Anybody Have a Good Recipe for Coconut Macaroons?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father's 85th birthday is coming up and these are his favorite, so I want to bake some to send him. I know it's a long shot, but does anybody have a tried-and-true recipe? TIA!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my. They are my favourites too but alas, even though I'm a pretty good cook, I can never get the right consistency with those - either too soft or too hard so I get my SIL to make them especially for me. I hope you find a recipe.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love them, but i've never made them before! Hopefully someone will come along soon with a yummy recipe!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look online for a Jewish recipe source for Passover. Almond macaroons are the thing to make because they do not require flour. I don't have a favorite recipe because when I married George he asked that the one thing I didn't make for Passover dessert were macaroons because his mother's were awful. So I make meringue mushrooms, almond torte with mango coulis, no bake chocolate silk pie and the bride's chocolate cake, guaranteed to make you stay married!
Anyway, here is an untested recipe link from the web:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20431,00.html

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Look online for a Jewish recipe source for Passover. Almond macaroons are the thing to make because they do not require flour. I don't have a favorite recipe because when I married George he asked that the one thing I didn't make for Passover dessert were macaroons because his mother's were awful. So I make meringue mushrooms, almond torte with mango coulis, no bake chocolate silk pie and the bride's chocolate cake, guaranteed to make you stay married!
Anyway, here is an untested recipe link from the web:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20431,00.html
The chocolate macaroons she is talking about (I believe) don't have flour either - just a big sugar rush.

Your recipes sound wonderful too. I especially like the sounds of the chocolate silk pie - chocolate pie is one of my favourites. It's funny, I could care less if I ever saw a piece of chocolate but I love chocolate pie and chocolate macaroons. I suppose we gals have to get our chocolate somehow.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons? If so, I have a recipe for those.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is my recipe for those
1 pkg. (14 oz.)Baker's Angel Flake Coconut(5-1/3 cups)
2/3 cup sugar
6 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
4 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tsp. almond extract
1 pkg.(8 squars) Baker's semi sweet Baking Chocolate,melted

Preheat oven to 325 F. Mix coconut,sugar,flour and salt in large bowl until well blended.Add egg whites and almond extract;mix well.Drop by tablespoonfuls,2 inches apart,onto greased and floured baking sheets.
Bake 20 min. or until edges of cookies are gloden brown.Immediatley remove from baking sheets to wire racks.Cool completely.
Dip cookies halfway into melted chocolate.Let stand at room temperature or refrigerate on wax paper-lined tray for 30 min. or until chocolate is firm.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Store covered at room temp.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of these food threads are killing me!

I love coconut macaroons!