TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Savoury Party Treats!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Savoury Party Treats!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi all

I'm looking for some recipes for fairly simple party food. I'm having friends over next weekend and I want nibbles rather than making a meal for them!

I'd love any suggestions anyone has...........
post #2 of 13
One of my favourites is hot artichoke dip with various crackers. There are lots of recipes on the internet - just google artichoke dip.

Crudite platters with good dips are always good.

Spinach dip in a hollowed out pumpernickel loaf is always good. I cut up the piece I remove from the centre of the loaf into finger size servings and put them around the platter that holds the loaf and dip.

Pate(s) with crackers or cocktail breads are good as well

Cheese tray with fruit

Fruit tray with the cream cheese dip made especially for dipping fruit and/or a chocolate dip as well.

Small crackers with cream cheese, smoked salmon and capers are nice as well.

And, of course the old standby - Shrimp rings (I love shrimp).

Costco have some wonderful appetizers now that you just put in the oven frozen and voila - wonderful finger foods.
post #3 of 13
I have to second the spinach artichoke dip. Here's my recipe:

1/4C Butter
1 10oz Package frozen chopped spinach
1 Can Artichoke Hearts (drained and roughly chopped)
12 oz Cream Cheese softened to room temp
1 8oz container sour cream
2 cups Grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese, separated
5 Cloves Minced Garlic - I use MUCH more

In a large saute pan, add spinach, artichokes, garlic and butter and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.

Next add all remaining ingredients except for 1 cup of the cheese and cook till mixture is smooth and thickened. (8-10 minutes) Pour into small greased casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven until bubbly.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysMom View Post
I have to second the spinach artichoke dip. Here's my recipe:

1/4C Butter
1 10oz Package frozen chopped spinach
1 Can Artichoke Hearts (drained and roughly chopped)
12 oz Cream Cheese softened to room temp
1 8oz container sour cream
2 cups Grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese, separated
5 Cloves Minced Garlic - I use MUCH more

In a large saute pan, add spinach, artichokes, garlic and butter and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.

Next add all remaining ingredients except for 1 cup of the cheese and cook till mixture is smooth and thickened. (8-10 minutes) Pour into small greased casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven until bubbly.
Oooh sounds good!
post #5 of 13
Here is a very nice spicy Mexican Dip that is yummy with toasted pita's
nachos or crackers.

1cup Salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
1 package cream cheese (room temperature)
chopped garlic (2 cloves)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

Mix everything together in a food processor or a blender.

Also this is a really nice crab meat cheese spread that goes really well with toast spears or bread sticks.

5 oz crab or lobster meat ( sea-legs works it just doesn't taste as good)
1 package cream cheese
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 tea black pepper
1/4 tea dill

Mix everything together in a food processor or a blender.
post #6 of 13
A few of our favourite finger foods...

Spread small crackers with garlic butter and top with a few shrimp.

Spread flour tortillas with cream cheese, sprinkle each tortilla with a tablespoon or so each of chopped green onion and dried cranberries, roll up and chill for an hour or so, then cut into one-inch pieces.

Soften goat cheese with a few tablespoons of any fruit juice, till the consistency of soft butter, fill tiny filo tart shells with the mixture and top with your choice of garnish: mincemeat, jam, a few pomegranate seeds are some of our favourites.

Those are just off the top of my head, but I'll think some more...
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
They all sound really good guys. I'll look forward to trying them out especially the Mexican dip and those tortilla wraps! Yummy
post #8 of 13
Having trouble concentrating today , so I thought I'd look up some others...

Goat cheese appetizer

10-12 sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
olive oil
2 tbsp capers
handful of fresh basil, coarsely chopped
ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1 round goat's cheese

Soak sundried tomatoes in oil for half an hour. Mix together capers, basil,
pepper, garlic, a bit of oil from the tomatoes and tomatoes themselves.
Place goat's cheese in small oven-safe dish and pour mixture over top. Warm under the grill for 5-10 minutes and serve with crackers, mini toasts or
French bread slices.

