Men, help me understand this, lol. (woman too!)

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, my parents sent my husband and I a gift card for Christmas to Target and I really want to get my husband a nice winter outfit. Frankly, he doesn't have one really spare his military jacket and old jeans that he's so fond of.
Anyways, he swears that he will never wear sweaters or long sleeved shirts because "They look silly on me."

IMO, no guy looks silly in a sweater unless it's dyed in a rainbow swirl!

Anyways, we're going to see his mom for Christmas and I want him to look good in something other than his ACU's. How in the world am I supposed to do this when he won't budge a bit to try anything on? I swear he's acting like a 5 year old.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take him shopping and ask his opinion. Have him pick out things he likes. Unless it's something really dumb. Then intervene.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Okay, my parents sent my husband and I a gift card for Christmas to Target and I really want to get my husband a nice winter outfit. Frankly, he doesn't have one really spare his military jacket and old jeans that he's so fond of.
Anyways, he swears that he will never wear sweaters or long sleeved shirts because "They look silly on me."

IMO, no guy looks silly in a sweater unless it's dyed in a rainbow swirl!

Anyways, we're going to see his mom for Christmas and I want him to look good in something other than his ACU's. How in the world am I supposed to do this when he won't budge a bit to try anything on? I swear he's acting like a 5 year old.
first men dont get outfits so maybe dont use that word with him

next no man looks good in a sweater or better yet,
no man feels good in a sweater

extra money is to be spent on toys. not on worthless items like colthes.

unless his mother gave him up at birth, I am sure his mother knows very well what he looks like, its time to get away from having to dress up every day, and wear colthes that feel good.

Next as i have told the wife a few times, i know how to dress myself, i dont need your help, lol dont add stress to your life , just leave it alone

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always use the good old trick "But I think you would look sexy hot in a sweater"

Then....*ahem*....when he wears it the first couple of times and pretty soon he'll be wearing it on his own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the insight theimp98!

Originally Posted by lunasmom

I always use the good old trick "But I think you would look sexy hot in a sweater"
Tried that, hasn't worked yet.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Thanks for the insight theimp98!

Tried that, hasn't worked yet.
Not even if you're at the store holding the sweater, and walk up really close to him and
*sigh*
*bat eyes*
"You really would look sexy"
*lick lips*

If still no, then whisper some "favor" that you'll do for him later

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe take it in baby steps. start out maybe getting him to wear like buttoned up long sleeve shirts that he can roll the sleeves up in and then slowly move to heavier materials.
As for the jeans, think maybe you can find pretty much the same pair for him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

As for the jeans, think maybe you can find pretty much the same pair for him?
Kind of hard since we got him his favorite jeans in Korea. I did find a nice pair on Target's website but I have no clue what's the 'in' for guys. I like the relaxed straight legged fit. He doesn't care, as usual.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Back when we were dating I could get DH into a sweater. I got him this on HOTTT sweater once. It was dark gray and had the one blue stripe across the chest. I used to tell him I got it to match my eyes because that stripe does hit at my eye level pretty much when I'm standing next to him!
I also got him this goldish-tan color one that was more of a knit and really soft. The only time he wears that is when I put it out and say WEAR THAT!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't have to be a sweater, they make lots of stylish button up long sleeve shirts, and pull over long sleeve shirts. Maybe he'd prefer something like that?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell him you'd really like him to look his best for Christmas and to surprise his mom by wearing a new sweather. Get him one in a mute shade- not too bright - maybe a blue/grey with just a little color to wear with jeans.

My DH doesn't like pullover sweaters and only likes the sweatshirts if he's working on something and its cold. I think he looks great and kinda sexy in them, but he really doesn't like them. I did finally convinence him to let me buy him a pair of blue dress pants (he only wants black/grey/tan).

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As a guy, I'll tell you straight up that I *HATE* sweaters! As theimp98 said, I don't like how sweaters look or feel on me. Also, since I wear dress shirts to work every day, it's very unusual to find me in a button-down shirt at home (long- or short-sleeve). But, I do have a couple of jean material long-sleeve button-down shirts with sports logos on them that I'll wear during the winter when hanging out with friends. If he's into sports you might try finding something like that for him.

Mez

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband doesn't like sweaters either. His non-work clothes are jeans, t-shirt, and a hoodie. He wears docker type pants and a button up shirt for work usually.

I really don't care that he doesn't like sweaters. If he doesn't try to make me wear pink, I won't try to make him wear sweaters.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, you need to get 2 presents. One is the sweater from you for him. The other is the present he got you, which is a very expensive sexy negligence (in black or red). Then you tell him that you would be cold in said negligence unless he wears that sweater to keep you warm!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
DH won't wear sweaters, either. (He was also in the military--wonder if there's a connection???). He does wear nice longer-sleeved shirts, though, usually in some sueded or sandwashed silk stuff, in dark colors. He always looks so nice, too.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Okay, you need to get 2 presents. One is the sweater from you for him. The other is the present he got you, which is a very expensive sexy negligence (in black or red). Then you tell him that you would be cold in said negligence unless he wears that sweater to keep you warm!
Hmm, I do believe that just might convince me to wear a sweater (at least for a little bit)

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a nice dark colored tshirt, a button down flannel shirt and a nice pair of jeans? If he is anything like my SO, if it does not have holes in it, ink or grease on it, and all the buttons are there, he IS dressed up.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know very few men who will wear a sweater.
I say leave it be...if the guy doesn't like sweaters, why knock yourself out trying to force him into one?

I think in their minds, they all look like Cliff Huxtable in a sweater.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeremy is a t-shirt, shorts and baseball cap kinda guy.
His idea of dressing up is a t-shirt without holes, and khaki shorts or jeans and a clean ball cap.

I had to threaten him with bodily harm (from his mother) to get him into his suit for his best friend's funeral.