a few ? about my maniac cat

mirageags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
a few random questions. (this cat is 1 1/2 yrs old, the kitten of strays until i got him at 7 weeks old. male, nuetered and declawed)

he cannot seem to make low meowing noises like some cats. he was nuetered at 6 months but im not sure that has anything to do with it. sometimes he makes squeaky noises but any meow he makes, even when angry, is kind of "girlish". like not very low.?

he eats everything like a 2 yr old. if i bring in leaves or those helicopters on our shoes, he will always check our shoes and eat it, then throw it up on the carpet. he also eats things like peices of foam, string, and little fuzzies. whats up with that? the other night i caught him eating something on the bed and pulled a 10 inch peice of string out of him throat.

sometimes he drinks toilet water even though the water we give him in his bowl is perfectly clean and good.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like typical kitty behavior. My boy kitty sounds "girlish" as you put it but I don't think the level of the meow means as much as the tone and inflection.

As for eating things... my boy eats lots he's not supposed to so we have to be careful os what we leave out. String can be particularly dangerous as it can get tangles in the intestines and cause BIG problems.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a cat for ya!

I keep my toilet lids down for a good reason.

As for eating things, he will perpetually be a 2 years old.....some cats just are.

I have one kitty who simply squeaks, a few who scream, & a few who meow. A cats meow is unique.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mirageags

a few random questions. (this cat is 1 1/2 yrs old, the kitten of strays until i got him at 7 weeks old. male, nuetered and declawed)

he cannot seem to make low meowing noises like some cats. he was nuetered at 6 months but im not sure that has anything to do with it. sometimes he makes squeaky noises but any meow he makes, even when angry, is kind of "girlish". like not very low.?

he eats everything like a 2 yr old. if i bring in leaves or those helicopters on our shoes, he will always check our shoes and eat it, then throw it up on the carpet. he also eats things like peices of foam, string, and little fuzzies. whats up with that? the other night i caught him eating something on the bed and pulled a 10 inch peice of string out of him throat.

sometimes he drinks toilet water even though the water we give him in his bowl is perfectly clean and good.
Cats often like to eat grass (and yes, throw up). I would suggest getting him some cat grass to grow indoors.

Eating foam (chemicals), fuzzies (heaven only knows what's in those) and string (which is very dangerous - some cats have died from having the string get bound around their intestines) are things that should be put away and not left around for your cat to get at.

I would also keep the lid down on the toilet and get the cat a nice water fountain which will probably encourage him to drink more of the "better" water.

Cats are like kids - we need to cat-proof our homes just as would would kid-proof for young children. It's all part of being a responsible, loving cat owner.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the wonderful world of cats!

Most cats will eat a lot of weird things, so you need to keep that stuff away from them,
As the others have mentioned, those things can be deadly to a cat - especially strings and the like. I had a cat once who got ahold of a piece of string, and suddenly started freaking out and running around the house like a lunatic. I managed to get a hold of him, and noticed string coming out of his rear. Luckily, my son & I were able to pull it out without any problems: but it could have become stuck in his intestines, and would have required surgery - or possibly even death. We were lucky the string came out on its own..

Maverick's another one who will eat weird things like string: I'm constantly having to make sure none is left laying anywhere where he can get to it. He'll even pull on the carpeting, till he unravels it enough to where he can pull it off to eat it.
I have to make sure the carpeting is intact, so he can't eat it.

My furbabies have FIVE sources of water laying around the house, but they insist on drinking water from the toilet, or water that's in a glass that's soaking in the sink - which is why I no longer soak dishes w/ any dishwashing liquid in it.
The only way to stop a cat from drinking out of the toilet is to keep the lid down..

All cats meow differently, or in different pitches of sound: that's nothing to worry about.
And some cats are just more vocal than others: Maverick is a talker (hence his nickname "Blabs"), but Winchester, Garbriel, & Spencer rarely ever speak. Geronimo is a blabber-mouth, too..

Your kitty is a purr-fectly "normal" cat..

~KK~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirageags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he is sitting up here on the desk (his new thing) watching me type this. i think he is on to me!
i dont think i want to get cat grass if he is going to throw up all over my new carpet. i give him catnip once a month

randis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have seen a 4 years old Bengal stud in a cattery, he is monster huge and his head is as bis as a basketball... but he miau like some baby cat girl.

each of my 3 cats makes a different sound, Moogle sounds like he is wining, he never can hold a tone...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have a complete physical exam made on him. While its normal for cats to be in a chewing stage (which it may be), the fact that he is chewing on or eating non food items may mean he has internal problems. And string is very dangerous - it can wrap around the intestine and kill him.

You can get Bitter Apple Spray in petshops to stop him from chewing on things.

Some cats just have different meows. I've had (or heard) large males that sounded like girls - has nothing to do with when they were neutered

Question - why was he declawed?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Train your family to hide elastics - don't leave them just lying around - worse problems than string!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Blossom doesn't meow hardly at all & you need a microphone to hear it.
Keep that string locked up. I read that if you pull it out it could cause damage requiring surgery. This after I pulled a small piece of string out of Blossom's mouth when she was a baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirageags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
paul is declawed for a very good reason. most people only have problems with furniture.
have you ever seen a cat run its claws and tear chunks out of drywall? you should see my poor new walls from when he was younger. they will never recover! also he would claw grooves into wood like my table legs and part of my stairs. and of course, there was the usual carpets and furniture he turned into rag dolls. we had gotten brand new vanilla cream microswede furniture set, and paul had to be stopped, before it was him or me!
alot of people think declawing cats is inhumane, and yes i know what it is that they must do, but i can assure everyone here he is the happiest cat you will ever see and lives a perfectly normal life, with less stress between us, and feeling his now oh so soft little kitty hands is priceless.

its actually pretty funny, he still thinks he has them, he still pretends to claw at walls and furniture but he is so harmless now. plus he is an indoor only cat, so im not woried about his safety unless he got out, which has never happened, he is afraid of the outdoors.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally feel that the question was irrelevant since the cat is already delcawed and as far as I'm aware the process can't be reversed!

That said I still don't feel that theres ever a "good reason" to declaw a cat unless the cat's health is at risk. Cat's claw inappropriate things when they aren't given attractive alternatives. Oh, and he doesn't think he still has claws... cats "scratch" things for several reasons and sharpening their claws is only one of them. They also do it to stretch and scent mark among other reasons.

Originally Posted by mirageags

paul is declawed for a very good reason. most people only have problems with furniture.
its actually pretty funny, he still thinks he has them, he still pretends to claw at walls and furniture but he is so harmless now. plus he is an indoor only cat, so im not woried about his safety unless he got out, which has never happened, he is afraid of the outdoors.