Hypnos does the weirdest thing

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, has anyone else had this experience? Anytime Hypnos is by the food bowls and either needs food or is finishing a meal, he scratches/paws around the food bowl. Ares looks at him like he's nuts
- I think its funny but wonder if there is a behavioral reason for it?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I believe it is instinct to cover the food when they are done to hide their presence. Much will do this after she's done. Lucy does it when she doesn't like the food.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whitey does that too...he's even flipped a few bowls and left a mess.

I just think of it as natural instinct, that he's "burying" the food to hide it for later.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Lucy does it when she doesn't like the food.
Originally Posted by lunasmom

he's "burying" the food to hide it for later.
Agreed. When Junior wasn't feeling well, he would walk over to the bowl, "bury" it, and walk away several times before actually eating anything. It was like he didn't want to eat it but eventually got hungry enough he had to. When he felt better he quit doing it.

Mez

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always thought that if they "bury" before they eat anything, then they think the food is yucky, and if they do it after they eat, they are saving the rest for later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oops! Well, I hope he doesn't find the food yucky
Sometimes he will scratch when his bowl is empty, but typically he scratches when he is finished with his meal, so I am going with burying it for later. Thanks for the behavior info!

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
kit always does this. He'll "bury" it after he eats. Sometimes, he'll go over to his food, sniff it, and then "bury" it. I always take that second maneuver as meaning, "This again?"
I sure hope he doesn't think is food is akin to what he buries in his litterbox!

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ya my little girl sabrina will...eat for a little bit..then walk around the bowl and scratch the floor (she doesn't use claws though)..a few times then go back to eating it...
funny cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

If he scratches/paws around the food dish, maybe he is hoping for a genie in the cat dish.
Hehe - knowing Hypnos, this is possible