Just adopted 2 cats

mdgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm new to the forum and have come here seeking advice. This past weekend I adopted 2 cats, Pierre and Tiger, 7 and 8 mo. old. They are not siblings but came from the same foster home. My issue is with how the cats are adjusting to the new surroundings, which I realize does take some time.

Both cats have pretty much hidden under the bed since I brought them home. Pierre was quite skittish when I first met him at the foster home and I think thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s just part of his natural personality, so I know it will take a while for him to adjust and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not concerned about him. Tiger, on the other hand, was extremely affectionate, wanting to be petted and climbing onto my lap on his own accord. In fact, my intention was only to adopt Pierre, but Tiger's super affectionate nature urged me to go back the next day to get him as well.

As I said, Tiger mostly hides under the bed now. I have a wand with string he likes to play with but heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll stay at the edge of the bed and play. If he feels Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m getting too close heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll back away. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s definitely careful to keep a safe distance. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve extended my hand out to him and heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll sniff my fingers but if I try to touch him heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll move out of the way and give a little meow in protest.

The first 2 nights I had him, he would cry most of the night, but he has stopped doing that. One sign of progress. Also at night is when theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll both come out from under the bed and explore. Tiger will come out once in a while but heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s very cautious of any movement I make and keeps his distance. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m concerned because itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s completely opposite behavior from when I saw him in the foster house. The woman who had him under foster care is surprised by his behavior. She said she never even heard him meow and that he was always very friendly and slept on her bed every night.

I do understand that they're both adjusting to new surroundings, sounds, smells, and to me. I'm just surprised how different Tiger is now from when I first saw him at his foster home.

Anyone else experience this? Any advice to help him adjust? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think EVERYONE here has experienced this!!!

This is very normal. Don't pressure them, they will adjust. Let them come to you. Sit by the bed quietly and they may peek their little heads out at you. When they come up to you, don't touch them. Let them rub themselves on you first and give you a really good sniff and once over. Eventually, they will allow you to touch them. Be patient. They are away from everything they know. A cat can often "go back into their shell" when in new surroundings, they may not eat/drink/poop, or be seen.

Are they eating okay? Have they used a litter tray? How long have you had them?

EDIT: Make sure you keep them to one room, and gradually let them out to the rest of the house, one room at a time. Allow them to gain your trust first though.

Congrats on your new additions!!

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations, I'm so happy to hear about kitties finding homes. I'm sure everything will work out, good luck!

rebochan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like pretty typical behavior so far. Most cats have issues with a change of setting, so they need some time to adjust. Once its kicked in that this is their home, they'll start to come back out of their shells again. The fact that one of them is already starting to play is a good sign.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mdgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are eating and using their litter box so no worries there. And it's only been about 5 days since I brought them home so I guess I'm just being overly anxious. I'm just a bit alarmed by the drastic change in Tiger from the cat who couldn't be pet enough to the cat who runs away if you try to touch him. Guess I just need to be patient as suggested.

Thanks for your responses. When they do eventually come out of hiding I'll take some pictures of them to post.

rebochan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mdgirl

They are eating and using their litter box so no worries there. And it's only been about 5 days since I brought them home so I guess I'm just being overly anxious. I'm just a bit alarmed by the drastic change in Tiger from the cat who couldn't be pet enough to the cat who runs away if you try to touch him. Guess I just need to be patient as suggested.

Thanks for your responses. When they do eventually come out of hiding I'll take some pictures of them to post.
It's no trouble - some cats take a little longer than others to adjust, and some couldn't care less where they are.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rebochan

It's no trouble - some cats take a little longer than others to adjust, and some couldn't care less where they are.
That is so true. When we first got Ziggy at 10 weeks, she hid for about 3 days behind the sofa. But Lexi came home and just started strutting around the place. She couldn't care less