Note: I use sundried tomatoes packed in oil -- saves time. You do still need a little of the oil.

~~~~~~~~~

CHEESE CRISPY WAFERS


2 c \tGrated Extra Old White Cheddar
2 c \tRice Krispies
1 c \tMargarine
1¾ -2 c Flour
\tGarlic to taste
\tCayenne to taste

Mix all above together until well blended and can be formed by hand into a ball. Put on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten lightly with floured fork. Bake in 350 oven until light golden brown. About 20 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a dead easy that I resisted for many years and then tried because I was short on time. It got rave reviews twenty-odd years ago, and still does. One of my favourite "copouts". The proper name is "Blue Cheese Bites", but we just call them...

Those Cheese Things

1 pkg (10) refrigerator biscuits
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese

Separare biscuits and cut each into 4 pieces. Arrange in 2 8" round cake tins.

Melt cheese and butter together. It makes a truly gross looking mess -- don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, then drizzle over the biscuit pieces.

Bake in a 400 F oven 12-15 minutes, or until golden. Serve hot or cold.

~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Tapenade

1 cup (250 ml) ripe olives, pitted
4 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 Tbs (30 ml) capers
6 Tbs (90 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp (5 ml) each dried thyme, rosemary, and oregano
1 tsp (5 ml) anchovy paste, or 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until well
chopped but still in individual pieces. Alternately, finely chop the
olives, garlic, and capers, and combine in a small bowl with the
remaining ingredients. Serve chilled or at room temperature with
toasted slices of French bread or crackers. Will keep refrigerated
for several weeks. Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer.

~~~~~~~~

Ok, that's all I have here at work, but if they're helpful, they're yours.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post

Ok, that's all I have here at work, but if they're helpful, they're yours.
That is so kind of you to take the time, thank you! I'll definitely give a couple of those a go. Thanks again!
post #10 of 13
Do you like the combination of sweet and meat? I have an awesome recipe for croissant wrapped lil' smokies with honey, brown sugar, butter and pecans glaze that people BEG me to make for them.....PM me (anyone who wants it) if you want the recipe. If they like seafood, you could do this oyster stew that ROCKS as a dish too. It's easy. I got the recipe from a culinary genious on here and I make it every Christmas.
post #11 of 13
I'll re-post this from awhile back. It's a recipe I invented on the spur of the moment, for a party. I think I used almost 3 cans of the ham, not 1. I think it made 24 rolls (?). Anyway, they were soooo good when still warm, and heat up ok in the microwave (about 10-20 seconds).

EASY HAM CHEDDAR BUNDLES

3 tubes of crescent rolls
1-3 can(s) Hormel chunked ham, flaked
1 Tbl spicy mustard
Approx. 1 cup shredded cheddar

Open the rolls (the fun part!). Separate the triangles. Mix the rest of the ingredients. Spoon by tablespoons onto the triangles; twist each into a bundle (shaped rather like a Hershey's Kiss). Bake on a cookie sheet per tube instructions. Best when piping hot, but heat up well, too. Makes 24 (or 3x what the tube serves).
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by menagerie mama View Post
Do you like the combination of sweet and meat? I have an awesome recipe for croissant wrapped lil' smokies with honey, brown sugar, butter and pecans glaze that people BEG me to make for them.....PM me (anyone who wants it) if you want the recipe. If they like seafood, you could do this oyster stew that ROCKS as a dish too. It's easy. I got the recipe from a culinary genious on here and I make it every Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeCat View Post
I'll re-post this from awhile back. It's a recipe I invented on the spur of the moment, for a party. I think I used almost 3 cans of the ham, not 1. I think it made 24 rolls (?). Anyway, they were soooo good when still warm, and heat up ok in the microwave (about 10-20 seconds).

EASY HAM CHEDDAR BUNDLES

3 tubes of crescent rolls
1-3 can(s) Hormel chunked ham, flaked
1 Tbl spicy mustard
Approx. 1 cup shredded cheddar

Open the rolls (the fun part!). Separate the triangles. Mix the rest of the ingredients. Spoon by tablespoons onto the triangles; twist each into a bundle (shaped rather like a Hershey's Kiss). Bake on a cookie sheet per tube instructions. Best when piping hot, but heat up well, too. Makes 24 (or 3x what the tube serves).
those sound so good!! I make pigs-in-a-blanket with crescent rolls, I use lil smokies and wrap them up in half of a half a packaged crescent roll and bake (it helps to heat the lil smokies up a bit first though, they can sometimes not heat up all the up in the oven)
post #13 of 13
That all sounds awesome! This thread is making me hungry!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Savoury Party Treats!