If You See a Homeless Person Asking For Money To You Give Them Any?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was leaving a Walmart Parking lot when I saw a woman standing out in the 10 degree weather asking for money for food and a motel room. My heart hurt for her and I stopped and gave her $5. I felt extremely guilty thinking about how much money I had just spent at Walmart for Christmas.

She was so thankful! She wished me a Merry Christmas and thanked me several times. Then again as I was driving away she thanked me and waved.

I really believe in Karma, so I try to help people whenever I can.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had a couple approach me in my lifetime. The first one i saw on the way back from my trip drinking booze. The second one was approaching other people with different excuses (ie cigarettes, phone call, bus fare etc)

I really don't know what to think.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its not my place to judge what I think they will use the money on, so if I have any on me, I will give it, most definitely. You never know why someone is where they are in their life.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't hand out money to people i do not know, it's not safe to do that around here. Instead, I do donate regurally to homeless shelters/ organizations that help with job placements, soup kitchens, etc so that should someone be in need - they can go there and have a warm place to stay, an agency that can help them find a job/housing, and food to eat - that way i know my money is going to be used for good to help others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Its not my place to judge what I think they will use the money on, so if I have any on me, I will give it, most definitely. You never know why someone is where they are in their life.
I have to agree with you. I think it would take a lot to stand outside and dehumanize yourself and ask others for money. I'm guessing that this lady is outside in such horrible weather for a good reason. It makes me sad to think about it and I just hope that she gets enough money to get herself on her feet someday.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, yes and no.

I don't give money directly, but sometimes I will take them to a local restaurant and buy them a meal.

I have in the past given money for food or bus fare only to have the person take off and later see them with a package of cigarettes or falling down drunk. Now that's not to say all homeless people are like that. It's very possible that some really do need it for rent or food. But unfortunately you don't know that. So while I want to help, I also want to make sure that I'm helping and not "enabling" and supporting habits that help keep them in a homeless situation because that is where their money goes instead of for life's basic necessities like a home and food.

A few years ago I remember seeing a woman sitting in front of a mall downtown with her 3 young kids, along with a sign begging people to give her money so she could feed her kids.

It wasn't lost on anyone, including the local news, that the combined cost of the Nike Air shoes that she and her 3 kids were wearing would have fed them for a month.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify - my answer is "no" but NOT because I assume they will buy booze or alcohol.

From my experience in handing out money on the street, you hand one person $5 and suddenly you have 10 other people asking you for $5 AND if I don't give it to them, they begin to harrass me.

I try to donate through charities when I can.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm your typical cold-hearted male. The reason I don't give money is because I have yet to see a newspaper with the "Help Wanted" section empty. There is always work to be done somewhere. It may not be fun, easy or clean, but it's there.

Mez

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

I'm your typical cold-hearted male. The reason I don't give money is because I have yet to see a newspaper with the "Help Wanted" section empty. There is always work to be done somewhere. It may not be fun, easy or clean, but it's there.

