Arrrgh!! I can't kick this cold!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel aweful
I've been sick since Monday, but thought i would feel better by now. There's a cold that seems to be going around here and a lot of people seem to have it at the moment.I was sick about 3 or so weeks ago and thought i had finally gotten over it...apparently i was wrong though
I was off work Tues/Wed as part of my regular schedule. I got dressed this morning and went in (i felt like calling in sick though.) I was there for a whole 30 minutes before i had to leave. I came home and slept until just a little while ago.

It's the typical coughing, sneezing my head off, congestion, runny nose, runny eyes, and fever. I've been taking some stuff for it- so hopefully it will clear up soon. In the mean time though i'm just feeling like crud
It shouldn't be the flu - as i got my flu shot back in Oct. I know i can't be the only one- anyone else have this "cold" that's going around?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup. I had it until I bought some Zicam & it cleared me right up!

John had the flu at the same time, so I bought the one for cold & flu and it worked really well for the both of us. I still have a little cough, but other than that I'm feeling better than I did!

Check it out, its a little spendy, I paid about $8.00 for the cold & flu stuff, I think its the same price for the cold one.
http://www.zicam.com/

You can get it at just about any department store or pharmacy

Feel better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thansk Kenzie! I will look into getting some of that today when Colin gets home. One of my coworkers mentioned it to me this morning when i was coughing up a storm, she said it helped her.

I'm not sure which one i would need though. I'll ask the pharmacist.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Thansk Kenzie! I will look into getting some of that today when Colin gets home. One of my coworkers mentioned it to me this morning when i was coughing up a storm, she said it helped her.

I'm not sure which one i would need though. I'll ask the pharmacist.
I would say the cold gel swabs would be the best. Everyone that I know always uses them when they have a head cold like that.
I'm sure asking a pharmacist would be your best bet, though!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I would say the cold gel swabs would be the best. Everyone that I know always uses them when they have a head cold like that.
I'm sure asking a pharmacist would be your best bet, though!
Thankyou! I will ask the pharacist about those!
Anything that could help me get over this crud, i'm willing to try! Right now i'm taking tessalon (benzonate pearls) for the cough- i had a prescription left over from the last time i was sick...and i'm talking http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...id=prod1362656
something- not sure which one is helping break up the mucus, but i'm still having all my symptoms, so maybe the zicam would help.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Thankyou! I will ask the pharacist about those!
Anything that could help me get over this crud, i'm willing to try! Right now i'm taking tessalon (benzonate pearls) for the cough- i had a prescription left over from the last time i was sick...and i'm talking http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...id=prod1362656
something- not sure which one is helping break up the mucus, but i'm still having all my symptoms, so maybe the zicam would help.
Be careful with what you mix with sinus medication. I did the samething and my doctor smacked me.

I hope you feel better soon and that the zicam works for you.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Be careful with what you mix with sinus medication. I did the samething and my doctor smacked me.

I hope you feel better soon and that the zicam works for you.
My doctor said it was ok for me to take the tessalon pearls with the walgreens stuff. (i always ask first before it take things, i'd hate to have a bad reaction!)
I'm going to ask the pharmacist if taking the zicam in addition to the other two is a safe idea or not

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, i was able to talk to my doctor earlier (he's soo nice
). He said that the Zicam would be ok for me to use. Tonight Colin took me to Walgreens, so i picked up the Zicam Cold nose swabs. I took my first dose a little while ago, so i'm hoping it helps soon!
I'm still feeling crummy- so i'm hoping this stuff helps me get over my cold quicker!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, the Zicam is what I keep on hand for me and the older kids.It works really good for knocking those colds out.
I hope you get some relief from your cold soon.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know honey (esp buckwheat honey) is being recommended now for children (not under age 2 I believe) for coughs instead of OTC medicine. Just a thought.

Mom caught a cold in Oct when they went to visit my sis and it hung on for a good two weeks. My fav SIL has been ill since Thanksgiving and I spoke with her Wed and she didn't sound a whole lot better -she did go to the doc though. Thank goodness I haven't caught anything so far.

I hope you get better soon.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Nikki, the Zicam is what I keep on hand for me and the older kids.It works really good for knocking those colds out.
I hope you get some relief from your cold soon.
Thanks Tammy!
I'm not sure if it's the Zicam or what, but i am feeling a little better this morning
I'm still pretty stuffy/feeling kind of run down- but overall, i feel MUCH better today!

