What would you do with a gift cert to a spice store??

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents asked what we needed for Christmas, and I thought since I have been trying so many different recipes lately, that I would ask to update my spice cabinet. She decided they're going to give us a gift certificate for Penzey's Spices, which is an awesome spice store we have here (Don't know if anyone else has this) www.penzeys.com
I am familiar with some spices, but I have seen in their catalogue some things I never even heard of, such as Vindaloo? And 4 different types of cinnamon? I am going to look them all up online before we actually go to buy stuff, and I know some things I am getting, like bay leaves, but I was wondering if there's anything you'd prefer to get?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My MIL shops from that catalog. She ordered spices for her son to make ribs. I guess pick a few recipes you want to try and go from there.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get ALL my herbs/spices from Penzey's!!!

I use their 4S seasoned Salt all the time. Also the California seasoned pepper, Mureal of Flavor and Tuscan Sunset. Can't forget about the Fox Point seasoning and too Chili Con Carne. I like their Buttermilk Ranch dip and dressing mix too-a little goes a long way.
I would recommend to get the smaller containers as you can use them faster (don't store by any heat sources). Their hot cocoa mixes and vanilla are good too.
Feel free to ask away as I either have or triend most of their stuff!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Gail! I knew you'd be along soon with Penzey knowledge! LOL
So what do you use those on? It's such a cute store, I just loved going in there. The one I found last night had been there 2 years and I never knew!

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a great gift! I'm always making bread for me and the roomies to eat, so I love experimenting with spices and herbs. I'd probably buy a ton of different Italian spices and other herbs to mix in my bread dough. I've never heard of Penzeys, so I'm gonna go look there now!! Le Gourmet Chef is one of my favorite stores for fun spices and kitchenware! They have the most AMAZING dips.

-Kristen

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I get ALL my herbs/spices from Penzey's!!!

I use their 4S seasoned Salt all the time. Also the California seasoned pepper, Mureal of Flavor and Tuscan Sunset. Can't forget about the Fox Point seasoning and too Chili Con Carne. I like their Buttermilk Ranch dip and dressing mix too-a little goes a long way.
I would recommend to get the smaller containers as you can use them faster (don't store by any heat sources). Their hot cocoa mixes and vanilla are good too.
Feel free to ask away as I either have or tried most of their stuff!!
The 4S salt I use instead of plain salt and the seasoned pepper instead of regular pepper.
The Fox Point is when I want to give anything a bit of onion/shallot flavor (say scrambled eggs). The Tuscan Sunset has a bit of an italian flavor.
The dip for when I want veggie dip and the chili seasoning instead of chili powder.
If you like Mexican try the taco ones instead of buying those taco seasoning packets-you don't have to use alot of the Penzey's stuff at all.
My parents like the hot cocoa mix.
Their "plain" herbs -like basil for instance are a much higher quality than the stuff in the grocery store-who knows how long some of that stuff sits on the shelf-vs a higher turnover of Penzey's stuff.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I DO have three dressing mixes (I have yet to try some of them though!) The Italian dressing is my absolute favorite! Try this once: take a little of it and mix it with the oil and vinegar, and take some ripe cherry tomatoes, cut them 2 ways but leave them whole with the points upward, like a flower. (Or the Little Shop of Horrors plant, whichever you'd like to imagine) Drizzle the dressing on them, then sprinkle with feta cheese and eat like that. MAN that is good!!! Would make a great appetizer.
Though I could eat the whole plate!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention the Mural of Flavor is salt free-I use it on lots of veggies for a flavor boost!!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to cook and I cook with spices daily. Such a wonderful gift! Here are my suggestions.
Like the song, Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Essential. As are oregano, paprika (both hot and mild), marjoram, bay leaves and basil leaves. Any kind of cinnamon is fine, just make sure to include cinnamon sticks. To make things "really spicy" add cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, Chinese 5 spice powder and Jamaican Jerk seasoning.
Oh! My name is Rosemary so guess which one is my favorite spice?

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Of course I have had vindaloo. That is why I go out for Indian food.
I was talking about the OP,

It is good isn't it!!

I have a Pakistani friend who makes his own Spices. His business is just up and running now. He makes the BEST vindaloo type curry spice!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go crazy and buy lots of unique spices/etc that i've been wanting to try out in new recipes!!!!
I would soo have fun with a unique gift cert. like that! I hope you have picking out lots of new things to try!!! (let us know what you get and if it's any good!
)

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Vindaloo is out! Thanks for THAT tip! I can handle spice but not too much. Thanks for everyone's advice, it is helping me decide!