Doctor rant

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
So this morning I went to the doctor because I have had lots of problems with depression in the last few weeks. Unfortunately I don't have a family doctor so I had to go to the walk-in clinic.

So I see the doctor and try my best to explain to her what's going on (I'm ok most of the time, but once a day or once every two days I'll sink into a deep depression for a few hours.) Mind you she didn't have much time, so I had a good 10 minutes with her to explain my problems.

So she wrote me a prescription for anti-depressants and told me to come back in 3 weeks.

I couldn't really read the prescription so I didn't know what she had prescribed until after I bought it. Cost me a little over $30 after my medication insurance.

Now I just did some research online about the medication and it's meant to treat MAJOR depression, and usually used if other medications (from the Prozac family) fail. It is also known to increase the risk of suicide for those under 24 (I'm 29, so I should be safe, I guess) and can create withdrawal symptoms when stopped.

Not that bad except that... I don't have major depression. I can still function and I am ok most of the time. I have also never taken any anti-depressants before.

Ok, the medication can also apparently be used for anxiety and I have had anxiety in the past (not right now). But she didn't tell me that she wanted to treat my anxiety at the same time. She probably figured that I didn't need to know about that... I mean... I'm just the patient.

My biggest problem was that she didn't explain to me what she was prescribing and why. She just gave me the paper and that was it. She didn't mention the possibility of counseling either. Or maybe that's just a last recourse if medication fails.

Maybe I should have asked those things, but I didn't really have the time.

So now instead of feeling better, I feel helpless. I can't afford a psychologist (they start at around $50 per session) What I need to find is a doctor (or psychiatrist) who will listen to me.
I don't think I'll take the medications. At least not without a second opinion from a better doctor.

Now where on earth can I find a good doctor?

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I do not really trust doctors. I could go on and on about it really.
I went to the doctor once for joint pain and she (without even examining me) just told me that I need to loose weight.
A few months back I was pregnant, I had an extremely sharp pain in my side. I went to the emergency room. I was there for HOURS and they were going to send me home. I went in at 10:15 in the morning and was there until 5 that evening. Finally they got me in to see my regular ob doctor and he immediately scheduled me for emergency surgery, it turned out I had an ectopic pregnancy and my tube had ruptured.
I had problems with depression after my last baby was born and a simple switch of the birth control I was on fixed it.
Anyway, good luck.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does not sound like the correct medication for you, IMO! There can be many underlying causes for depression. Why don't doctors try to find out the root cause instead of throwing pills at people? I went through a phase of depression when I was hypothyroid; it went away when I received proper treatment. I've read that anti-depressants do not work if the cause of depression is low thyroid levels.

My sister went on anti-depressants (she was undiagnosed hypothyroid) and she had a terrible reaction with dizzyness and fainted in her laundry room while she was by herself and hit the floor unconscious.

Maybe you could research via internet diseases that have a side-effect of depression and see if you have other symptoms? The fact that the depression comes in waves with you might mean it's hormonal and comes and goes with the fluctuation of the hormone levels.

These days you have to try to find answers yourself, it seems, and then find a doctor who will listen. I hope you find some answers soon, good luck!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in an outpatient mental health clinic, and I've seen a lot of clients come in feeling helpless after seeing an MD for depression issues. All they seem to do is prescribe meds to them, which don't work, and don't 'fix' the issue.

Have you called around to local Counseling Clinic's to get referrals to a cheaper clinic, with a sliding scale for payment?

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

That does not sound like the correct medication for you, IMO! There can be many underlying causes for depression. Why don't doctors try to find out the root cause instead of throwing pills at people?

These days you have to try to find answers yourself, it seems, and then find a doctor who will listen. I hope you find some answers soon, good luck!
This is my issue with so many doctors. They give you something for the symptoms instead of diagnosing why it's happening.

I was suffering awful mood swings and feeling really down and,as with mom2raven, by taking 6 months off birth control and changing pills my symptoms disappeared. I had seen 3 doctors and it was the third one who was finally sympathetic and had something constructive to say.

I really hope you find a good doctor as I have.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You need to go see a psychiatrist. They are specialized in that field. I would also look into counseling, if you feel that it isn't major. I wouldn't take ANY medication until I've done that. I have suffered with major depression for over 15 years. I used to work at a doctor's office and some people saw their primary doctor's for mental illness. That really upsets me because I feel that internist doctors are not qualified to treat that. Nor do they have the time. It seems like you can hardly say what your symptoms are before they are shoving you out the door with a script. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will say from personal experience, that many of those meds do not always help mild depression. I get the same thing... every so often I feel down and need something...

I currently take St. John's Wort, an herbal extract, which you can find at many shops... even grocery stores... it is a mild natural 'mood enhancer' and is perfectly fine for mild symptoms. Prozac and its family members have done nothing for me in the past except make me feel worse... so if you are uneasy about taking them (i was, but opted to trust the doctor... bad move), try something natural for a while... see if it helps. if you are unsure of my recommendation, talk to an herbalist or someone along those lines... if you go to GNC or someplace like Whole Foods, they have people who know that department and know the herbals. But St. John's Wort has been used for many years now for this.

When you can afford it, get a recommendation for a psychiatrist. they're the ones who can prescribe, and what they do is 'fine tune' the prescription for you. If you choose down the road to stay with meds. they didn't do much for me, but everyone is different.

