Question about dogs and snow.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our newest dog, Brooke, is a malamute mix. We had our first snow yesterday (about 5 inches) and she, Snicker and Skuttles (one choc lab, other choc lab/shepard mix) love being outside, but Snickers and Skuttles come in shortly after they go out. They play, they get cold and that's it until they warm up again. But Brooke will go out and lay in the snow for hours. I worry about her getting too cold or getting frost bite on her paws.

I know Malamutes are northern dogs, but should I be worried? Should I make her come in? I check on her frequently, and everytime I go up to her she rolls over and begs for tummy rubs (which she always gets
)

Here's a pic of her. She has a very thick coat, as you can see. Any idea what other mix she is? I'm guessing either Collie or German Shepard because of her snout being so long and thin. All pics of Malamutes I have seen have shorter snouts.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, she's such a pretty girl. She reminds me a lot of a Samoyed or American Eskimo.

www.dogbreedinfo.com/samoyed.htm
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americaneskimo.htm

I wouldn't worry about her wanting to be out. Of course, keep checking on her often but as long as she seems okay she is just fine. Thunder is the same way about wanting to be out, he'd stay out all day if I'd let him. He loves when it's cold. We have a baby pool that we set up over the summer for the dogs to play in and cool off. John told me that he took Thunder out the other day and it was about 30 degrees... he said Thunder jumped straight in the pool!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My yorkie loves snow... I put boots on her when it is very cold ie under 10degrees, she wears a coat or sweats under 40 ... with all that hair boots is all I would suggest

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my yard for a quick potty, or to inspect his territory, Bear goes out in the snow with just his thermal hoodie on (he's completely bald on his underside).
If we go for a walk, or to play in the snow, I add his boots and coat, as I do not know how many people around here use pet friendly de-icers.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think she would be OK. Just keep checking on her. I've got a Lab & a Lab/GSP mix. The mix has very little hair & I make her wear one of my sweatshirts outside. The Lab is content to go lay in a snowbank.

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would not worry about her if she gets to cold she will let you know and this is a breed that can really withstand the cold and snow

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww she is cute. I can almost see retriever in her though.
Not sure on this one!

I wouldn't worry too much though. That kind of dog is made for living in the snow. You would have to look it up to be sure, but I think they can stand extremely low temperatures. An amazing fact, horses aren't cold until it's -40, I would think your snow dog would be able to handle close to that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

What a beautiful dog! Such a clean carpet! How do you manage that?
Oh, believe me, it's not as clean now! We got Brooke shortly after we moved into the house,and before the rain set it. You should see it now!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/samoyed.htm

This is Brooke!! Thanks bnwalker2! That definition describes her perfectly, especially when it says the breed barks a lot.
The vet we adopted her from said she was part malamute so we were going by that, but I think Samoyed is more likely. I've never even heard of that breed before now.

Thanks for all the replys, guys. Like I said, she seems to love it outside when it's cold like this, but since she is the newbie in the house (not including the puppy but she just goes where Snickers goes) I was afraid she was staying outside because she thought we didn't want her in the house. I have a feeling her last owners didn't let her inside much, if at all.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My neighbors have always had Chows & Samoyeds as farm dogs. They let them inside in the winter when it gets really cold, but really cold is -10. They've always been fine.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The sledding dogs are the only breeds I'm actually okay with keeping as outdoor dogs (with human companionship, of course). They're MADE for cold weather, and they actually relish it. If I had a penny for the amount of stories I've heard about someone's Husky or Mal curling up in the snow to sleep and not moving except to occationally stand up and shake off the pile of snow that had settled on them. Sometimes, I hear, the dog will be completely buried and the owner can't find it, lol. But the dog loves it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pixie, our Lab/GSD X was strictly a farm dog. You wouldn't be able to find her outside, then the snow bank would get up & move. She would haul straw out of her doghouse....and after digging a hole pack it with straw. Then lay down there & let it snow around her.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
at work today it was snowing and we had 3 huskies and a malamute mix and we could not get those darn dogs inside!
She is absolutely beautiful!

Yea I'm sure she'll let you know if she gets too cold!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kyra is a Lab Malimute mix She loves being outside no matter the temperature. I however Keep it reasonable if it's below -15 celcius she is only outside for an hour at a time, if it's above -10 celcius we will leave her out for 2 hour stretches. It mostly concern for her paws freezing that we do this... I'm sure she would much rather we leave her alone so she can play in the snow un-restricted

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Northern Breeds" are highly adapted to cold; so much so that snow piled on them will not melt (the insulation in the coats is so efficient!) In sled dog racing circles there is much greater concern for overheating than from cold. Typically they will not run distance teams when the temp gets ABOVE 20 degrees F. In extreme conditions (-50 with a 50 mph head wind along the Yukon) the dogs will get coats. (Often a variety of coats with different insulation weights are taken on longer runs.) There are also covers for the dog's groin and genital areas which are the most susceptible to cold.

These days most sled dogs do wear booties while working. These are primarily to protect the feet from cuts from ice, frozen sticks, etc. The pads have guard hairs between them which provides protection from the cold. Due to the oily nature of these hairs, Ice will not adhere to them so there is not a problem with icing between the toes. Frostbite to the feet is not normally a concern.

Breeds with softer coats (“hair†rather than “furâ€) can have an issue with ice sticking to the hairs between the toes and causing frostbite. Collie type breeds (Australian Shepherds, Border Collies, Bearded Collies, Setters, Spaniels, Sheltie, etc.) and many small soft haired “decorator†dogs (Lhasa, Pekinese, Shih Tzu, etc.) can be very susceptible to this problem.

Cold water retrievers such as Labs and Chesapeakes generally have little problem with most conditions of cold, ice or snow but still are not physically built to tolerate the extremes that the northern breeds can handle.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Will someone tell my dear Gigi she is IN FACT a YORKIE and not a sled dog???

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a Yorkie for a while - rescued from a cruelty/neglect situation. We finally found him a good home two weeks ago (we took him in, along with 4 other dogs and a cat all from a very bad situation, Thanksgiving weekend last year.) He always wanted to trot along with our dogs but his little short legs had no chance of keeping up with the big dogs. He would try, with his prancing little trot, but had to be carried back from just a block away every time. Next time around he was always eager to try again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
George, you're dogs are gorgeous!!! I love Hope (of couse, that is my name also, so we already have a bond there
). But, Shannon reminds me so much of our Skuttles it isn't funny! Her hair isn't that long, she got that trait from Snickers, her mom. Her dad is an Australian Shepard (we think) and she got his markings but the short hair of a Lab.

kendalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She will let you know when she is too cold. It may never happen though. She's made for snow!