Doesn't like sisal/cardboard?

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three scratching posts: one wrapped in carpet, one wrapped in natural, un-oiled sisal, and one of those corrugated cardboard ramp things. Now, Niko refuses to use anything BUT the carpeted one, no matter how I try to entice him. I've tried food, catnip, physically handling his paws to scratch at the surfaces, showing him what to do by scratching it myself, dangling his fav toys on them, etc.

I was thinking about covering them with carpet to see if he'd use 'em, but I remember hearing something about carpet not being safe- forget where I got that from, though. Is this true? What would be the safest type of carpeting to use? The other one's getting kinda raggedy and I want him to have multiple outlets to unleash his kitten fury.

He's a pretty good boy, though.. never having really used anything he wasn't supposed to for scratching. *knocks on wood*

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get one of those cheap tight knotted carpets. It's really flat and suprisingly durable. And cheap is the key, so it doesn't cost much to replace once it is worn out. My guys love to use carpet (the stuff on the floor.)

I'm not sure on the dangers but I know someone on here used carpet to coat a home-made cat tree.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carpet isn't unsafe. It's that most people are trying to teach their cats that carpet isn't for scratching and having it on the cats posts could send conflicting messages. But if that's all your cat likes and he's learned that others spots are off limits for scratching, then there shouldn't be a problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Carpet isn't unsafe. It's that most people are trying to teach their cats that carpet isn't for scratching and having it on the cats posts could send conflicting messages. But if that's all your cat likes and he's learned that others spots are off limits for scratching, then there shouldn't be a problem.
That's good to know. I thought it might have had something to do with the occasional piece of fluff that dislodges from carpeted posts. Luckily, he doesn't eat the fuzz.
And yah, he only scratches his post, nothing else.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should see how messy the cardboard ones are, little bits of paper everywhere. But my boys love them, so I put up with the mess.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's scratching the post and doesn't eat the fluff, it's no problem whatsoever.

You're just lucky in having found what it is that he likes to scratch. That's the tricky bit with scratching posts usually. Often people just try the one scratching post and then say they've tried scratching posts when the cat doesn't use it. Usually they just need to experiment a bit more to find out what sort of scratching post their cat wants.

You've done that, which is fantastic, so yay! to you and Niko.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with carpet. My cat also prefers the carpeted posts. He won't touch cardboard or rope scratchers.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it is a personal kitty preference.. Zoey likes wood and sisel .. Kandie used it all ... Simon liked wood

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

it is a personal kitty preference.. Zoey likes wood and sisel .. Kandie used it all ... Simon liked wood
Yanno.. I never thought of just wood. Just, like a log secured to a base, or something? I have seen some scratch posts like that for sale, but they want $20+ for 'em. I bet I could make one easily. *crafting wheels o' turning*

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My RB girl Tiger pefered carpet. And she didn't like it if it was verticle such as on a scratching post. She prefered an extra piece of carpet laying on the floor. Fortunately she was pretty good about sticking to that piece we had for her. Although the carpet in the hallway and in my old bedroom needs replacing from her scratching to get in and out of my room every night. We always joked that I needed a cat door to my bedroom.