What words do your cats understand?

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beauty understands strokies time (because that's when she gets stroked and loved) food (because she gets fed, obviously) drink and bed time.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Quill understands "No", "Where's your Tiger?", "Up", "Straws", "Bed Time", "Yes", "Hey" and "Pillow" and his own name. Although you gotta wonder what they *really* understand sometimes

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they really understand everything, but its just what words they want to respond to is the real issue
Like treats, food, are you hungry? You know, all the ones where it involves food of some sort

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Java understands 'kisses' & will usually lift her nose to me to be kissed.
they all understand 'no'.
they all know their names... except for Firefox, but that's 'cause i call her Puter Bug

other than that, i can't guarantee they actually 'know' any other words.

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine both know their names.

Aura knows the phrase "where's your mousey" cause she starts searching for her toy mice. She still hasn't grasped No.

Arlokk just seems to know dinner time and good boy, cause he such a good boy. He also knows No. You tell him no and he will stop immediately.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my girls know there names.. "Come Here" "food time" and "get down".. But other then that, they ignore my words..

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of our cats know their names...we do a different tone with each name

All of them know "Outside" "Snacks" "Treats" "Come Here" "Wheres your toy?"

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wesley knows his name. We are working on Sox getting to know her name but she's pretty young so she isn't used to it yet. And they both know the word "no". Either that or it's just the tone of voice I use when I say it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My shelter baby, Checkers, knows the word - treats! He starts screaming louder when I say it!
Took him about 2 seconds to make the association.

My BF's RB cat knew water, lick-lick (Cat Lax), hungry, food, brush, come on, and treats. Oh yes, he knew his name, Cato.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zane knows his name. He'll be apparently sound asleep, but if you say his name the tail will flip. Also, if you say "dinner" he'll run over to the closet where his food is kept and pound on the door.

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is my understanding that all masters understand all that which we utter, regardless of language used. A valid response, however, is quite a different bag of catnip. The master may or may decide to respond, as their whim dictates.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pipsqueek knows more words than Frantic. They both know their names and OUT. But Pip also knows breakfast, I'm watching you, I'm in here, Belly rub and Lets go. Frantic knows thirsty, kisses (gives me a headbutt)and turn(He'll turn around on the sink so I can brush the other side) .

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie understands din-din (dinner), night-night, and sometimes the word NO. Oh yeah, one night we were in bed and he had his eyes closed. He opened them the tinnest bit and I said "I see you peekin." He shut his eyes when I said that.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's learning 'no.' (Though he's stubborn as a mule...
) He knows 'kitsy food' means wet-food-time-oh-boy!

He also know 'puddin' cause that's what I usually call him.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Butzie knows her name and "nummies!" I pat my thigh if I want her to follow me or the bed if I want her to come up and she will do so if she pleases.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He understands 'no' and 'ow'... today he was standing on my ankle and it kind of hurt, I said ow, and he looked confused, because he only gets ow when attacking my feet... he didn't know what to do with himself.

He also responds to 'upee', 'ready for bed', 'kisses', 'what?' (I get an answer when I ask) 'come lay down', 'come here', and there are a lot of others. He's pretty responsive when I talk. It's just me and him so I talk to him a lot.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They all know their names, although Eightball answers to any of them.

With 12 in the house, they have learned these corrective phrases:
I don't think so
No
Uh-uh
What do you think you're doing?
DOWN
Stop it NOW
Don't be an #%&@^

And the positive ones:
Good girl!
Good boy!
Up? or Pick up? (in my arms)