Why does he attack me?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I've posted this before but I still don't understand why Popsie attacks my arm in bed. This morning I was laying there petting him and I put my arm down, I didn't move or anything and he just attacked my arm. I told him no in a stern voice and then he started to walk toward the end of my bed. He turned around and lunged at my arm and bit me again!! I know he's not playing because he lays back his ears and I can just tell he's upset. I just don't understand why he would attack me without being provoked. Also if I happen to have my arm laying on the bed and he walks over it to get to the end of the bed, he'll turn around and attack. It's like he doesn't realize he's the one who walked over my arm. He's 16 so I wonder if these are episodes of dementia.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ophelia does this. That in itself should be an explanation.

It may just be one of his "quirks". At some point in his life, he may have been laying in a bed & someone hit him hard with their arm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Ophelia does this. That in itself should be an explanation.

It may just be one of his "quirks". At some point in his life, he may have been laying in a bed & someone hit him hard with their arm.
Well, he just recently started doing it. Like within the past year.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe his senses aren't as sharp as they used to be or he's just feeling his age? Humans get achy, tired, and in bad moods so it wouldn't be impossible for a cat to feel that way too. Does he ever look annoyed or kind of touchy if you pet a certain spot on some days?
A vet visit specifically to check his eyes and see if he's sore anywhere might be a good idea.

Other then that, I really don't know.
I've never had a cat, especially an indoor cat, behave that way. I tend to make it very clear with hissing and ignoring the offensive cat that I don't like certain behavior -but that probably wouldn't work for many other people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Does he ever look annoyed or kind of touchy if you pet a certain spot on some days?
Yeah, he does. So I guess I can just chalk it up to being a grumpy old grouch butt.