my annoying fat boy

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 9 month old male peaches currently weighs 12 pounds, I know it is because he eats, or tries to eat everything in site, I give him and my other 3 cats plenty of their own food and I try my best not to let him or the others eat people food but he is sneaky, he hangs around my feet when I am cooking something like steak then follows me to the table and tries his darndest to sneak a piece, he has a few times, and on the rare ocassions that I treat them to one piece each he will gobble down his then go eat the other cats pieces, I have to be there to shoo him away from the other cats pieces, even when I am done and put the plate in the sink he will jump up and lick the juice off the plate, is there something I can do to stop him from being such a pig?

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Different kitties have different nutritional needs so maybe you could try switching his food to something more filling! I Have a pigme cat too, he's 15 lbs but he's 7 years old too. Is he tall? I think cats keep growing until they are at least a year old?? Not too sure though!! What kinda food does he get right now?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KariCassie

when I am done and put the plate in the sink he will jump up and lick the juice off the plate, is there something I can do to stop him from being such a pig?
First - at least rinse the dishes off when you're done eating. This will prevent him or the others from licking up anything that may disagree with them. (It's also easier to wash them later and not as disgusting.)

What type of cat is he? Some cats are larger then others, so 12lbs may not be overweight for him.
What do you feed the cats and how? A few portioned meals during the day or free fed?

If you don't want him asking for hand outs off your plate, don't give that to the others. Cats are not able to understand why their other house mates get a snack and he doesn't, or that the other piece isn't for him. Be consistent with telling them all NO when they try to get into your food and don't leave it unguarded.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he is the only one that tries to sneak food off my plate, the others hang around but don't try anything, when I give them a treat I don't give the treat to the others and not him, he gets his share then tries to eat theirs too, most of the time they get meow mix, it is what they have grown up on, this month however they got a generic kind, my parents had an extra bag, they eat it though, I put it in a big plastic bowl and they pretty much free feed, I don't know what breed he is, I am not sure if I have a photo of him or not, I will look and post if I do.