Kittens rescued from outdoors

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My daughter was able to rescue 3 kittens from the outdoors where they have been living with their mom in my daughter's shed. Our weather is below freezing and she was advised by the local shelter that the kittens would freeze if not brought inside. Mom cat is meowing and looking for the babies. My daughter has fed her for at least a year outside. I know she is still nursing but she brought the kittens and showed them the food so they are old enough to eat wet food. This is her 3rd. litter this year. Mama cat is impossible to catch so she can be TNR, my question is: how long is she going to grieve for these missing babies? I feel so bad for her but at least the babies will survive. Hopefully a local vet will take them and find homes. Do you think the babies should have remained outdoors with Mom or did my daughter do the right thing?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are the babies? So you've tried catching Mama cat with a live trap, etc, to no avail? Wow....

I would venture to guess that you have saved the babies' lives, even if Mama is missing them.

I'm not going to be much help, unfortunately. Someone with feral/stray experience should chime in.

YOu might also want to post this on the Stray/Feral section.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

How old are the babies? So you've tried catching Mama cat with a live trap, etc, to no avail? Wow....

I would venture to guess that you have saved the babies' lives, even if Mama is missing them.

I'm not going to be much help, unfortunately. Someone with feral/stray experience should chime in.

YOu might also want to post this on the Stray/Feral section.
The babies are approximately 5 weeks old. Out local shelter has been trying to trap the mother for quite a while. I rescued one of her babies at 3 months and the cat is now 18mo. old. Juno definately has feral tendencies. She hides whenever anyone comes in. However she sleeps with me but will not let anyone else pet her. Hopefully since these babies are still young they will become socialized.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is, that if they are still nursing, then get them some KMR (kitten milk replacement) and feed them through a bottle or syringe. If they are any yunger than 8 weeks then this should be done. Take them to the vet just to get a guestimate of their age. Also have them wormed for ringworm as it is VERY likely that they have it.

Also, fleas is another thing to look out for. Comb them down to check. There are loads of threads in this forum and the Care and Groming forum about flea treatment for kittens, although again the vet is best to advise if meds is the last resort.

I think this is the right thing to do, no kitten should be left outside, they could be preyed on, or freeze to death. When they are older, (12 weeks) advertise them and give them good homes.

Good luck to your daughter. And thank-you for taking these kittens in.

If you can trap the mother, it is best to have her spayed if you can afford it, and then let her back out or take her to a shelter. She should also have shots and have blood tests. Being Feral, the kittens may also have diseases, so it would be good to have them tested too.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
they need to be with their mom, if they die, well be better than, bring them to the shelter and nobody wants them, then die that way. you need to show her the babies and can't she put a heater out their for the mama and give them back, they aren't old enough to be away, because they have to learn things from her , like covering up their poop, if they are taken too soon they will have behavioral problems when they get older! kinda messing with nature!!
can't you set up some kind of safe warm place for the mama and her kittens. R u sure you can't live trap mama, I did and my mama cat was so wild, I covered the trap with a beach towel and put tuna in the trap! i got her and she is now at the present time sleeping on my bed! How would you feel about losing your babies? she will meow for them for days!! Not fair to her!something else, wash the trap with soap and water before using it! Mama cat probably smells the fear and scent of the others that have been in there before!!! My mama cat was pregnant after i trapped her and brought her to the vet, she stayed at the vet for about a wk. or so and whenever i came to get her she was completely tamed, she was wild,. she came to my house had her babies inside my house and now she is still pretty scared of others that come here.. she will hide, but she is a precious doll so sweet!!!!!!!
Monique

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

All I can say is, that if they are still nursing, then get them some KMR (kitten milk replacement) and feed them through a bottle or syringe. If they are any yunger than 8 weeks then this should be done. Take them to the vet just to get a guestimate of their age. Also have them wormed for ringworm as it is VERY likely that they have it.

Also, fleas is another thing to look out for. Comb them down to check. There are loads of threads in this forum and the Care and Groming forum about flea treatment for kittens, although again the vet is best to advise if meds is the last resort.

I think this is the right thing to do, no kitten should be left outside, they could be preyed on, or freeze to death. When they are older, (12 weeks) advertise them and give them good homes.

Good luck to your daughter. And thank-you for taking these kittens in.

