TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Max is still cracking me up
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Max is still cracking me up

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Lately, he has decided that the 4 inches of litter I keep in the boxes just is NOT enough to cover his "business."

So he spends at least a full minute or so standing in the doorway of the litter box scratching repeatedly at the side and front walls and ceiling of the litter box, PLUS he scratches at the AIR in front of the opening, as well as the edge of the opening itself.

Quite the fastidious little man I have there!

I keep trying to tell him that scratching air over the area won't make much of a difference, but he seems to feel that it does! It's soooo cute!

Do any of your cats do this, too? I know Max can't be the only weirdo cat on TCS!
post #2 of 23
My cats scratch at the walls, floor, air, after using the litterbox. I believe this is to clean litter off their paws.
post #3 of 23
Lieutenant Bear does that all the time. She's done it for as long as ten minutes before!
post #4 of 23
Cello stratches everything but the litter to cover his mess. He spends at least 10 minutes doing this.

Benson throws the litter out while covering his business.
post #5 of 23
Nikita builds pyramids in the litterbox. She'll dig and move almost all the litter into one corner and it'll be in a huge pile. That's not enough though. After that she usually scratches at the floor in front of her litterbox or goes half into the other litterbox ( have two open ones for her) and scratches there too. It's quite funny really.
post #6 of 23
Abby won't cover her business on a regular basis. I have seen her do it about 2 times in total in the 9 years that I have had her.

Usually she tip toes in and perches with 3 legs on the corner of the box, with one leg in the litter (standing on tippy toes), then she leaps out and manically washes the foot that had to stand in the litter!

However, sometimes she will leap out and jump into the bath tub and proceed to scratch the side or bottom of the tub as if she were burying her business. Not sure why she does that
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo View Post
Cello stratches everything but the litter to cover his mess. He spends at least 10 minutes doing this.
That is Much exactly. She will work and work and work, but in the end, nothing is covered.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
Usually she tip toes in and perches with 3 legs on the corner of the box, with one leg in the litter (standing on tippy toes), then she leaps out and manically washes the foot that had to stand in the litter!
OK, most of the posts so far have gotten me smiling, but this one made me

post #9 of 23
Yup. Harley does this too

He seems to only do this while we are in bed, or going to bed. The other morning, at 4AM, he did this for about 5-10 minutes straight. I was going insane because the litter boxes are in our bedroom.

The other night when we got home from work he was scratching at the side of the litterbox, and I asked him if he was looking for the handle to flush
He meowed & me and hopped out
post #10 of 23
Chip does this, too - scratching at the sides of the box, etc. often doesn't cover his solid wastes... but i'm happy as long as he deposits them in the box & not on my bed Java builds the pyramids in my fur-family, & Pixel is the dainty one - 2 front feet on the back of the box [flat surface about 4 inches wide] & 2 in the box while she goes.
post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post

The other night when we got home from work he was scratching at the side of the litterbox, and I asked him if he was looking for the handle to flush
He meowed & me and hopped out
Oh, Kenz, that's hilarious!
post #12 of 23
Some humans feel the need to play air guitar. Some cats play air.........
post #13 of 23
My two goofballs do this kind of stuff too...Stan scratches like a maniac on the side of the litter box, then rubs his paws daintily on the mat in front before "pussyfooting" his way out. Bella seems to enjoy leaving a decoy pyramid of litter outside the box
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
Oh, Kenz, that's hilarious!


Yes, but its not so funny at 4AM!
post #15 of 23
Popsie likes to scratch the litter out of the corners of the box. He covers his piddle but not poo and he walks all over everything. DH and I were laughing at him the other day. DH says due to old age he probably doesn't know how to use the litter box right anymore. We shouldn't tease the old guy but we can't help it.
post #16 of 23
Jazz does this as well. How funny. Max is such a funny guy.
post #17 of 23
Yup, incredibly familiar! All the kitties spend FOREVER trying to cover up their poos. Scratch, sniff, scratch, sniff some more, scratch scratch scratch some more (at the air and side of the litter pan), sniff some more.

