Change of sleeping spots

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do cats change around their usual sleeping spots? Popsie has three favorites and he'll sleep in one for the longest time. Then suddenly he'll decide to start sleeping in other of his favorite spots.

rincewind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 have 4 different spots and they kind've take it in turn as to where they sleep. They will all sleep together which is surprising as they didn't like each other in the begining!...lol but now it's all love love love.

I think mine sleep where it's basically the warmest at the selected time they sleep...thats what i would do.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine changes with the seasons, I think it has to do with warmth... in the winter he's on the bed as close to me as possible without disturbing his sleep by my movement. In the summer it's at the foot or in a completely different room, away from body heat.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always understood that it wasn't so much to do with comfort as the fact that instinct requires them to change their nest every so often to stay safe from predators, leave behind any flea infestation, etc. That may be a total crock, but it always had the ring of truth to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I always understood that it wasn't so much to do with comfort as the fact that instinct requires them to change their nest every so often to stay safe from predators, leave behind any flea infestation, etc. That may be a total crock, but it always had the ring of truth to me.
That's what I've been thinking, that it's instinct. Sometimes Popsie will throw me for a loop and choose to sleep in a completely new spot. Then when I can't find him in his usuals I get freaked out.

catsarecool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat changes around too. She will sleep in the same place for a few days, then change to a new spot. Mostly just rotating, but no real pattern and sometimes a completly new spot. She has a bunch of beds with blankets and pillows for the winter.