Have you ever gone to bed hungry?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or know anyone who has? This time of year they promote donating to help the families who don't have enough to eat........
There was a time in my first marriage where we didn't have enough to eat......
How I wish I could cook a big meal for all those families who are hungry!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When me and my boyfriend first moved in together, we barely had anything to eat. We ate spaghetti basically every night since one sauce and a pack of spaghetti only cost about $2. We ended up going to the food bank quite a bit.

Once I have a career and I am financially stable, I plan on giving back in some way for helping me through a tough time.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dh and I have, he got hurt at work, worker's compensation wrongfully cut him off, we won our case but it took two years, we lost everything. It was a very difficult time. I take my children to the store, they each pick something for breakfast, lunch and supper, and we put it in the food hampers. they also each pick a toy to give to a needy child. I want them to understand, not everybody is fortunate enough, to have what we do.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A great way to help give back is to volunteer at a local food bank! I do every year and it always gives you a great feeling.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to bed hungry many times when I was putting myself through college! Now I'm always slightly hungry when I go to bed, but it's by choice. When you are sleeping, your body does repairs and works to get well, so you don't want your body putting energy into digesting food instead.

But having to go to bed hungry, that's terrible, especially bad around the holidays when people are feasting.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was in college, my food budget was $12 a week. I had meat (other than tuna) about once a month otherwise it was pasta, rice, baked potatoes and oatmeal. Good times! It wasn't all bad, though. I learned to budget.

We donate to our local food bank. I pick up an extra case of stuff when I go to Sam's and when we have a car load we take it over. It makes me feel good.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I can't even count the number of times I went without so my daughter could eat. I was literally starving for years. Fortunately, those years are long behind me now, although it took its toll on my body over time, and I still struggle with my weight because my body got used to storing food because it never knew when another meal would come along. My metabolism and digestion is at a crawl as a result.

After coming out of homelessness, I started doing what I could to raise money for food kitchens here and there. Just the other day, I bought for $10 a bag of food that Shaw's Supermarket had put together to make it convenient for folks to make a donation when shopping. I really like that they do that. I can't afford to give very much at all this year, but every tiny bit does make a difference, so I feel good that I was at least able to do that much.

The important thing to remember is that people need food every day, not just at holiday times, so if you can make a donation to a food bank - Second Harvest is really good - in April, or August, or ANY day, please do so. I know that the folks that get their food this way appreciate it more than most people will ever realize.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to bed hungry many nights after I was divorced and had three small children. I am proud to say though my kids never went to bed hungry. Until almost three years ago I gave regularly to the St. Vincents at the church which was mainly used for the church food bank. I took a large pay cut three years ago because of a looming layoff and am still trying to get right financially so I haven't been giving. I am not to the point of going hungry though although at 51 I think going a little hungry would probably do me some good combating the middle age spread though.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a time where we barely had any food. It was not a good feeling.
We ate Ramen Noodles & PB&J Sandwiches for dinner & snack. We didn't eat breakfast or lunch.
We had to do that for almost a year & it took a toll on our health.
Thankfully that is over now & we are eating regularly
Feels good to be full!

Everyone deserves a good meal!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When me and my ex first got married we hardly ever had anything. We were way to young and way to stupid. I ended up in the hospital several times because of my diabetes before he decided to actually get a job that would pay even though he didnt enjoy it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to bed hungry more times than i can count when i was a little girl.....and it was not for lack of food in the kitchen- it was because my father and step mom would starve me and not allow me to eat most of the time when i went for my visits, i got locked in my bedroom and was not allowed to eat/etc. It was aweful.

This went on for quite a long time (every other weekend) when i was little, until my mom got full custody of me and i never had to go back there again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I went to bed hungry more times than i can count when i was a little girl.....and it was not for lack of food in the kitchen- it was because my father and step mom would starve me and not allow me to eat most of the time when i went for my visits, i got locked in my bedroom and was not allowed to eat/etc. It was aweful.

