new thread on Chloe's illness

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, started a new thread for a couple reasons. First, because the first one is pretty much dead, and second because I wanted to know if anyone had any insight on what could be wrong with her??

Chloe seemed to have "caught a cold" from her brother awhile back. I took her to the vet and they gave her fluids and told me to give her the same antibiotics that her brother was getting. She had a fever (105), but the vet thought she would be fine.
2 days later she was still quite sick, she was lying around a lot, not really eating and quite warm to the touch. So I took her back in the morning, this time her fever was 106 and she had lost some weight over the week from not eating well. (she was only 4 lbs. to start with) They thought it would be a good idea to keep her overnight to administer i.v. antibiotics and fluids to "give her a boost". I agreed to leave her, thinking she would be fine the next day and be able to come home. I visited her that night before going home and she seemed happy and perky and was eating quite well, her fever had gone down to 104. I went to visit her the next morning, the vet said that she had gotten a clot in her catheter overnight and she didn't get her fluids so her fever had spiked back up to 106.

her i.v rate is very low, 7.5 as opposed to a normal 20 because she is so small... so they said to be patient and to leave her another night.

today...
I went to visit her this afternoon, she's so happy to see me and perky and active and eating but her fever is still high!!!

They can't get her fever down. It keeps bouncing between 104 and 106 and the best they can figure is that she has a respiratory infection. They think because she caught it while she was recovering from her spay and because she's so small she's just having a hard time bouncing back.
but really, they don't know. they've tested for everything except herpes and FIP. (testing for FIP tonight, should know by tomorrow), she has all her shots and they say that "clinically" she looks good.
In the meantime I miss my kitty!
and Berach misses his sister too you can just tell... she's not any closer to coming home and it's been days. It was $350 for the 1st night and an xtra $125 for every night she has to stay, not that it matters but it doesn't help...

she wants to come home... she cries when I have to leave her and I miss her and don't know how to help her get better...

any ideas? anyone?

bob66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i cant tell you whats wrong but i can say i know how you feel. My little friend is at the hospital now too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
o ...

what's wrong with your little kitty?

do they know?

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh geez... the wait is killing me, I just read up on FIP and now I'm freaking out.

lots of vibes please for baby Chloe

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you know what choe's white blood cell count is?

She has a really high fever for a kitty. Did she have all her vaccinations prior to getting sick?

I think FIP is a long shot in this case ( thankfully that is the dreaded F word!). However such a high fever for whatever reason is never a good thing.

Sending lots of Vibes that another night of fluids and IV antibiotics gets Chloe on the mend.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks... no don't know what her white blood cell count is, maybe they'll know when I go in there today? getting ready to do that right now.

yea, she has all her vaccinations. they've also tested for just about everything so far and she's come back negative on them all. Even the vet seems to think that FIP is a long shot, she said they're just doing the test to be thorough...

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just talked with the vet.

Chloe has developed liquid in her belly, amber honey colored.
white blood cell count is ok.
secreting bellaruva (sp?) from her liver
albumin low
slightly anemic
as far as her autoimmune is concerned the vets say she has a low indication of FIP but ...

the picture is grim.

Throughout all of this Chloe remains an adorable affecionate baby kitty to myself as well as all the vet techs. she's eating well, shes active.

NO ONE KNOWS!!!

Her fever came down to almost normal yesterday and then shot back up. They can't get it to comedown and stay down.
They gave her a sonogram this morning and also are sending off a bit of the liquid they found in her belly to the lab. we'll know by tomorrow.

The only other thing they think it could be would be some kind of an infection or something from her spay. When her sutures were taken out she did have a little bit of a reaction, a tiny bump where the sutures hadn't yet been absorbed by the body. They think that maybe bacteria could've gotten inside during the procedure. (I didn't take her to the same clinic for her spay, I had reservations about it too... I should've listened to myself)

I'm at a loss... her lab results say no FIP so far... but her symptoms point to viral.

I'm gonna go get a coffee and go sit with her for awhile...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. The fluid is not a good sign...however, if the vet can get her on interferon, that might help a little. Hugs to sweet Chloe...

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get well for sweet Chloe!!

I second the notion of trying to get interferon if they suspect viral. That's what eventually helped Stan get better when he had the neverending URI...

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can do is say a prayer for Chloe and you and your family (including little Berach). I hope you get good news soon.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just got back from the vet.

She seemed a little tired but was still looking well. Her coat is shinier today and her eyes are brighter. The vet rechecked her blood for white blood cell count and said there was a slight elevation, indicating some kind of inflammation.
She's very hoarse still, only about half of her meows come out.

I had a long talk with her about how much we all miss her and that she needs to hurry up and get better so she can come home. She heard me and purred.
Little sweetie, she's really trying hard...

thanks for bringing up the interferon... I'll ask the doc about it tomorrow when I go in. They're being pretty thorough though so I'm sure that's already in the works...

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a long shot, but do you live in an area that has ticks? Ehrlechia, can cause symptoms similar to what is going on with Chloe. High relapsing fever, anemia, elevated biliruben ( from the liver) It might be worth asking the vet about.

Still sending lots of vibes for your girl.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you.

yea, ticks are around here but only in the wooded areas, I've never heard of them in our suburbs. Also she's indoor mostly (she only goes out either on a harness and lead or supervised in the backyard), and has been treated for fleas... I'm not sure about ticks though... hm, does advantage cover against ticks too? or just frontline?

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your baby gets better soon, if it is FIP the sooner you catch it the more they might be able to do. My cat got fluid in his belly and high fevers, he had the wet form of FIP. (he didn't make it) Im sending good and praying too!

purplexxpassion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your poor Chloe!

I'm sending my prayers and well wishes to both of you. get well soon Chloe!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, poor little Chloe
I am sending prayers and vibes that she gets better soon I hate it when kitties are sick because they can't tell us whats wrong

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I'm so sorry. The fluid is not a good sign...however, if the vet can get her on interferon, that might help a little. Hugs to sweet Chloe...
I hate to say the "F" word too, but the fluid in her tummy isn't a good sign.
But mentioning the Interferon treatment is a good suggestion. I have 2 FIP kitties who are on it right now (they have the dry form of FIP) and they are in remission and doing well on it.
It sure couldn't hurt to discuss this w/ your vet.

I sure hope it isn't FIP. I will be sending plenty of get well vibes to your precious furbaby.

~KK~