If you can trap the mother, it is best to have her spayed if you can afford it, and then let her back out or take her to a shelter. She should also have shots and have blood tests. Being Feral, the kittens may also have diseases, so it would be good to have them tested too.
My daughter has raised a 2 1/2 week old kitten the summer of '06. He was abandoned in a truck. The family fed him the vet recommended milk and the kitten is now a beautiful tuxedo type cat. They are currently bottle and syringe feeding these babies as well. These kits are also eating pate wet food. They are seeing a vet tomorrow. I agree that they are better off inside instead of out with the mom. Someone suggested a heater in the shed. While its a good idea, the door needs to be open somewhat so the mom can get out. Its too risky taking the chance of her moving the babies they way mom cats do. Our local shelter will pay for all vet care as long as my daughter will foster them until a home is found. She has the tuxedo cat and a stray who is currently in the hosp. His name is Mad Eye Moody. You need to be a Harry potter fan to understand. He only has one eye like the Potter character. Our local shelter will also pay to have the mom spayed if she is ever caught. Thank you for your response.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

they need to be with their mom, if they die, well be better than, bring them to the shelter and nobody wants them, then die that way. you need to show her the babies and can't she put a heater out their for the mama and give them back, they aren't old enough to be away, because they have to learn things from her , like covering up their poop, if they are taken too soon they will have behavioral problems when they get older! kinda messing with nature!!
can't you set up some kind of safe warm place for the mama and her kittens. R u sure you can't live trap mama, I did and my mama cat was so wild, I covered the trap with a beach towel and put tuna in the trap! i got her and she is now at the present time sleeping on my bed! How would you feel about losing your babies? she will meow for them for days!! Not fair to her!something else, wash the trap with soap and water before using it! Mama cat probably smells the fear and scent of the others that have been in there before!!! My mama cat was pregnant after i trapped her and brought her to the vet, she stayed at the vet for about a wk. or so and whenever i came to get her she was completely tamed, she was wild,. she came to my house had her babies inside my house and now she is still pretty scared of others that come here.. she will hide, but she is a precious doll so sweet!!!!!!!
Monique
I am very glad that you were able to rescue your beloved cat. However I have to respecfully disagree with you thaat the babies are better off outside in 24 degree weather with the mom. At least they will have a chance to live this way. To freeze,suffer and die in this cold would be terrible. They are in good hands. I agree the mom is going to grieve, but better that then have the kits die. The mom has been a feral cat for a long time and knows how to survive, but the babies do not. Its not easy trapping the mom our local shelter has been trying to do it for over a year. To complicate things more, we are not permitted to have animals where we live. So we can't openly try to catch the cat but the shelter can. Thank you for your reply.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know its cold outside, but is it possible to put the babies in a live trap, maybe with a heating pad and some wet food, and have the mom come to them? Then you could let the momma continue nursing and the get her spayed when they were weaned? I'm sure it wouldn't take long for the mom to come to her babies.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

I am very glad that you were able to rescue your beloved cat. However I have to respecfully disagree with you thaat the babies are better off outside in 24 degree weather with the mom. At least they will have a chance to live this way. To freeze,suffer and die in this cold would be terrible. They are in good hands. I agree the mom is going to grieve, but better that then have the kits die. The mom has been a feral cat for a long time and knows how to survive, but the babies do not. Its not easy trapping the mom our local shelter has been trying to do it for over a year. To complicate things more, we are not permitted to have animals where we live. So we can't openly try to catch the cat but the shelter can. Thank you for your reply.
24 degrees????My bad!!!After reading what your reply to sadie was I believe
you are right! You all have a wonderful shelter!!!Our shelter here is not good at all, I just didn't know the whole story! So I apologize, and I wish the best for your daughter,
she is a woman after my own heart!! Kudos to all!
I hope everything works out for the best and I know it will!! Good Luck!! and I hope your not upset at my reply!
Monique

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get a drop trap? Then you could put the kittens in a carrier as the "bait" and then drop trap the momma. The drop traps work great for live trap shy kitties.

This momma needs to get TNR'ed. Having her recent babies is the perfect lure to get her done now before she is pregnant again.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright peeps, you cant put them back out there because their smell is different now and she wouldn't except them back. They're good where there at and it would not be fair to put them back outside. The momma will be caught eventually but its not fair to the kittens who dont know how to survive. They dont smell like their momma anymore. That option has closed! I had a bottle fed baby from the day he was born and you know what?? He's fine. He's seven years old. Momma died and he is mine now. I took care of him and he's perfectly healthy.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had this same dilemma when I caught a feral kitten recently. I wasn't sure if I did the right thing taking him from the mom (who was either feral or a wildish stray) but now I believe that yes it was the right thing. The fact is that if you left the babies with the mom they would most likely end up feral themselves-- IF they survived! When I caught this little kitten (about 6 weeks old), he had a bad case of worms, a cold, and was anemic. He is getting better with a lot of special care. After I caught him we began to get even colder weather, sleet, and snow... I am very glad now that I did catch him because if I had not I don't think he would have survived.
I agree with whoever suggested you give the kittens KMR in addition to wet food. I don't think you should have any problems with caring for them as long as you keep them warm and give them frequent feedings(and vet care)-- I have raised orphans much younger than that with no problems...

Good luck with the babies!