Online Courses

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew!
I just got finished the the Computer Literacy part of my Vet Tech course. I swear that was the hardest to do, not because the content was hard but just keeping myself going to complete the darn book was hard as heck! I knew much of the stuff already although I would have to admit, there were some things that were completely new to me. Now onto Intro to Biology, which I know will be a lot easier for me since I'm a bit of a science geek.

Anyone else here take online courses? How do you keep yourself motivated?!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm bad at that. Final week, I have 6 quizzes, then an exam covering the material in those 6 quizzees. Then I have a final in accounting(BORING!). I also have a quiz on The Exorcist, a final exam over a bunch of books, and a small discussion to complete. All by Thursday, & I probably won't have much time for homework tomorrow.

I ever worked ahead a bunch!
It's just a short week & I'm going to be gone, so I've got one day less than everyone else to do the assignments.

I motivate myself by doing either a certain number of problems or a spending a certain amount of time doing homework, then I play on TCS for like 1 minute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work for about an hour, take a break, then another and etc. It seems to work but there are times when the kitties crave their meowmy's attention and go ballistic on me.
At least they're not book chewers.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished a couple on line Photoshop courses. I kept myself motivated because we got 2 lessons a week and I hated getting behind, and because it was fun. I didn't know if I would be able to stick with it, but I did. 12 weeks each course.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't done any online, but i'm hoping to do one by correspondence when we move. I found an animal health one that can help me get into a vet clinic or RSPCA etc. The funny thing is, the building that provides the course and posts the books out etc, is 6 houses up the road from our new home!! Spooky
Which means i can probably just walk there to get my books and return them for marking, no point in posting! If anyone's interested, this is what i would be learning:

1. Introduction to Animal Health Care
2. Common Health Problems in farm animals and pets
3. Animal Behaviour
4. Signs of Ill Health
5. Veterinary Facilities
6. Safety Procedures
7. Administration of Animal Health
8. Animal First Aid
9. Preventative Health Care
10. Routine Health Treatments
11. Health Problems in Domestic Pets
12. Rehabilitation Care

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

I haven't done any online, but i'm hoping to do one by correspondence when we move. I found an animal health one that can help me get into a vet clinic or RSPCA etc. The funny thing is, the building that provides the course and posts the books out etc, is 6 houses up the road from our new home!!
What's you job title going to be afterward there? You're lucky to have a school so close to home, er, your new home, that is. I have to do mine online because there isn't a vet tech school close enough to where I live. Lucky you! I would prefer an actual school to online courses.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. Once i've done the course and have a certificate then i can go looking for jobs with animals. There are many different avenues and i don't know what will happen. I'm waiting for my job network people to call me back, as they can actually pay for this course for me (i can't afford roughly $600 in one go). I don't think i could work in the medicine area, it was hard enough dealing with sick animals at Animal Aid knowing they were going to be pts soon. Anything with the recovery side, first aid, companionship, training etc. Who knows. Being an actual surgeon would obviousely require more than this course, and i don't really think i'd have the confidence to be cutting into an animal, it's a huge responsability. The course name is called 'Animal health care' so it's a basic course on the different areas that vet techs and shelter workers etc work in, it isn't a title like 'surgeon' or 'level suchnsuch co-ordinator'. Which means there are various job opportunities i hope