How do you keep your cats out of the trash!!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to scream everytime I hear the trash can get knocked over. I even bought a nice foot pedal one thinking it would be harder to get into and harder to knock over. NOPE! They still knock it over

PLEASE TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!!!!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tell mine NO, and they're not particularly driven to get into it?

What about one with a lid that could clamp onto it, that way if it's tipped the lid stays on. Also -no food scraps, that's just asking for the cats to try something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I tell mine NO, and they're not particularly driven to get into it?

What about one with a lid that could clamp onto it, that way if it's tipped the lid stays on. Also -no food scraps, that's just asking for the cats to try something.
I'll have to look for one that locks.

I try not to put food in the trash, but sometimes I will through things in there like the seeds from the butternut squash and they knock the trash over for that!!!!!
but it drives me crazy!!!!

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The best thing to do if you have cats, or dogs, or even small children, is to keep the garbage out of their reach. You can put it under the sink, or hang a small bag on a doorknob or handle, taking it outside frequently. Or you can get a heavy one with a covered lid. With cats, or dogs, or kids, I have found it's actually easier to prevent the problem than to constantly nag and try to teach them something they may never completely learn or accept. Just keep stuff out of reach if you don't want it messed with, you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

I had a friend who insisted on leaving all her knicknacks and expensive glass items sitting down low and constantly slapped and reprimanded her toddler daughter for messing with them, saying she'd learn eventually but she never totally stopped, and never really got the message of what was and was not okay to touch (until she was old enough to understand words) Personally I'm not putting myself or anyone else through such torture. Just put it in a safer place if you're worried about it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's easy - we have a tall cupboard that is just right for a medium size kitchen trash can. The cats and dogs don't get in there to bother the trash. Only time we have a problem is if they are in the kitchen and we have it open to put trash in. Sometimes Charlie has to investigate too close

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have to do anything at all.
My cats never showed any interest in the trash.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man! I wish I had a cupboard to put the trash can in! That would be so nice!!!!!

Those of you that don't have troubles, man are you lucky! Enzo will get in the trash the second I'm not looking

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Secure lid works for this zoo. Also, organic material goes in the garbage disposal, and the trash gets taken out very frequently. You can always put trash behind a door too.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the main trouble is that the cat is knocking the trashcan over, put something heavy in the bottom (like a brick or two). Also, keep your trash emptied.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep my trash can in the computer room since the cats aren't permitted in there. (I have some cord chewers...) I gave up on the locking trash cans... Even with the locking lid, they would manage to get the top off of it... They're too smart for thier own good!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenniferd

I don't have to do anything at all.
My cats never showed any interest in the trash.
I also have never , ever had even a hint of an interest from any of my kitties with the trash!
I have always reinforced the trash can in the kitchen (which is out in the open always) off limits.......but that doesn't always mean much when it comes to cats!

pennyri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shoot, my 8 mo. kitten is a fiend for the trash too. I have had to learn to be a lot more tidy with him around, as our 4 year old dog has always been so good about leaving things alone.

Even though we have a small bin that fits under the sink cabinet, I had to tie a mega rubberband around the cabinet knobs as he knows how to pry the door open with his face and paw. If he were able to even open it up a bit, it squeezes back on his head making things a bit unpleasant for him--but not painful and he can get out easily but not get further in.

Lately, he seems to be not so passionate about getting in there. Don't know if it's because of my keeping it locked up or if he's just getting older and less scavenge-y.

As I'm pretty lazy, it's probably been a pretty good lesson for me too to put things away, especially keeping the damn dishwasher door closed. He LOVES to get in there.

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Niko started perching his little booty on the edge of the can and started digging around, I got a can with a pop up lid (button on the lid, no foot pedal) and that worked. My aunt, however, had a similar problem as you; her cat would knock it over and have a ball. She ended up putting a few bricks in the bottom of the can (before putting the bag in, of course) and made it bottom heavy to make it harder to tip. Luckily, Niko's not heavy enough to be able to knock it over, even when mine's empty.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a metal can with a pedal to open the lid. I think its too heavy for Ares to knock it over. Ares likes to hang from or sit on top of the lid,
but he's not interested in the trash. (Hypnos is too small to get on top of the lid yet.) I would think about getting a brick to put in the bottom of your can, so that your kitties don't tip it over.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's because two of my cats were born on the farm and learned to find there own food from wherever they could manage.
Leya doesn't get in it, but that's probably for other reasons.

I'm going to try the bricks in the bottom. That was a really good idea!!!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at the ideas from the old thread above. I know when I got a trash can with a lid and the step on pedal they quit getting into the trash. Let us know what works for you!

deathhornet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try placing any condiments with vinegar in their ingredients like jalapeño ketchup or mustard or aloe gel or soap on trash bags and on top of trash can lids

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are supposed to hate the smell of oranges (I've never noticed if mine do). Walmart sells an air freshener spray that's pure orange oil- I wonder if spritzing that in the can regularly would dissuade them from raiding it. 

Just looked at my can and it's called "Pure Citrus Orange Air Freshener". I guess I'll consider myself fortunate that I've never had trouble with kitties and garbage cans. They cause enough mischief as it is!