We're getting a new car!!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sooo excited!!!!!
We're getting a new car

Colin suprised me tonight and took me to look at cars at the local dealership!
We decided it's time to look into getting another vehicle that's going to be more efficient for our needs and for a family as we're planning to try and have a baby soon!

His Ford Ranger truck (currently in the dealership's shop) needs a new engine, and it's 10 yrs old...so he is going to take it out of the shop and replace the engine himself as that's the only thing really wrong with it. Then he plans to just use it around town to haul things/etc and use the new car as the primary vehicle. We'll use the truck until it can't go anymore, hopefully we can get a few more good years out of it. I am going to hang on to my car (mercury,sable) until after we're married and then sell it and use the money for that as extra savings/etc since we won't need two car type vehicles. We need the truck for towing/hauling things as he's always building things, and we need a more energy efficient vehicle with space to it for our new family.

The new vehicle is going to be a 2008 Ford Escape XLT (4WD). I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!
We got to test drive one tonight.....it feels very similar to my current car (mercury, sable) and rides very smoothly. I think my favorite part to the Escape is the huge "greenhouse" type windows up front- you can see EVERYTHING! (i'm short -so that is a huge plus when i can see well in a car/suv!) The gas milage is pretty good too. We are looking at getting a 4 cylinder engine....both of us prefer the 6 cylinder....but the price difference is quite a bit, and you loose 2 miles more per gallon when you get the 6 (the more power- the more gas you use) so since the 4 rides well, i think we're going with that one.

We looked into getting a Ford Escape Hybrid- but they are sooo not even worth it. It would take about 15 yrs for it to be worth it gas wise- not a good expense! We researched a lot on it- so we're not going to do a hybrid one- they're about $10,000 extra...and you really won't be saving any money because yes, you'll be paying less in gas- but your car note will be considerably more....and it'll take years before it really "pays for itself" as far as gas goes. The regular non-hybrid model though is good on gas- so that's great for us! It gets better gas milage as a SUV than my car does!

Do any of you have Escapes or know anyone who owns one?? Do you like them? Pros? Cons? We're going tomorrow to sign the papers probably. We are fortunate too- Colin's dad used to work for Ford Motors....so we are getting a huge break on the price of the vehicle- so we're definitely blessed to be saving a little as far as that goes.

Here's the model we're looking at!!!!
I LOVE it!!!

that's kind of an ugly picture of it- it doesn't do it justice! i swear it's really cute!
http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/escape/

(this is a picture of what it looks like- only ours is going to be fire red
http://www.fordvehicles.com/boredomhurts/escape/)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I did work for Ford for 20 years!!!!! And if you are getting it AXZ or D plan the price is very good!!

My SIL has the sister vehicle the Merc Mariner for a couple of years and really enjoys it (she had a Windstar before).

We had Explorers for 10 years before trading back to a car (Merc Milan) and one really misses the convenience of a SUV.

I think you will enjoy it as you will be sitting higher up than the car. You will be able to transport animals easier too!!

Enjoy!!!!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats always exciting to get a new car!! Fire red is an awesome color

Definitely show us photos of your new car when you get it

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We won't buy Fords of any kind. IMO there are far better cars/trucks out there. We stick to Toyotas/Hyundais or Chevy (truck)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

OMG that is one sexy car! lol
Aww thanks!

Originally Posted by GailC

Well I did work for Ford for 20 years!!!!! And if you are getting it AXZ or D plan the price is very good!!

My SIL has the sister vehicle the Merc Mariner for a couple of years and really enjoys it (she had a Windstar before).

We had Explorers for 10 years before trading back to a car (Merc Milan) and one really misses the convenience of a SUV.

I think you will enjoy it as you will be sitting higher up than the car. You will be able to transport animals easier too!!

Enjoy!!!!
We're getting the Z plan- so we actually will wind up getting a better discount than their current employees do. Kinda stinks for their current people, but hey- it's good for us! (i think we get about $100 less than the current employees do.- according to the guy we talked to last night, the current ones get the A plan i believe if that's right.) Overall though it will save us several thousand!
I'm excited! It's one awesome discount!

And yes i agree- i LOVED being able to see the entire road when i test drove it last night- i love the "greenhouse" windows too- you really can see out of this one well, even if your short like me
There's tons of room in it for me to transport the furbabies back and forth too!

Originally Posted by Katz4Life

Thats always exciting to get a new car!! Fire red is an awesome color
Definitely show us photos of your new car when you get it
I will see if my mom will let me borrow her camera to snap some pictures of it when we get it!
Colin went to the dealership tonight to start the paperwork (i'm sick, so i stayed home). We'll bring it home later in the week hopefully! We're getting the driveway repaved soon- so we're trying to figure out where to put all the vehicles

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

We won't buy Fords of any kind. IMO there are far better cars/trucks out there. We stick to Toyotas/Hyundais or Chevy (truck)
We have had very good experiences with Fords, so for us, we like them and they are a great fit for what we need
We are also greatfull to be recieving a very good discount thanks to his father retiring from their company -so they really take care of us.
We like it!

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

How exciting! It looks beautiful!
Thankyou!
I'm soo excited!!! I have never had a new car before- so this is kind of exciting!!!
It's going to be just perfect for our needs to! Good on gas, tons and tons of room- very safe, i'm soo thankfully we've been blessed to be able to get this!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very exciting! My next car will be an SUV too, but I want a Pontiac Torrant or a Hybrid!
Enjoy it, and make sure you take pictures for us!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I heard about the Escapes was when they first came out. The steering wheel would randomly fall off. There was a huge recall for this back in 2001/2002.

