Only In Texas!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's nuts!
Yesterday it was warm enough to have the a/c on (has been for the past few days) and then last night a cold breeze started blowing in through the windows and it got cold enough to turn the heat back on!
This morning it was just a little chilly, then it got colder again: now, it's warming back up again - and it's nighttime!! It's enough to make your head spin!

I'm not complaining - it's just crazy, that's all.
I actually feel pretty lucky, compared to all those poor peeps that are in a frozen world right now due to the ice storms.
Poor souls..

~KK~

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glad your safe, KK. I am in NM and it is disgusting here today, rain/ice/snow all mixed together. I can't complain though as it is precipitation which I am always thankful for. Luckily it hasn't been anything dangerous.

I too am hoping all those in the iced over states are staying safe. 12 deaths already is scary. I hate ice storms, would much rather have 2 feet of snow than 1/4 inch of ice.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

It's nuts!
Yesterday it was warm enough to have the a/c on (has been for the past few days) and then last night a cold breeze started blowing in through the windows and it got cold enough to turn the heat back on!
This morning it was just a little chilly, then it got colder again: now, it's warming back up again - and it's nighttime!! It's enough to make your head spin!
I hate to burst your bubble but that's normal here in Kansas. There's an old saying that if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change. In the fall it's not unusual for it to be 70s on Monday, 40s by Wednesday, and back to 70s by Friday.

Anyway, it's still raining at the moment but that will switch to ice later tonight and all day tomorrow. We're expected to get 1.5 - 2 inches of ice total.

Mez

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

I hate to burst your bubble but that's normal here in Kansas. There's an old saying that if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change.
Mez
That's the same saying we have here in Texas.
I really wish it make up its mind.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was 80 here yesterday. I called my son in Oklahoma though and he was packing up to head to my mom's because college had been closed and finals cancelled due to no power from the ice storm!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was in the 30s and rainy yesterday. It's almost 70 degrees outside right now. And it's supposed to be back to the 30s and 40s by tomorrow.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Anyway, it's still raining at the moment but that will switch to ice later tonight and all day tomorrow. We're expected to get 1.5 - 2 inches of ice total.
I lost power about 5 minutes after writing this and it was off until 8am this morning. My apartment was around 58 degrees when I woke up (BRRR!). About half of town is still without power so I'm one of the lucky ones.

Mez

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

I too am hoping all those in the iced over states are staying safe. 12 deaths already is scary. I hate ice storms, would much rather have 2 feet of snow than 1/4 inch of ice.
I agree.
At least you can get some traction in snow: there's not much you can do about the ice though.

I hope you're staying safe. Kittymonsters!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I lost power about 5 minutes after writing this and it was off until 8am this morning. My apartment was around 58 degrees when I woke up (BRRR!). About half of town is still without power so I'm one of the lucky ones.

Mez
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this mess!
I hope things improve soon for y'all!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

It was in the 30s and rainy yesterday. It's almost 70 degrees outside right now. And it's supposed to be back to the 30s and 40s by tomorrow.
It's still really nice out here, too. But that's supposed to change later on tonight..

~KK~

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this mess!
I hope things improve soon for y'all!

~KK~
Thanks. It's been so slow here at work I thought about going home early but I have internet here. My home internet is still down (I work for my ISP so I know the circuit isn't up).

Mez

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There's an old saying that if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change.
That's a quote of Will Roger's - on Oklahoma weather.

It's not unusual to have 40 degree temperature swings - in just a few hours. The wind blowing makes it colder.....

North Texas is almost an entirely different climate from what we had growing up in Oklahoma. Many of these young kids have never seen snow. <shaking head>

AlleyGirl, OU had 6 students injured in the ice storm last Spring, so they closed down yesterday. The orange school stayed open on Monday. My daughter has had no power since Monday morning - and she had finals today.

hollow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know, you hate to grip about the weather here in Texas, when the north is going through such cold......but it would be nice to have at least a little chilly Christmas. We put up our tree this weekend with the AC on and ceiling fans. Should have seen the icecicles (sp) on the Christmas tree moving from the ceiling fans.
Prayers and wishes are with everyone in the North!

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

North Texas is almost an entirely different climate from what we had growing up in Oklahoma. Many of these young kids have never seen snow. <shaking head>
I grew up in western KS and now reside in eastern KS. The weather here is definitely milder than the western half of the state. And I agree, overall the weather in both halves is generally milder now than it was when I was growing up.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

That's a quote of Will Roger's - on Oklahoma weather.

It's not unusual to have 40 degree temperature swings - in just a few hours. The wind blowing makes it colder.....

AlleyGirl, OU had 6 students injured in the ice storm last Spring, so they closed down yesterday. The orange school stayed open on Monday. My daughter has had no power since Monday morning - and she had finals today.
I agree about the 40 deg temp swings, happens a lot!

My son is at a small college in NE OK which got hit pretty hard by the ice. I think most of the town is without power.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Some big thunderstorms are going to be rolling in just about a few minutes from now. Of course, I have a meeting to go to.
I just hope I don't get drenched.
We didn't get any thunderstorms here, but we did get some rain, and now it's cold again - 49 degrees (well, cold for Texas, anyway!). What makes it so difficult is the drastic temperature change: one minute you have the a/c on, and the next minute you're running to put your sweater on and turn the heat up!
That drastic temp change isn't healthy..

But I'm still not complaining: we're in good shape, compared to all those other poor souls that are stuck in the ice age right now..

~KK~

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the weather caught me off-guard today. I wasn't expecting it to be in the 40s, and I left the house with sandals on!
Oh well, I think its warming up again tomorrow.