Any suggestions for cats and Menorahs?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This will be Butzie's 1st Hanukkah with us. We don't just have 1 menorah - we have 12. On the 8th night, we have to turn off the smoke detectors. I don't know if she will try to jump on the table when we they are lit or during the day to play with them. Any ideas?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oy! Such a dilemma! Can you scale back your plans for lighting so many Menorahs? I would think Butzie - or any animal - would be wary of fire, but I don't know. How about getting one of those cheesy electrical Menorahs?

The big problem would be if she bumps the Menorah and knocks it over, possibly setting something on fire. Perhaps vigilance will be needed.

Maybe someone here who likes to light decorative candles can give better advice than me.

Anyway, Hag Someach! Don't eat too many latkes!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My grannie had a menorah with lightbulbs ... maybe that would work...

Yeah scale back ... my Zoey is attracted to flame ...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see why a cat would be attracted to a candle flame - it's hypnotic, it moves and it is not like a roaring, crackling fire. My BF's cat was wary of the fireplace when it was going, getting juuuuuuust close enough to warm his butt!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

My grannie had a menorah with lightbulbs ... maybe that would work...

Yeah scale back ... my Zoey is attracted to flame ...
A menorah with light bulbs is not 'kosher'.

I know some people who have all the menorahs out on display, but they only light the "big" menorah. That way there is less danger from the candle flames. Another option would be to try to find a place where the cat would not be able to reach the menorahs, or do not allow the cat in the room where they are lit when you are not home to watch her. Do you have a mantle?

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to just confine her to a non menorah room? (at least when you're not there to watch her) It's only going to be 8 days. That way you can enjoy your celebration and not have to worry about her being burned or catching something on fire.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with tabbytail...could you confine the cat to, say, a spare bedroom while you are not at home?

Other than that...the only thing I could think of, is if you have a fireplace, you could put the manorahs in it (with a metal screen in front) at least while you are not at home?

Art

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well hopefully if she gets near enough to the flame she will have enough sense to leave it alone!

We had a few Christmas candles lit when our small group from church was over here Wednesday. Charlie got a little close and we don't know if he got singed or not (couldn't see anything) but he back off quick. We did blow out the candles so he would not get in trouble

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Butzie has ignored all the candles, lit or not. Whatever!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your religion is great when it comes to 'exceptions' for things that need extra care, and common sense applied, and you might want to think hard in this case about more than a couple of menorahs as the whole situation would scare the heck out of me (so many of them to watch out for and so many cat tails!).