Otherwise I haven't heard a negative peep since...so I guess they're good.

Good planning on not getting the hybrid. I looked into the Honda Civic Hybrid and even after the tax break and $$ saved on gas, it still took 5 or more years to break even. IMO if they really want to push the hybrid, they need to make it more affordable for everyone (aka if they REALLY cared about the environment...)

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting! We didn't look at the Escapes at all before we bought our car. I saw one in a parking lot later and I think it's one of the few SUV's I probably would like. It's small and seems to have good visibility.

We bought a 2007 Ford Fusion in July and we love it.
It has all of the same safety ratings as the Camry and Accord (we have the one with all of the safety stuff including side air bags), plus Consumer Reports loves it. We actually originally intended to get a Focus, and test drove the Fusion after. We just fell in love with it. We dealt with 4 or 5 different dealers before we got a price and car with the options we wanted.
I'm very pleased with Ford. Did they tell you about the Ford program that's like AAA? I feel so much more secure driving the car because of that. No worrying about a flat tire.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Very exciting! My next car will be an SUV too, but I want a Pontiac Torrant or a Hybrid!
Enjoy it, and make sure you take pictures for us!
I will definitely take pictures when we get it here!
Hopefully by the end of the week

Originally Posted by Bella713

How exciting Nikki
....you enjoy it and be safe...The most important thing is that YOU like your vehicle
Thankyou Helen!
I really do like it! I prefer the V6 engine to the V4, but the V4 is a little better on gas and about a thousand less, so i think we're going to go with that one (the less power you use, the less gas you burn). That's the only thing i'm not insanely wild about - but it's ok- from driving it alone, it felt very nice!! I also am happy about the safety ratings and the average mpg! It's going to be just perfect for kiddos too if we have any down the road! And the seats in the back fold completly flat- so there's a ton of room in there for the doggies!

Originally Posted by lunasmom

All I heard about the Escapes was when they first came out. The steering wheel would randomly fall off. There was a huge recall for this back in 2001/2002.

Otherwise I haven't heard a negative peep since...so I guess they're good.

Good planning on not getting the hybrid. I looked into the Honda Civic Hybrid and even after the tax break and $$ saved on gas, it still took 5 or more years to break even. IMO if they really want to push the hybrid, they need to make it more affordable for everyone (aka if they REALLY cared about the environment...)
I asked them if there were any current recalls on them or any parts on it and they said no- so i'm hoping all is ok on it!
I agree with you on the hybrid thing- they need to make them more affordable- because honestly, they're not worth it at the rate they're charging for them. They are EXCELLENT on gas- but they are not worth the money because you won't break even for at least 10 yrs if not more. The good thing about this one though is that for an SUV, it gets better gas milage than my Mercury Sable! So i will be using this one the most often as it's the most energy efficient out of our vehicles. We're also sticklers for proper maintance (oil changes, monitoring the pressure in the tires,etc) and that helps keep the car running well and lets you get more gas for your money.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I LOVE the new Escape! I test drove 1 before I bought my Subaru....the only reason I didn't get it was I prefer a sedan to an SUV because the car handles a little batter, IMO. I am a Ford girl all the way... just ended up costing too much and wasn't exactly what I wanted.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pipersjo

I LOVE the new Escape! I test drove 1 before I bought my Subaru....the only reason I didn't get it was I prefer a sedan to an SUV because the car handles a little batter, IMO. I am a Ford girl all the way... just ended up costing too much and wasn't exactly what I wanted.
I'm glad you're enjoying your Subaru!
That's great!
We will wind up saving a good deal with the discount- so that will make it more affordable for us (thankfully). I'm used to cars myself, but i think this SUV is going to work out well for us as a family car
It'll be perfect for when we have kids, or for long trips, or taking the dogs around town!
I'm soo excited!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ford Escapes are SOOOOO Cute too Nikki!! (Even though I am a Honda lover, I really do like Escapes!) Congrats!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Ford Escapes are SOOOOO Cute too Nikki!! (Even though I am a Honda lover, I really do like Escapes!) Congrats!
My first car was a 88' Honda Accord (hatchback) - ohhh my gosh- you wanna talk about an AWESOME car!!!!! (I still miss mine!) It ran like a horse until the day an F150 plowed into me
Fords and Hondas are my absolute favorites!!

I'm sooo excited about the new Escape!
We get to bring it home tomorrow
(and they're gonna tow the truck back home too for free
Colin's gonna fix it up and get it running again hopefully, then we can sell eithor it or my car.)

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

We won't buy Fords of any kind. IMO there are far better cars/trucks out there.
Ford is very popular over here.

Nikki that's a smart looking set of wheels and looks very similar to my nextdoor neighbours, so if it's as comfortable as what theirs is you'll love it!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Ford is very popular over here.

Nikki that's a smart looking set of wheels and looks very similar to my nextdoor neighbours, so if it's as comfortable as what theirs is you'll love it!
Thankyou Susan!!
I'm soo excited!
Colin is at the dealership as i type- he's bringing it home tonight!
I can't wait to see it again!! They did a detailed cleaning of it and filled it up with a full tank of gas he said
One of his friends took him to pick it up (i was going to go, but i'm to sick to drive at the moment.) I can't wait for it to get here!!!!
I am soo greatful/thankful for this new car!! It's really going to be perfect for our needs!

I'm going to see if my mom will let me borrow her camera sometime soon so i can snap some pictures of it!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Here!!!!!
It's sooo cute!!! Aww i just love it!!!

We drove it to the store earlier and to get a little dinner and it rides soo well!
I'm soo thankfull for our new car!!!!
I will try and borrow a camera soon so i can snap a few pictures!