Within half an hour,

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beau vomited and had diarrhea
I glanced at the vomit (I have emtophobia) and there was no hair in it or anything, so it wasn't a hairball. Is this something that warrants a visit to the vet tomorrow at 9am (unlimited free Banfield checkups, woo) or should I wait and see if it persists?

sablemerle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he's both vomiting and has diarrhea, he could dangerously dehydrate fairly quickly.

Do you have any reason to think he may have gotten into something he shouldn't?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sablemerle

If he's both vomiting and has diarrhea, he could dangerously dehydrate fairly quickly.

Do you have any reason to think he may have gotten into something he shouldn't?
Not at all. He's only been here for almost a month, so he's in hiding most of the time.

He threw up two more times

I can't really handle this because of my emetophobia... I closed my eyes and covered the messes in cat litter, but I don't know what else to do...

I guess we're going to the vet later...

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At best, he just ate something that disagreed with him; at worst are problems like blockages, which are life-threatening. The last time my Baby Girl vomited it was because she'd eaten the plastic band that comes wrapped around bologna, the silly girl... I'd had no idea she'd got it out of the trash and eaten it, and I was soo glad she'd managed to puke it up rather than it getting tangled in her gut. Some foreign object or other can definitely cause vomiting and digestive upset. You're right to take the cat to the vet--at best, it's a precaution; but it could save its life.

Hairballs are really a fact of life with cats. Have you got a friend who can help you with cleanup, or is it possible to do it yourself?

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

At best, he just ate something that disagreed with him; at worst are problems like blockages, which are life-threatening. The last time my Baby Girl vomited it was because she'd eaten the plastic band that comes wrapped around bologna, the silly girl... I'd had no idea she'd got it out of the trash and eaten it, and I was soo glad she'd managed to puke it up rather than it getting tangled in her gut. Some foreign object or other can definitely cause vomiting and digestive upset. You're right to take the cat to the vet--at best, it's a precaution; but it could save its life.

Hairballs are really a fact of life with cats. Have you got a friend who can help you with cleanup, or is it possible to do it yourself?
Well, I covered it in cat litter, and hopefully I'll just be able to sweep it up (hah, I learned that from elementary school janitors!).

Beau hasn't thrown up at all since last time, and he's definitely been drinking water. The only things I could imagine that could disagree with him are Feline Greenies I have him the other day, or he was playing with one of those feather wands and chewing on the plastic ribbon parts, so he might have swallowed a peice of it.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's been eating feline greenies, that could possibly be what caused him to throw up. When I used to let my cats outside, they would eat grass and throw up afterwards. They eat the grass on purpose, to help clean out furballs. I don't know it that would cause diarrhea, though..

I'd at least call the vet, to see what his opinion is..

I hope it's nothing serious.

~KK~

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

If he's been eating feline greenies, that could possibly be what caused him to throw up. When I used to let my cats outside, they would eat grass and throw up afterwards. They eat the grass on purpose, to help clean out furballs. I don't know it that would cause diarrhea, though..

I'd at least call the vet, to see what his opinion is..

I hope it's nothing serious.

~KK~
I believe the feline greenies are cat treats - not grass.

I would stay away from all treats until their tummy settles. Also check for dehydration. Gently pinch the skin at the back of the neck - if it stays pinched after you let go instead of immediately falling back to normal position, your kitty is dehydrated. Please let us know what the vet says.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I believe the feline greenies are cat treats - not grass.
Oh - my mistake! I thought she was referring to that indoor grass stuff that you can give to your cats.

~KK~

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He seems to be doing better. He ate most of his wet lunch and has definitely been drinking water. His poop also had some shape to it (it's easy to tell since he doesn't cover it...ew) instead of being all liquidy.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be the greenies. Sadly, some cats they just don't settle well with.

Though with a skittish cat you don't know very well, especially since you can't look at the vomit, a vet trip wouldn't necessarily be overboard.

Keep a close eye, I'm glad to hear he's doing better!