Good luck!
Amanda

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I work in an outpatient mental health clinic, and I've seen a lot of clients come in feeling helpless after seeing an MD for depression issues. All they seem to do is prescribe meds to them, which don't work, and don't 'fix' the issue.

Have you called around to local Counseling Clinic's to get referrals to a cheaper clinic, with a sliding scale for payment?
You need to start asking people in your area, see if anyone can recommend someone, or someplace. You need ongoing care. Becoming depressed on a nearly daily basis needs to be treated.

If one of your kitties were having trouble, you'd take him to the vet. You are having trouble...you need to see a doctor.

Also, I know you're just venting, and I know people are trying to help, but please seek medical help from a qualified doctor. Please don't take advice or information you get from the internet as gospel.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in the same boat, except I do have major depressive disorder.

What I did was to enroll in a clinical study program.
The free drugs were a bonus, but mostly, they provide all associated care (including counselling) and any follow up care for 4 months after the study is over.

So you might try to see if any clinical studies on depression are being done in your area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll see if I can find a psychiatrist. Problem is, I don't believe in psychoanalysis and most psychiatrists do. I would need to find one that uses a different type of therapy. That wont be easy.
Technically, a psychologist or therapist might be a better option for my mild depression, but they are not covered by provincial health care. The ones I found so far charge on a sliding scale starting at $50 a session. Ouch!

I'll start by finding a better doctor.
One doctor once told me about a hospital that has a program for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (which I think is MUCH better than psychoanalysis) but I don't remember if they only treat anxiety or depression too. They do have a one year waiting list though. (but they're free)

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, walk-in clinics are generally not set up for longterm care. The docs are there to treat and move on to the next patient. A great place to go if you have a sinus infection or strep, but not for ongoing issues. Honestly, the doc probably figured you were just there for drugs, and nothing else.

Check your employee benefits for an EAP (Emplyee Assistance Program). It usually provides a few counseling visits (6 or 8), for free, during a set period of time (a year, two years).
Check with the county. Many have a mental health division that offers free or lowcost counseling, depending on your circumstances.

Get out in the sun this weekend.
Exercise.
Watch your diet. Switch to a healthy diet with no junk food.
Holidays are triggers for depression in many people. Volunteer.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

I know I don't get any health insurance at work. If I wait until next September, I'll be a student again and then I'll be able to go to see the counselors at school. But until then, I'll see what I can find.

I'm trying to eat very healthy. I rarely eat junk food or even processed food. My weakness is sweet food. Whenever I make cookies, they are gone in a matter of a day or two. I also made the mistake of buying some chocolate hazlenut spread this week. But I'll try my best to pace myself and not go through it in a few days. I know sugar isn't good for me.

I'll try to exercise more. Right now, my main exercise is walking. I also always take the stairs instead of the escalator / elevator whenever I can. But I'll sign up for Yoga classes too and maybe go swimming regularly.

Meditation also helps me a lot. And I am reading a book called "The Power of Now" at the moment, which is extremely helpful. Most of the time I am happy. Not just "not depressed", but actually happy and more at peace than ever before. Unfortunately one in a while, some negative thoughts take me down very suddenly. It's kind of scary.

So I'm trying my best to take good care of myself. I can't really do that during the episodes of depression, but by practicing at other times, I can create good habits and maybe prevent depression from coming back. I am hoping that a therapist / psychiatrist can help me deal with the depression or at least prevent it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you still at a university? Most universities offer a mental health clinic for either extremely low cost or no cost for students. If you want to see a doctor on staff, they're usually a little bit more.

I would check it out.

I'm really surprised that she didn't do any blood work before prescribing something. Then again though it was a walk in clinic and like Mom of 4 said, they aren't great for long care needs.

I would definitely look into finding a family doctor if you can. From there, get a physical, have a bunch of fun blood work done and then from there they can Rx you something or refer to you someone else.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Are you still at a university? Most universities offer a mental health clinic for either extremely low cost or no cost for students. If you want to see a doctor on staff, they're usually a little bit more.

I would check it out.

I'm really surprised that she didn't do any blood work before prescribing something. Then again though it was a walk in clinic and like Mom of 4 said, they aren't great for long care needs.

I would definitely look into finding a family doctor if you can. From there, get a physical, have a bunch of fun blood work done and then from there they can Rx you something or refer to you someone else.
I'm not at university right now... but I will be again in September. Doctors are always free here (universal health care
) and I know the university also has counselors that students can see for free (but there's a limit to the number of session you're allowed... then they have to refer you to somewhere else)
If I see a psychiatrist, that is free also even if I'm not a student. The problem lies in finding one that I will like.

I had some blood work done a few months ago because of anxiety issues, so I guess she didn't need to have it done again.

Unfortunately, the waiting list for a family doctor can be very long. I'll still try though. Or at least make an appointment with a doctor, rather than just dropping at the walk-in clinic.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RubSlutsMommy has a really good point about the St. John's Wort. I took it for 3 years, it did me more good than anything else ever has, and it is cheap. I am about to start taking it again, because I am having some pretty stressful times right now. I don't know why I ever stopped taking it. I hope things get better for you. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are one any of the SSRI drugs for depression, please do not go off them without help from a doctor.
I am on antidepressants. Psychologists are good for talking about things and are cheaper that psychiatrists. The latter can prescribe you the needed medications. Is there a teaching hospital or clinic in your area? You may be able to find one online.
But please, find someone who can help you today - okay, Mon. - because depression is so awful. How about all those drug ads on TV? Maybe they can give you pills for free if you are under a psychiatrist's care.