she told me he was the worst behaved cat she's ever seen. And as I picked him up and cuddled him to inform her he was a good, sweet cat - he climbed on my head and attacked the tassles on the ceiling fan
Didn't really prove my point very well. Its my fault he's spoiled- now I have to accept the consequences and try to fix it.

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SiddyMeowmy, thanks for your post about the compressed air! I have always trained my cats not to do certain undesirable behavior through the use of a water bottle. So long as I have sprayed them while they were in the act my cats have always learned to associate that specific bad behavior with getting misted with water. It has worked very well for my pets, but I have never gave a second thought to them being even more afraid of taking a bath! Now I know most cats hate baths regardless but it makes sense that water punishment will heighten their fear of bath time (I have a white cat that gets into anything possible sometimes he needs a good soak in the tub). Thank you SiddyMeowmy, I think with my new kittens I will try out the compressed air thing instead if they misbehave.

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's great, cuz it makes the same noise that you do if you make a human's poor attempt at a hissing noise when you catch them doing something, but you don't strain your throat by doing it a thousand times in a day
and it's waaaay louder and more intense.

and water bottles get your house all wet, too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PLEASE DO NOT punish rather try to redirect attention to something else... ... Use loud sounds ( some find a jar with coins rattling effective), some do the spray bottle( DO NOT aim at cat) ... I use a hand clap and a loud NO or GET OFF ... if that does not work I move her to the time out room ( the bathroom with potty box a few toys and water)

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

PLEASE DO NOT punish rather try to redirect attention to something else... ... Use loud sounds ( some find a jar with coins rattling effective), some do the spray bottle( DO NOT aim at cat) ... I use a hand clap and a loud NO or GET OFF ... if that does not work I move her to the time out room ( the bathroom with potty box a few toys and water)
Well thank you for the suggestions, but thats what I was talking about when I said "punishing."

Its not like I was asking for the best way to beat my kitten...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know .. just wanted to ensure that ... some do think that "spanking" kitty is okay

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, he'll outgrow being bad so fast, then you'll watch him sleep all day and wonder what happened to your cat who'll only awaken to eat. It's happened to me and I'm sure to others, and it's like they give up on having a life, and then I feel so guilty! I so understand about your work, but somehow you have to find some way to keep him caring - not trying to turn it off. BTW - 'extra pet rent' - is that an actual amount your landlord charges for each pet, or is it you saying you think another cat will cost that much more to deal with - just curious!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can't teach a cat manners by only telling them when they did something wrong, without trying to teach them what was right. Think about teaching a child in school. If the teacher only scolded the child when they said 2 + 2 is 5, the child would never learn the correct answer of 4, unless they happened to stumble upon it. By spraying the kitten either with water or air, or locking them up, you haven't taught the kitten what you would consider to be good behavior. Think how frustrated you would be if your teachers didn't bother to give you the right answers.

You need to find a way to redirect your kitten to a positive behavior every time they do something wrong. Whether that be to give them a toy, place them on a cat tree, or anything that will distract them for a while. You taught your kitten to play interactively with you. Now you need to teach him to play on his own.

It will take a lot of time and patience on your part. But since you said that you don't have as much time for the kitten as you used to, and can't get him another playmate, what option do you have? Find the time and be completely consistent with him.

And he is a kitten and will grow out of this stage.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

BTW - 'extra pet rent' - is that an actual amount your landlord charges for each pet, or is it you saying you think another cat will cost that much more to deal with - just curious!
I mean the actual amount my complex charges for a pet. He already costs me $25 a month. Another cat would add another $25 and its just too much of a strain on my budget.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

A simple solution would be to give him the attention he's seeking.
Well thats what I've been doing for months - but thats made him completely spoiled and constantly attention seeking. I don't think it was the best choice I ever made.

The compressed air is working great!! So thanks for that Siddy Meow.

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
^_^

just make sure he still gets plenty of love and affection when he's NOT earning a blast of cold air lol

glad i could help

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

You can't teach a cat manners by only telling them when they did something wrong, without trying to teach them what was right. Think about teaching a child in school. If the teacher only scolded the child when they said 2 + 2 is 5, the child would never learn the correct answer of 4, unless they happened to stumble upon it. By spraying the kitten either with water or air, or locking them up, you haven't taught the kitten what you would consider to be good behavior. Think how frustrated you would be if your teachers didn't bother to give you the right answers.

You need to find a way to redirect your kitten to a positive behavior every time they do something wrong. Whether that be to give them a toy, place them on a cat tree, or anything that will distract them for a while. You taught your kitten to play interactively with you. Now you need to teach him to play on his own.

It will take a lot of time and patience on your part. But since you said that you don't have as much time for the kitten as you used to, and can't get him another playmate, what option do you have? Find the time and be completely consistent with him.

And he is a kitten and will grow out of this stage.
I agree with Amy about this certain extent.

I'm glad you've found the "hissing" for letting him know something's not OK. Also, in the same vein, we "hiss" and then ignore kitties - like you've seen, they then learn that "bad" behavior doesn't get them attention.

However, Amy is right about this - they need to be rewarded for good behavior. If you see him playing by himself, or exploring in places that are OK, make a point of praising him (out loud) - and maybe giving him some treats or something. This will help reinforce the good behavior.

Since it seems like you're already on the right track for retraining him, here are some other ideas to help keep him stimulated.

Is there any way you can attack a bird feeder (with suction cups) to a window? Squirrels and birds can provide HOURS of "cat TV" that can keep an energetic kitty entertained.

Of course, the red dot (laser toy) is easy - even when you're studying or reading - and gives him loads of exercise. That was a great idea. You can also consider putting a couple of treats under a handkerchief and making the game "end" with the dot there some times - this way every once in a while he gets to "catch" something when playing "red dot."

Also, another idea is to frequently change the toys that are out for him to play with by himself. Our kitties get bored of their toys pretty quickly. We rotate the toys that are out every 3 - 4 days or so. And those little furry mice? See if you can find some that have beans or rice or whatever it is that is inside that make them rattle. For some reason, our kitties LOVE these mice, but won't play with ones that don't make noise. ??? Anyway - take some catnip, and "marinate" the furry mice in a baggy when they're out of rotation.

Another idea, if you're not already practicing this. Don't make a point about coming or leaving - like, don't seek him out with pets and treats for greets. It makes less of an emphasis on your presence being important.

Also, if you have the space, consider rounding up a bunch of boxes big enough for him to get into. We make rather large kitty "condos" - more like mazes, though we get them up to three stories high - by cutting holes and taping the boxes together. Hide treats in some of them before you leave in the morning. Gives him something to explore. And change the configuration frequently. If he's playing with a ball or a mouse or something, you can toss it into the maze, and he can go looking for it. This will also help him to do things on his own.

If I remember any of our other "keep kitty occupied and interested" tips, I'll post again.

Hope things continue to go well!

Laurie