Originally Posted by GailC

You know honey (esp buckwheat honey) is being recommended now for children (not under age 2 I believe) for coughs instead of OTC medicine. Just a thought.

Mom caught a cold in Oct when they went to visit my sis and it hung on for a good two weeks. My fav SIL has been ill since Thanksgiving and I spoke with her Wed and she didn't sound a whole lot better -she did go to the doc though. Thank goodness I haven't caught anything so far.

I hope you get better soon.
Honey is wonderful! I've been taking several teaspoon fulls of it a day and putting it in my tea with some lemon slices and orange slices. It really helps coat my throat/sooth it a bit. It hasn't helped with my cold though.

The Zicam and my other medications seem to be kicking in (finally!) now, i'm feeling a little better!
I'm sorry about your SIL! I hope she gets to feeling better soon!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, i'm off to the doctor tomorrow, i'm going to go and just pay out of pocket
I'm much worse. I thought i was getting better for a little while there- i was going to try and tough it out and try a few OTC medicines (with the pharmacists ok)....but my cold is back with a vengance and nothing is helping- it's starting to make my asthma symptoms pretty bad. The last time i was this sick it turned into pnemonia- so i'm hoping i can get to the doctor and get it taken care of before i get that ill.

I've tried mucinex, zicam, some Walgreens versions of pseudophed PE, vapor rub, eucinacia, and a number of other otc medicines/supplements to try and help. I am out of my cough syrup medicine (prescription), so i'm hoping to get that refilled tomorrow. In the mean time though- this crud has made its way into my lungs so my asthma (which is normally under control- i rarely ever have to use my inhaler) is acting up horribly and i've had to use my inhaler 3 times today alone. Uhhhh! Lucky for me though, our days at work are different this week with the holidays comming up so i have off tomorrow, wed, and thurs...so i'm hoping i'm better by the time i go back to work on friday.

Could i get a few vibes if you guys don't mind. I've had this cold for several weeks now and i'm just praying it doesn't cost me a fortune to go to the doctor and try to get better.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe you are still sick. Sounds like you need some antibiotics. I hope it doesn't cost you that much and that you are better by Christmas.
It's horrible being sick during the holidays.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I can't believe you are still sick. Sounds like you need some antibiotics. I hope it doesn't cost you that much and that you are better by Christmas.
It's horrible being sick during the holidays.
I know, i was hoping i'd be better by now- i just can not get over it at all
I've been taking my vitamins/supplements and medicine like i'm supposed to- getting rest when i can, even tried a little light exercise (that was SOOO not a good idea!), i've tried to get rid of it on my own- but at this point i definitely need a doctor. I'm feeling worse and worse each day- and working on my feet all day is not making it better so the sooner i get well, the better.

My sister Kimmy is doing the same thing i am (she can't get over her cold eithor and we got it around the same time, we both have asthma). It seems to be going around- my mom's had a touch of it, two of my nephews have, my coworkers, and even Colin (who rarely gets sick) had it for a few days. They all have got better though except for my sister and i. I've always had a bit of a weak immune system, so sometimes it seems like it takes me longer to heal than it might someone else. The worst though is night time- i can't sleep through the night- i've been waking up every few hours having a cough "attack" and not being able to breathe. I tried using one of those Suda care vapor plug ins- but that didn't help.

Geesh, and i was worried about getting the flu!
I could have saved myself the flu shot and worried more over getting a cold

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou guys, i'm planning to go tomorrow afternoon if they can fit me in and it doesn't cost a small fortune.

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hope you get better soon
I have had the same syptoms for almost five weeks now, yesterday at work I just felt shot away, it felt like every bone in my body was aching. The wife is nagging me to see the doctor to get some de-congestion stuff as I cant seem to shake it off my chest. Yeh! Yeh! I know smoking dont do it any good. But this is the first cold I have had in about three years.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you get feeling better soon, Nikki.

I have post nasal drip and asthma so bad colds tend to knock me on my butt. My allergy meds are Singulair and Allegra D. When I have a cold I also take an OTC cold medicine such Advil Cold & Sinus (the kind with pseudoephedrine in it, I don't like the PE stuff).