Horner's (Haws) Syndrome?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vet with Sonic - we noticed over the weekend that his right pupil was sometimes more dilated than his left, and that his third eyelid was showing a little just in his right eye, everything else was completely normal so took him up to the vet during surgery hours today.

Apparently he has idiopathic Horner's syndrome, nothing to worry too much about, take him back in 3 weeks if there's no improvement or if it gets a lot worse.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of this? I know it usually clears up ok by itself, but it just looks a bit odd and worrying if you know what I mean!

G

ghostuser

I haven't personally had any experience with it.. but my boss's dog had it this year. Poor thing looked so pathetic, his eye seemed sunken.. but it didn't seem to bother him too much, and he slowly improved. Hopefully your baby does just as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the good wishes!

It's not very bad at the moment, barely noticeable in fact, the vet said it may get worse before it gets better but try not to worry too much. It's where the nerve that controls the eyelids and muscles that control pupil dilation becomes inflamed and they can't control their eyelids and pupil as well as they should, sometimes the eyeball looks a bit sunken as if they were mid-blink, but fortunately Sonic doesn't have it that bad.

The vet says that most cases don't really have an underlying cause as such and aren't serious, it's possible he may have banged his jaw though as the nerve runs over the bone there. In my view it's more likely the rough play that the boys indulge in that's caused it, but fingers crossed it clears up alright. It doesn't cause discomfort or loss of vision, so that's good

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB cat Sphinx had this and it scared us at first so we took him in tot he vet - who luckly just finished school in eye care for dogs and cats - and recognized it right away. He gave the same advice that it should heal up within 3 weeks and if it didn't get better to bring him back in.

Good luck and give the sweety a kiss for us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greycat2

My RB cat Sphinx had this and it scared us at first so we took him in tot he vet - who luckly just finished school in eye care for dogs and cats - and recognized it right away. He gave the same advice that it should heal up within 3 weeks and if it didn't get better to bring him back in.

Good luck and give the sweety a kiss for us.
Thank you

With Sonic it's really only noticeable if you look really closely, I'm still glad I took him to the vet though, you can't be too careful when it comes to eyecare. I have some antibiotic eye drops as well - one of his eyes was a tiny bit goopy and the vet suggested that we use the drops in case there's an infection starting up that's brought the Horner's on. But he seems to be doing fine, it hasn't gotten any worse at this point and he's taking his treatment like a man (ie lots of whining and fussing
)

He's got to go in for his vaccinations just after Christmas anyway, so even if his eye is better then I'll ask the vet to have a look to make sure the inflammation has gone.