OMG!! An earthquake!!

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I felt a huge rumble and I asked my boyfriend if it was an earthquake and he said, "no, its just a plane". Well, the news was just on and it was an earthquake--3. something or other.
I can't believe it!
I never thought that would happen here.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live but I have never experienced an earthquake. However I woke up at 1am with the loudest, most frightening winds EVER around the house. We face the coast so it felt really bad. Sadly the first thing I did was run down and check on Harry!!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never experienced an earthquake but my Dad has on his trip to San Fransisco. He said that the office chairs were sliding back and forth across the floor.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how scarry
we're long over due for one in the midsouth area- so i'm always paranoid we'll get one someday!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wow! I didn't think NC had them! but then I didn't think that Ohio could have them either

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My family and I were living in Italy November of 1980 when an earthquake hit 6.2 and second one 6.8. Spookiest thing I have ever experienced. When the earth moves like that you know just how small you are in the scope of things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

When the earth moves like that you know just how small you are in the scope of things.
Exactly!! Its really weird thinking about the Earth shifting like that!

To quote Morgan Earp in Tombstone, "Its amazing--God made all this and still remembered to make a little ol' speck like me".

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think if I were in the middle of an open field I might be OK with experiencing a 'real' earthquake. Otherwise I'm good! I did feel a tremor once when I was a kid. Other times I've felt things but not heard of them being actual seismic activity.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Jan 17, 1994, at 4:30am my hubby and I were awakened to waves in our waveless waterbed. Hubby says, "I think we are having an earthquake" I said "I think you are right" Then we went back to sleep. We woke up to find that there was a major earthquake about 100 miles south of us. This was the Northridge Quake. So much damage and loss of life.

I felt one about a year ago at work. It was a small one, but caused a gasp from all of the other reps. No damage except for a few nerves.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I think if I were in the middle of an open field I might be OK with experiencing a 'real' earthquake. Otherwise I'm good! I did feel a tremor once when I was a kid. Other times I've felt things but not heard of them being actual seismic activity.
I heard that even if you're in a empty field, you can still get pretty hurt by one. I would imagine that those waves, if strong enough, could toss people right off their feet!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was still living in Seattle when they had their fairly big rumble a few years back.
Now, I know what you're supposed to do during a quake, but me, I got up and stood sprawled all over my wall unit to keep my TVs safe

One of my birds jumped off her cage and ran to me, crawled up my body, nuzzled against my neck and just kept repeating It's ok, it's ok.
I'm not sure if she was trying to comfort me, or herself.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've felt a couple of mild earthquakes here in Chicago. If we get a big one, we're toast!

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That so scary. I like my ground firm.
I've experienced I tiny earth quake, it just made the glasses in the cupboards jingle.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

On Jan 17, 1994, at 4:30am my hubby and I were awakened to waves in our waveless waterbed. Hubby says, "I think we are having an earthquake" I said "I think you are right" Then we went back to sleep. We woke up to find that there was a major earthquake about 100 miles south of us. This was the Northridge Quake. So much damage and loss of life.

I felt one about a year ago at work. It was a small one, but caused a gasp from all of the other reps. No damage except for a few nerves.
Oh gosh I remember that one it was pretty bad, Plus the big one that was in Whitter. I have lived in California most of my life and living in the Inland Empire the last 10 we have had lots not big but still wakes ya up. You never get used to them either.
But were right on a fault here so we even feel all the little ones, doors will move some hanging lamps will be swinging not fun for sure.
Plus I live in a 2 story I think its worse when your upstairs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

One of my birds jumped off her cage and ran to me, crawled up my body, nuzzled against my neck and just kept repeating It's ok, it's ok. I'm not sure if she was trying to comfort me, or herself.
Awwww!!! How sweet!!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the SF Bay area, so earthquakes are a part of life. I was coming home from SF in a new vanpool van and we did not feel the big 1989 Loma Prieta 7.1 quake - the one that collapsed a section of the Bay Bridge (we were already over the bridge) and delayed the World Series between the A's (go A's) and the Giants. I rushed into the house and there was 3 year old daughter Jenny and her nanny calmly watching the Dumbo video. Amanda, the nanny, told me that she took Jenny to the door frame (where they were supposed to go) and everything was okay except that Amanda got seasick by watching the earthquake making our pool look like the Pacific.
Jenny - soon to be 21 - still loves Dumbo. Needless to say, anything Dumbo I buy for her.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will never forget the quake we had in WA state a couple of years ago...one of the scariest moments of my life.

I heard a loud booming sound as if something were pounding on the roof of our home - 3x - was just heading out to the front door to see if someone was outside when the house began to slide (the house is on a slab). I realized it was an earthquake and stood in the doorway between my kitchen and dining room - near the front door. I watched as the walls of the house bowed out and remember praying because I thought the house was about to fall apart.

I never, ever want to be near an earthquake any closer or one that is shallow...I live north of where the quake, which was a few miles down) occured.
Bookie was extremely ill at this time, and we lost her 2 days later. The quake and losing her will always be tied in my memory.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living in California all my life, you just get used to the quakes. There is a quake somewhere here everyday... most are not even felt by anyone.

The bad thing about earthquakes tho is they come without warning. With hurricanes, you have time to prepare... and tornados too.. (even tho they don't have that much of a warning)

On a funny note.... I remember in the late 60's there was a prediction of a big quake that was supposed to happen. they had it pinpointed to the exact day and hour. The quake was supposed to cause the coast of California to drop off into the ocean, thereby making where I live coastal property.

Well, where were we at the exact hour of the predicted quake? We were sitting the beach! LOL My brother had his watch out and was counting down the seconds to the time of the quake. He was sooooo disappointed that the quake didn't happen! It was soooo funny to see the look on his face. But there were people that really believed it would happen and headed to the mountains!