Way strange... Oliver suddenly difficult with food!

dolcetta46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The impossible is happening and I really don't know what to think!!

Oliver is acting weird!! He is a notoriously hearty eater, has NEVER EVER been picky with food, he would ALWAYS gobble down whatever is served and often wants more. (He weighs 5kg/11lbs already at 7 months, go figure!) Yesterday evening however, he decided not to touch his supper. We were wondering if we left some food laying around by mistake and he had already enough to eat. However just for curiosity we gave him some pieces of sausage we were eating for dinner, well he liked THAT and ate them all.

Eventually after a couple of hours he ate about half of the supper left over, but the rest was still there this morning.

He was as always very loud for his breakfast this morning, but when it was served he wouldn't touch it.
The same food he was eating no problem previously, I was wondering if there was something wrong with that particular container so I opened another one, tuna flavour that he particularly likes, he nibbled a few bites and that was it. I tried for the last resort gave him some dry food, which usually he likes less, he ate about a half portion, that was it.

He doesn't seem at all ill, he is playful, alert and full of spirit as ever, and he still bugs us all the same when we are eating.

Did something cause him a change in his preference for food? Or is it a sign of our over feeding him? (we were just wondering about that lately) Or anything else is the matter? What does this signify? We have to take him to the vet Saturday for neutering so we could ask if this behaviour persist, but it is, especially for HIM very, very bizzare. Does anyone have a possible answer or clue for this? Any advice would be very appreciated!!

sadie'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to say that this sounds like my Sadie, she was sick awhile back there and has never gotten quite back to her old self....
She won't even eat her dry food or wet food anymore, all she wants is her "temptation" treats. She only drinks water out of my hand???? I am also at a loss for words, on what o do? What did I DO??? Sorry to have posted about my exp in here, just have been wondering the same thing....She has lost a lot of weight.....????
What kind of wet food do you use?

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Junior went through a similar situation last week except he was more subdued as well. After 4 days he was back to his usual ball of energy but now seems to eat more dry than wet food since then. All I can figure is he had a change in taste.

Mez

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it happens today call the vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dolcetta46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do hope it will pass as it happened to Junior, Mezlo... Oliver seemed a bit quieter today, too.
Sadie's mom, about the wet food, we have just decided on LeChat (it's an Italian brand) and bought hefty supply of it the other day, after trying many different ones since he came to us 2 and a half months ago. He did seem to have liked LeChat a lot, but maybe the repitition of the same is boring him? (Even with different flavours, probably the same brand has the same touch I imagine)
I must confess I may have spoiled him a wee bit too much, he has been getting his food almost on demand and regularly gets a bit of people food treat (cheeses, tuna, fish or chicken filet, cream, meatballs etc.) almost every day, though I try to be careful he won't eat too much of that each time. He is getting quite big, though not fat, pretty solid.
Is that possible that, maybe he is arriving at a saturation point and taking a bit of hiatus on food?

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie'sMom

I have to say that this sounds like my Sadie, she was sick awhile back there and has never gotten quite back to her old self....
She won't even eat her dry food or wet food anymore, all she wants is her "temptation" treats. She only drinks water out of my hand???? I am also at a loss for words, on what o do? What did I DO??? Sorry to have posted about my exp in here, just have been wondering the same thing....She has lost a lot of weight.....????
How old is Sadie? I'm nowhere near qualified to give advice but this sounds like it warrants a vet visit to me. I'm not familiar with the treats you mentioned, but most if not all treats are not intended to be the sole source of nutrition.

Mez

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dolcetta46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oliver still likes Temptations, too, but I agree they should not be a substitute for regular food.

Well, the supper time has come and gone. He comes running as always when he hears the tinkling of the bowl and the spoon. I gave him about the half amount of wet food he normally eats, as well as a handful of dried food.
He ate about half of what I gave him, then a few nibble at the dry, and he was done... this is not normal for him at all!! The way he ate, too, very slow, pausing, looking about, just licking a pushing about the food, not the usual hoovering action I am accustomed to see...

I was so tempted to pop open a small tin of tuna but resisted, as he needs to get back to his normal eating habit more than anything. I really hope this passes soon. And I would like another advice, while he is going through this strange phase, should we postpone the appointment for neutering Saturday? Or since he needs to be off his food anyways prior to the op, should we go ahead with the plan?? Agh, he is making me so anxious!!

I hope Sadie gets her appetite back too. Fingers crossed for her just as well!!

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dolcetta46

And I would like another advice, while he is going through this strange phase, should we postpone the appointment for neutering Saturday?
I would call the vet and let them make that decision.

Mez

sadie'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

How old is Sadie? I'm nowhere near qualified to give advice but this sounds like it warrants a vet visit to me. I'm not familiar with the treats you mentioned, but most if not all treats are not intended to be the sole source of nutrition.

Mez
Sadie is 3, I do know that she is not getting all of her nutrients just through the treats...
So what I have done is get rid of the treats completely over the past weekend, I have been cooking chicken, salmon, and encouraging her to eat even if its out of my hand. I have started her on a new routine, feeding her in the mornings, and when I get home. Hopefully this will work, I have also scheduled her in to the vet this weekend....