I'll be leaving for the airport in 24 hours to go home!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm off tomorrow night to head back to Australia for Christmas for 3 weeks. I'm both excited and nervous. Excited because I can't wait to see my family and friends - all the new babies, and a bunch of people I haven't seen in ages. Nervous because of all the events of the last couple of months, and me worrying that everyone's going to be trying to overly polite and sidestepping around what's happened, and I don't know how I'll handle it all emotionally. Christmas was supposed to be with our new baby, but it's not.

We have a heap of fun things planned though - taking my 2 cousins and 2 nephews to Australia Zoo, going jetskiing with friends, lots of time at the beach, cheering on friends in a Half Ironman triathlon, hubby's work Christmas Party (the Sydney office is having theirs while we're in Sydney so we can go to that one), and going out drinking with my best mate who I haven't seen since she was bridesmaid at my wedding!

I also get 3 different christmases between my mum's side of the family, dad's side of the family, and hubby's family -

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks
I'm hoping that with the whole "people being really nice to us", that we'll get extra cool presents

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have a safe trip! You should make a side trip to NZ the next time you go to Aussie!

And most importantly, have lots of fun!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you have a great time and get lots of really cool gifts!
Who's taking care of the kitties when you're away? And most importantly - will you be away from TCS 3 whole weeks? Yikes!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have a blast!

I think most people are waiting to see what way you set the tone as to how they behave around you.

The topic will more than likely come up. Just be honest with your feelings, thank them for their words and support, and then do what feels right.

Everyone is probably feeling a bit antsy about it too. They will look to you to set the tone as to how they should be acting.

Just be gracious and yourself

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you have fun!
There are bound to be awkard moments....but that's just always going to happen.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I hope you have a great time and get lots of really cool gifts!
Who's taking care of the kitties when you're away? And most importantly - will you be away from TCS 3 whole weeks? Yikes!
We've got a house sitter for the 3 weeks we're away, the kitties won't be lonely

And believe it or not, we have computers in Australia
DH will take his laptop, I may take mine, so I'm sure I'll be around still

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

And believe it or not, we have computers in Australia
We do??? I thought i was typing on a calculator!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

We do??? I thought i was typing on a calculator!!
I actually had a chick over here ask me (and kluchetta, I know this isn't what you meant, I was just being facetious
) when I was in a maternity store if we had maternity in Australia. I was thoroughly confused by what she meant, and she said "you know, maternity stores". I said "oh yeah, well we have pregnant people so I'm sure there's maternity stores...". And she said "oh, so you have shopping malls and things??" sounding incredibly surprised. I said, yes of course we do. She went on to explain that she thought Australia was all desert and beaches, and there wasn't any technology, or shopping or anything like that over there. She couldn't believe that where we used to live was very similar to the Bay Area where we're living now. She actually thought I was just kidding around with her

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I actually had a chick over here ask me (and kluchetta, I know this isn't what you meant, I was just being facetious
) when I was in a maternity store if we had maternity in Australia. I was thoroughly confused by what she meant, and she said "you know, maternity stores". I said "oh yeah, well we have pregnant people so I'm sure there's maternity stores...". And she said "oh, so you have shopping malls and things??" sounding incredibly surprised. I said, yes of course we do. She went on to explain that she thought Australia was all desert and beaches, and there wasn't any technology, or shopping or anything like that over there. She couldn't believe that where we used to live was very similar to the Bay Area where we're living now. She actually thought I was just kidding around with her
That is too funny. When I lived in Wyoming, we used to tell people we just got indoor plumbing!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have a fun and safe trip, Sarah!

I'm sure there will be some awkward moments, but I'm sure that everyone will open up since you are so open with everything. But if/when you do have those moments, let yourself. You'll be surrounded by people who LOVE
YOU!

Have a very Merry and Warm Christmas by the pool!