Scooter needs vibes... again.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scooter will be a year old on December 11th. I got him when he was 6 weeks old, and he has been sick every couple of months since then.

When he's healthy, he loves to bark, especially in his crate. So I can always tell when he's getting sick again. He will just lay in his crate and not say a word... even when I'm preparing food. That's the first day, and he also starts drooling excessively and will growl if any of the other animals come near the crate. He still wants to eat and acts somewhat perky when going for walks on this first day.

The next day, he gets a fever... usually ends up around 105-106. He has diarrhea and is really lethargic. He has no more interest in food or water. This is usually when we rush him to the vet. They give him a shot to lower the temp, check him for worms, do a Parvo test, and send him home with a week's worth of antibiotics (SMZ TMP). Within a day or two, he's back to his normal self.

All the vets have ever been able to tell me is that "it's an infection". But no idea what kind of infection. The first time they hospitalized him for 4 days and said it wasn't Parvo (tests were all negative) but in the end said it must have been Parvo because there was no other explanation. He hasn't been hospitalized at all since.

Today, he's showing signs of being sick again. This is the first day... somewhat lethargic but not excessively so yet, drooling, growling when any of the dogs or cats pass by his crate, but still wanted to eat earlier.

He's been to multiple vets and all have had the same answer... "some kind of infection, no idea what, Parvo test is negative but that's our only explanation". I've taken him to every single vet in my area.

I just don't know what to do about this anymore. I hate seeing him sick so often and no one can come up with an explanation for me! We'll have to go spend another $200 at the vet now, and still get no real answers.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? I'm just getting so frustrated by it all.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have they done some blood work>> sounds like a immune disorder

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Have they done some blood work>> sounds like a immune disorder
The first vet did a full CBC each of the four days that he was hospitalized. The vet said that there was nothing really unusual. None of the other vets have done any blood work. The only tests they have run are a fecal test for worms and a Parvo test each time.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about an internal medicine vet or group? Or the nearest vet school, with the latest equipment and research.
It won't be cheap, but in the long run, it might be cheaper if you the answers.

Sorry, but if a CBC/feal/parvo was all that was done, I would be looking for a new vet.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

The first vet did a full CBC each of the four days that he was hospitalized. The vet said that there was nothing really unusual. None of the other vets have done any blood work. The only tests they have run are a fecal test for worms and a Parvo test each time.
NONE of the other vets did blood work? Why not?

I'll take notes of this, and ask my teacher (I go to Tech school, and one of my teachers may have an idea).