Mez
That's not cold hearted, that's honesty.
I agree, there are always jobs and though they may not always be fun, they are a paycheck, and honestly, if I can work at something that I really do not like doing, then why can't they?
Now don't get me wrong, I donate to shelters by giving them old clothing and bedding I can't use anymore that's in decent shape. I do that every year. Now it may not be much, but the people that if clothes for free, ( I give it to the ones that don't make you pay for your things like the salvation army does, they just make you show proof of income and then give you, and any kids you have, clothing for the winter/summer, toys and things like that)
But no I just don't give people money on the streets. Sorry but I just can't, I am not trusting like that. So if they need things, go the the shelters and get them or as was stated before, get a job to help you out of your debts if you're physically able to.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd be broke before I ever got to work. I simply can't give to everyone, so I don't give direct handouts to anyone. It doesn't make me feel good, but here you get approached so often, and wherever you go.
I would probably feel differently if I lived somewhere where it was more of a rarity, but here it's nearly daily, and if you're out and about, it's several times in a day.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never seen a homeless person around here before. I'm not sure if I would give them money or not if I saw one.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I'd be broke before I ever got to work. I simply can't give to everyone, so I don't give direct handouts to anyone. It doesn't make me feel good, but here you get approached so often, and wherever you go.
I would probably feel differently if I lived somewhere where it was more of a rarity, but here it's nearly daily, and if you're out and about, it's several times in a day.
I would agree with not handing out money if it was something that happened every day. Around here there are very few people that will ask for money. And they don't come up and ask you for money they just stand by a stop sign or stop light with a sign.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't give out money to someone I don't know. I would rather donate to a shelter or buy them a meal. There have been too many people in the city I work in dressing like they are homeless and holding up a cardboard sign asking for money when others have seen these same people taking off to their parked sports cars with a handful of money. That's not to say that all people do this. I normally don't carry cash unless I need it for a reason.
I just don't trust them to spend it on what they really need it for when they turn around and just buy one of their addictions.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the job thing. I think they all have their reasons. Maybe they are working and when they are not at work they are asking for money on the side. Maybe it's hard for them to get a job because they have a low iq or horrible people skills. Maybe they are in a rut, a mid life crisis and that's how they are dealing with it. Maybe........There are just so many reasons. Honestly I can see a company hiring an imigrant, illegal or not, before they hire a homeless person.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose depends because I am not giving a person sitting on the street or standing there with a cup money.

But if they are trying to work for it, I will give them something...for example, a guy opened the door for me at Tim Hortons in Toronto one time..I gave him $2

jackie158

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, here in FL, I see the same people everyday begging for money, at the same spots. I saw a show where there were professionals who actually do that for a living, pretend they are homeless and collect money. I really dont know what to think as well. Maybe I dont understand because I have never been there. I dont know. Is there not homeless shelter where someone can sleep or places that will help you for a month until you get on your feet? I dont understand. Have these people not tried these places or social services? I dont know what to think, I have never been there.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

As for the job thing. I think they all have their reasons.

Some people can't work (mental illness and family abandoned them), some people can't find work to support the family and/or is down on their luck and finally here are those that are just plain lazy people.

I also learned about gypsies last year, whose beliefs are that I earn money to support them. Nice...

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't, and I see them every day. They are on the 4 corners by my house EVERY DAY, for hours. (I live in a not so great neighborhood for now) I too have heard of scam artists making thousands by doing this, and in this day and age, not only am I hesitant to give them money not knowing where it's going, I am deathly afraid that when I offer them anything, they will pull a gun and carjack me or worse....(desperation can do bad things to a person) so no, I do not give them money, but I DO give money every time I see one of the bell ringing Santas and I DO give to homeless shelters. At least I pretty much know the money will be used for good. On a sad note, we were driving home yesterday and saw cops swarming around a dead person covered with a tarp, lying under a bridge in the road. I think it may have been an actual homeless person, too depressed to go on, and he jumped to his death (his relief?). It's a sad, sad world we live in. Cherish every moment people, you never know what will come your way.

unicacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
this is my thing, i rather give them the dollar, then for them to shot someone for it.
i live in washington, DC, and i see a few, but if not, i ask them what they need, and buy it for them.
two months ago, this lady was asking for some money to buy soup, instead, i asked her to eat some with me ( this was outside a soup place ( pho)). so, i invited to eat pho with me.
but, when it really comes down, i ask what they need, and get it for them.

Shelter are sometimes full, and they cant get a room or food. Homeless are human as well, and if you are fortune enough to give, GIVE!

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I donate old usable clothing and volunteer at various community events (pancake feeds, soup kitchen, etc) from time to time but I don't give money to bell ringers. To me the ideology of what they're doing isn't any different than what someone standing on the corner is doing. The whole purpose behind freely donating and volunteering is to do it when you want to do it, not when someone else tries to guilt you into doing it.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say. I don't think EnzoLeya's purpose behind this thread was to start a debate.

Mez