It's official - they're cat people!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, guys, it's official. My parents have become cat people, even though they're not quite ready to admit it.

As many of you know, they recently adopted a 3 1/2 year old neglected kitty named Lucy. This came after many years of them being without a pet and my dad swearing there wouldn't be any more.

Now, whenever I call, the first thing either mom or dad talks about is Lucy. It's Lucy this and Lucy that. They are also think she's the most purrfect, beautiful and intelligent feline of all time. My dad couldn't wait to show me how she runs around the room and chases and flips for the laser pointer. He thinks she is incredibly talented. I didn't have the heart to tell him most cats react to the laser pointer that way.

Mom told me recently that if Lucy wants attention and someone's not in the room with her, she comes to where they are and yells at them to get them to to follow her. Of course, they obey.

They been very concerned about her wellbeing and happiness, asking my advice about the right food and making sure she has plenty of toys. Lucy even has her own little basket now in the living room filled with toys.

Yep, they're cat people.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww Eileen....
At last sweet Lucy has the love that she deserves.

Your parents sound like wonderful people.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so sweet of your parents giving such a nice loving home to Lucy!!

I recently had my mom babysit my furbabies for three weeks. She isn't a pet person so it was very nice of her to watch them for me. I told her she better not fall in love with my furbabies because I'm coming back for them when I return. She said "no, I won't". When I returned to pick up my cats from her house, she started to get all emotional and tearyl!!!
What's even funnier is that she took so many pictures of them while they were at her house.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
They do have a way of worming their way into our hearts.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyup! That little lady has made converts of them. Saw it when Gryph did that to my Dad. It's pretty sweet!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, that's so nice to hear. I can't wait to see new pictures of Lucy!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found myself laughing out loud while reading your post! Yep! They're cat people! Next thing will be them adopting a second kitty as a companion for Lucy

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so pleased to read this, sounds like Lucy has done as much good for your parents as they did for her.

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a similar experience with my mother. I never had a pet growing up, and she claimed to /hate/ cats. "They smell, they scratch everything, they yowl, they make a mess, and they don't like me!" Well, I finally just laid down the law and said, "I live here, too, I pay half of the bills, and I want a cat." So she finally gave in, and I went and picked out Niko (i.e., he picked ME out) from the shelter.

At first, she was a bit nervous to pet him, since she never really ever pet a cat, but once she got comfy... he's her new li'l buddy. They watch TV together (his fav show is Americas Funniest Home Videos!), she's always worrying about if he's warm enough, has enough food, fresh water, etc. When I come home, most conversations start with, "Guess what Niko did today, it was so cute..." She's given him numerous nicknames (snoopy, piggy, cutie, lumpy, furball) and always looks around the house to see if he's okay when she hasn't seen him in a few hours. I wouldn't go as far to say she's a "cat person" now, but she definitely is in love with the li'l man.

My fav 'revelation' that she had? "Wow.. he's so loving and has such a strong personality. I thought cats were aloof and finicky, only paying you any attention if you have food! He actually likes me!"

cyclesarah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news, Eileen!
Your story brought a smile to my face; thank you for sharing! Will it only be a matter of time before Lucy gets a friend?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, I love stories about how kitties have managed to "convert" people. So sweet.

As much as I'd love to see my folks adopt a friend for Lucy, she probably wouldn't appreciate it. She came from a multi-pet household where she was neglected and so stressed that she pulled out much of the fur on her stomach and rear. The vet recommended that she be an only cat. Besides, this way she can be the center of attention and totally spoiled by my parents, which they're definitely doing!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Awww, I love stories about how kitties have managed to "convert" people. So sweet.

As much as I'd love to see my folks adopt a friend for Lucy, she probably wouldn't appreciate it. She came from a multi-pet household where she was neglected and so stressed that she pulled out much of the fur on her stomach and rear. The vet recommended that she be an only cat. Besides, this way she can be the center of attention and totally spoiled by my parents, which they're definitely doing!
Everybody wins!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's lovely and re-affirms my belief that anyone can be won round by a furbaby. My boyfriend wasn't a 'cat person' until I persuaded him to get one. He rang me a while ago to ask how Harry is! He luurves him

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

That's lovely and re-affirms my belief that anyone can be won round by a furbaby. My boyfriend wasn't a 'cat person' until I persuaded him to get one. He rang me a while ago to ask how Harry is! He luurves him
I agree. That's so sweet about your boyfriend and Harry.

When I stopped by their condo today my folks were all excited that Lucy has slept with them for the past couple of nights. This a huge step for her.

Coming from a home where she was caged a majority of the time or confined to one room, she never had the chance to cuddle in bed. My parents were thrilled! It's like they're discovering the joy of having a pet all over again.