Smudge is the worst. She spends forever scratching, and doesn't even remotely cover it. We always have to help her out
post #18 of 23
Radar actually drives me slightly insane with this - he is very very fastidious about covering absolutely every trace of his doings, he covers up after himself and he covers up after Sonic (who as the very dominant cat tends to leave his poo sitting on top of the litter ).

To Radar, it never quite seems as if the job is finished, he's a litterbox perfectionist. He scratches at the litter until it's all covered, and then stops to examine his handiwork. He will then start waving his paw around in the air, go and fetch things to put on top of the litter (I'm running out of socks and he once pulled the curtains down and dragged them into the box!!!!) He's also managed to gouge huge chunks of wallpaper off the walls near one of the boxes

The funniest thing is if Sonic goes over to see what on earth he's up to - I have seen Radar grab Sonic with his paw and try to put him in the litterbox too
post #19 of 23
While I was cuddling Butzie when we brought her home from the shelter, my enginerd husband (married for 25 years, can say that) went to the pet store to buy her "things." He came home with a motorized, self-cleaning litter "box." Butzie never buries anything. She figured out the machine does it for her.
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epona View Post
Radar actually drives me slightly insane with this - he is very very fastidious about covering absolutely every trace of his doings, he covers up after himself and he covers up after Sonic (who as the very dominant cat tends to leave his poo sitting on top of the litter ).

To Radar, it never quite seems as if the job is finished, he's a litterbox perfectionist. He scratches at the litter until it's all covered, and then stops to examine his handiwork. He will then start waving his paw around in the air, go and fetch things to put on top of the litter (I'm running out of socks and he once pulled the curtains down and dragged them into the box!!!!) He's also managed to gouge huge chunks of wallpaper off the walls near one of the boxes

The funniest thing is if Sonic goes over to see what on earth he's up to - I have seen Radar grab Sonic with his paw and try to put him in the litterbox too
OMG!!

this is hilarious! this would drive me crazy though...
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by saya View Post
OMG!!

this is hilarious! this would drive me crazy though...
We're a bit strapped for space - I really need to find somewhere else I can put one of the litterboxes other than in our bedroom - it wouldn't annoy me so much except when you are woken at 3am by the 'scratch scratch scratch' of litter it isn't exactly endearing, especially when it's likely to go on for 15 minutes at least while he gets it just so, by which time sleep is a distant memory! I usually end up getting up to a) check that he's not having problems going to the toilet and b) to scoop just to get him to stop scratching at the **** thing!

AAAAAARGGHGGGHH!
post #22 of 23
Having had one cat (RIP, Pussy Willow) who viewed every flowerpot as an "extra toilet", I really appreciate Jamie's fastidiousness. He not only covers up everything, he goes back and moves every clump and batch of litter-coated poo to the back left-hand corner of his box, making scooping a really easy task. Get this: When he has to spit up, he also uses/tries to reach his litter box!

The only problem we've encountered is when he doesn't like a certain brand of litter, as he'll spend hours scratching it out of his box, down the upstairs hallway (where his litter box is located), and then down the stairs. One time, I was trying out crystal litter, and became concerned that Jamie might be constipated, because he wasn't doing "#2" in his box. I made an appointment with the vet, and then discovered that he'd found an open bag of his usual litter on a shelf in our cellar, and had been pooing in it!

He destroyed, i.e., smashed, his litter box last year, and we still haven't figured out what prompted that, as he'd been using it for over 7 years. He seems quite pleased with its "jumbo" replacement, though my back isn't!
post #23 of 23
In the bedroom we have 2 open boxes sitting side by side. China will do her business in one box and try to cover it up using the litter from the other box.

We also have a 3 year old "mental" cat who, somehow, balances all 4 feet on the edge of the box in order to go. He kinda sways but somehow keeps his balance to do his business. He will not touch the litter or even cover up his business.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Max is still cracking me up