A Modern James Herriot

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found out at the shelter last night that there is a vet in my area that sees his patients at their own home. The only time anyone would need to take their cat to his clinic would be for operations and such. Apparently this has been his dream when he became a vet - to see his animals in the comfort of their own home.

The lady that told me about him has a dog and when the vet comes for the dog's yearly checkup he asks the dog for his paw so he can take blood and the dog gives him his paw and doesn't move while the vet draws the blood. This lady's SIL has 2 cats that hide when someone comes in, the vet asks if she minds if he helps her find the cats, goes room to room with her and when the cats ran to the bathroom, he says, OK, I guess this is where they want to be and did his exam in there.

I am seriously thinking of using this vet for Bijou. Even though Bijou and Mika are not a problem going out in the car, Bijou is not "comfortable" at the vet office.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a smart man! I'd love to be a vet like that. I'd definitely go to him

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! What a great story! I have heard of a vet in downtown Boston who goes to peoples' apts. and homes - I just think that is a wonderful way to have a practice!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He sounds brilliant!. That's what i call a one on one consultation
I'd love my vet to do that. Mine don't scratch or hiss at the vet when they go, but you can clearly see that their scared

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

He sounds brilliant!. That's what i call a one on one consultation
I'd love my vet to do that. Mine don't scratch or hiss at the vet when they go, but you can clearly see that their scared
That's what this lady said. Apparently the vet told her he didn't become a vet to treat animals that are frightened and stressed out in his office. He says the animals are comfortable and easier to treat in their own homes.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a wonderful vet! He'd be perfect for Peter, who gets so traumatized by even the sight of the cat carrier.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a wonderful person! I wish there was someone like that around here...I'm terrified to take JinJin in, she panics so wildly there that she ended up in the ER once.