fresh step cat litter bad?

zappyisfun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have used fresh step scoople cat litter for my 2 cats for 1 year. i noticed when i pour the litter in there is dust.

is dust bad for my health and cats? is so what kind of cat litter can a buy at the grocery store that dont create dust?

also what kind of health problems can dust create for humans and cats?

abacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zappyisfun

i have used fresh step scoople cat litter for my 2 cats for 1 year. i noticed when i pour the litter in there is dust.

is dust bad for my health and cats? is so what kind of cat litter can a buy at the grocery store that dont create dust?

also what kind of health problems can dust create for humans and cats?
I've been using Fresh Step for almost two years and I've noticed that it seems to have gotten very dusty. I see clouds of dust when I pour it in the pan.
If you do a search here you can find out quite a bit about other people's experience with different litters.

Based on what I found I am going to try Tidy cats in the red package and World's Best Cat Litter. You can get Tidy Cat at the grocery store but I'm not sure about WBCL.
The dust is supposed to be bad for humans and cats. I can't remember exactly what the health hazzard is.

I would suggest trying to find something less dusty that your cat will like.
Good luck!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using Fresh step for years. It's the only one that totally controls odor and that my cats totally approve! I recently tried Tidy Cats again and the smell when a cat peed or pooped was bad. I know some say the dust is bad but I haven't seen any scientific proof of that yet. Not saying it isn't out there. I just haven't seen it!

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to use Tidy cats but it got so it became very wet and mooshy like poured cement after just a couple days and smelled VERY bad. Fresh step lasts longer and smells better. I have found there is no such thing as totally dust free. I change my pan outdoors and whatever little may be inside shouldn't hurt.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bad no ... but being clay any odur control is from purfumes