This went on for quite a long time (every other weekend) when i was little, until my mom got full custody of me and i never had to go back there again.
Oh my goodness Nik.........how awful! Those people are sick!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Oh my goodness Nik.........how awful! Those people are sick!!
Things got beter when my mom got full custody of me.
My mom fought her butt off to get full custody of me- what makes me mad is how long it takes the courts to handle abuse cases/etc....it's unacceptable. that and both of them essentially got off scot free
. I have had nothing to do with eithor my step mom or my dad in years and want to keep it that way.

Reguardless though, i have nothing but good things to be thankfull for now- including food on my table anytime i'm hungry- so for that i'm greatful!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. I sure have. I've had some pretty lean times this past year, especially since October when my rent increased yet again!

I usually donate to Winnipeg Harvest in order to help provide food hampers for those in need at Christmas time. One year when I was working I sponsored a family of 6 and did up a hamper for them and delivered it.

This year I can't do that
and I find myself on the receiving end. I declared bankruptcy last week so things should get better for me.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wow! I always knew how lucky I was, but now, after hearing these stories, I'm even more grateful for what I have. Nobody should ever have to be hungry. I was very lucky indeed, as a kid, as I never remember hunger (in fact, I was fat). We never had any fancy food, mostly cheap stuff, but Mom is a great cook, and it always tasted good. We had pretty simple, but balanced meals, and always had enough for seconds. We also usually had a vegetable garden, too, which helped.

When I read the stories here, I was reminded of something the former Buffalo Bills quarterback Jim Kelly wrote about his childhood: there were 6 hungry boys, plus Mom & Dad, in the family. He said they always had food on the table, even though many dinners consisted of canned baked beans, period. But, he appreciated the fact that his parents saw that the boys always were fed, even though they were very poor.

Years ago, I used to cook chili for a church group that distributed it to the homeless in town. I loved doing that (I only cooked it at home,though); then they decided they "Just didn't feel like doing it anymore."! How can you do that, and leave needy people in the lurch?!!??

This may souond corny, but every day, I thank God for the food in our pantry. I'm a big believer in stocking up when you can, for financial emergencies. DH and I have had a lot of close calls financially with his job (he gets paid hourly, and the hours just haven't been there the past 2 years). Once, he got suspended without pay for 2 weeks (which was an error, it was only supposed to be 1 week, and for something the other person later admitted she made up to get him fired). Thanks to my pantry, we barely noticed any financial stress--I just cut back on other stuff. I get paid every 2 weeks, so, the paychecks when I have few bills, I buy canned goods on sale, etc.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, really just over a month ago I was doing that.

It stunk.

I plan on buying extra cans of food to keep in my car. Then if I seen a canned food drive I'll be prepared

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in college times were lean sometimes. The worst was the year after graduation though. DH and I ate ramen, and on a good week mac'n'cheese with sausage cut up in it. Raven racked up a couple thousand in vet bills that year due to urinary tract problems.

My husband was actually laid off and didn't have much money when I met him. I remember during Oktoberfest that year, we all went to Erberts & Gerberts for subs, and he didn't have the money for one so wasn't going to eat. Although I could see he was practically drooling while we were waiting to order. Yeah, I bought him a sub that night.
He came over for frozen pizza many times the year I met him, too. We dated on a budget---I was a student and he was out of work for 4-5 months until the company called him back. I know he had some very hard times a few years before I met him.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I am very lucky that I have always been able to afford food.

The only times when I have gone to bed hungry were times when I was really depressed. Especially after my ex left me. I would often be too upset to eat, or have too little energy to get food. I was feeling awful and punishing myself at the same time.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I have been very fortunate in my life but I always appreciated it and have donated as much as I can to the local food bank. This year I donated my year-end bonus to the local food bank because others need it more than I do.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I havent, but when i was a child the nextdoor neighbours were a large family and quite poor

My mum would often bring the two youngest ones who were about the same age as myself into our house and give them a meal when we were having one.

We all grew up and left home, and Kevin the youngest still keeps in touch with me, and he said he'll never ever forget what my parents did for him and his sister. Even at christmas my sister would always make a stocking up for Kevin and his sister because she said she'll never forget their faces one christmas when they saw what i had