Ever been scrached in the face?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I was medicating a cat at the shelter. He's about 10 and has always been a super sweet guy! I love this cat and would actually love to take him home if I could. He scratched one of the other volunteers in the hand and I thought he did it accidently. I thought no way Ricky is way too sweet to do that on purpose. I had him on top of a cage trying to get the pill in and about the 3rd or 4th time I tried he reached out & swiped at me. He caught me just above the lip & a tiny bit in the lip. I've been caught in the cheek by my Jordan, but man that was nothing compared to this. First of all he needs his claws clipped and I keep Jordan's claws preety short. It actually made my eye water on that side of my face. I thought it would swell up, but it didn't. I'm curious to know how many other people have been clawed in the face. I was supprised by him, but I still love him. I know if someone was trying to shove a pill down my throat I'd be angry too!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a momma cat who was insane latch onto my face with 4 paws & hang on for dear life. They had a hard time un-attaching her from my face. Hurt like heck & my face got kinda swollen.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One time when I first got Skye and her kittens she catepulted off my face. I had nocked over a pan and she got scared flew off the counter onto my face stopped there for a second and then pushed off and over the baby gate. I was just gushing blood. My face swelled up but thankfully it didnt get infected. Ive been scartched bby a couple ferals and semi ferals in the face before nothing quite as bad as what Skye did though.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was aggravating Marcie (whoda thunkit, a provoked cat will actually lash out?) and she reached out and got me right in the corner of my eye. The scratch went from the inside corner of my eye about .5in toward my nose.

Boy did I feel stupid.

So, a week or two later, I did it again with the same results.

Lucky for me, I trim her claws so they aren't razor sharp.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have, but nothing bad, it was usually an accident when I had it happen. When I get scratched on my hand it swells and itches something fierce, so I hope I nevr have to experience a bad face scratch

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been really scratched, but Mischief has "tapped" a little too hard a time or two trying to wake me up. He drew a little spot of blood on the tip of my chin a couple of times.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but that was really my fault.

I was around 8-9 years old and a friend of mine had a really sweet, laidback tabby and white female cat.

I was playing with her and remembered how much fun I found it to be thrown high in the air and then caught again. So I decided that the cat would enjoy it too (I mean I thought it was awesome when it was done to me) and threw her high up in the air. Unsuprisingly the cat got terrified and extended all her claws as she was flying through the air and on the way down she scratched my cheek.

I caught her and she was fine, I was also mostly ok and realised immediately how stupid I'd been.

Needless to say that was the only time I've ever thrown a cat up into the air.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got Sibohan she scratched me by accident right under the eye. I was laying in bed playing with her and I had put my glasses on. She saw the reflection and lashed out at it and I caught a claw under the right eye. It healed up fine, but it was a bit of a shock

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow some of these make my little scratch sound like nothing. I'm just glad it didn't swell. I was sure I was going to look like had been in a fight. I pill Jordan every day and I forgot that pilling a shelter cat is not like pilling your own. He really is a good guy and maybe I trusted him too much. I have been scratched a bunch of times,but I think the only one that comes as close on the pain scale is when Isaac fell in the bath with me & freaked out and pushed off on my arm.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid I got scratched in the face. It was my fault though. It didn't scar, and didn't swell up. I've had it happen a few other times too. With my current crew bites are much more likely, they are all front declawed. Nabu gave me a nasty bite a few years ago, I was closing a window and he stuck his hand in the window as I was closing it. Poor guy got his finger pinched, and in the process of throwing the window open he bit me. It's the only cat bite I've ever had that got somewhat infected and I'm sure it was that horrible "New Skin" stuff I used instead of a bandaid and bacitracin.

I worked at a shelter for a few years and I have more scars from dog scratches than anything.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was scratched by my friend's Mom's cat when I was a kid & still have a small scar that is on the outline of my lip up into the skin. I don't remember provoking the cat, just remember sitting on the chair with the cat there, playing & he scratched me.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Yesterday I was medicating a cat at the shelter. He's about 10 and has always been a super sweet guy! I love this cat and would actually love to take him home if I could. He scratched one of the other volunteers in the hand and I thought he did it accidently. I thought no way Ricky is way too sweet to do that on purpose. I had him on top of a cage trying to get the pill in and about the 3rd or 4th time I tried he reached out & swiped at me. He caught me just above the lip & a tiny bit in the lip. I've been caught in the cheek by my Jordan, but man that was nothing compared to this. First of all he needs his claws clipped and I keep Jordan's claws preety short. It actually made my eye water on that side of my face. I thought it would swell up, but it didn't. I'm curious to know how many other people have been clawed in the face. I was supprised by him, but I still love him. I know if someone was trying to shove a pill down my throat I'd be angry too!
Oh dear. I just wonder what the shelter will do, will kitty be pts?

The shelter i was at if they did it two or three times, that meant they were unpredictable and they couldn't sell them
There was a beautiful girl called Heather, she was a b&w tuxedo dsh, she was picky about who she liked, but she took to me instantly. One day months into work, i come in and wonder where she is, and they tell me she was a risk because she scratched two people in a week!!

That annoys me, everyone's been scratched by their own cats, it's normal. And it wasn't at all vicious. Some kitties just get scared or annoyed.

megagene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One time my friend's cat actually hooked his claw into my right eye hole and started stretching/pulling the skin on the outer corner. That was fun as hell.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kit likes to walk across our faces when we're sleeping. One time, he accidentally got me with his claw while doing that. Another time, I was holding him and something scared him, so he tried to jump away... well, he pushed off my face and caught me on the inside of my bottom lip. Nothing to write home about, but not fun!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One day Swanie was (I think) trying to jump up on the headboard from the floor, missed, and ended up in my face. I got a pretty good scratch out of it, on my forehead near the hairline. We're talking about a 16 pound cat - a really fun way to wake up, I can tell you.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not scratched, but Bella bit me (lightly) on the bridge of the nose once

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not deliberate scratches, but Sonic does have a habit of sleeping right next to or even on my face - he usually manages to tread on my face at least once while he's turning around and getting comfy, so I've had a few small scratches from that. Nothing major though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Oh dear. I just wonder what the shelter will do, will kitty be pts?
No way. He will be just fine. We are a no-kill shelter. The only way we put them down is if it is medically necessary. If we find that a cat is more sensitive we are just carefull about who we adopt them to. I would adopt him before I'd let him be PTS for scratching me.

Sometimes I'm amazed at the animals that other shelters call unadoptable. We actually just adopted out a cat that another shelter had deemed unadoptable and wanted to put down. She was very sweet, but a little shy around people. We had her all of 2 months & found her a good home.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have- by Abilene, my kitty that lives with my mom. She was born a feral, and still to this day acts like one on occassion. One day i was in the bathroom washing my face. She was sitting on the counter watching (like she always does) then out of the middle of nowhere she just slapped the devil out of me...she cut a huge gash into the side of my face from my eye down to my nose. I about killed her for that one
Thankfully though it didn't scar.