Mites - Help please

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a new kitty from a shelter last Thursday. I noticed she had ear mites, so I took her back and the shelter treated her ears Saturday.

I then noticed she has "dandruff" along her spine, so I'm assuming it's fur mites.

Will flea and tick "spot on" medicines kill mites? I got some at the pet store yesterday. I also purchased a pyrethrin spray and sprayed the areas where she lays. The spray says it's safe to spray on the cat, but I haven't done that yet. I wanted to ask about the other treatment first.

How long will I need to keep her quarantined?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! The dandruff could be from her not having a very good diet. Please don't use over the counter sprays or flea treatments on you new baby. They can have serious and deadly side effects. You can go by your vets office and pick up a tube of Revolution for less than 20.00 and get rid of everything.

ETA- Info on Pyrethrin

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ight=pyrethrin

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by snuggy's mom

I adopted a new kitty from a shelter last Thursday. I noticed she had ear mites, so I took her back and the shelter treated her ears Saturday.

I then noticed she has "dandruff" along her spine, so I'm assuming it's fur mites.

Will flea and tick "spot on" medicines kill mites? I got some at the pet store yesterday. I also purchased a pyrethrin spray and sprayed the areas where she lays. The spray says it's safe to spray on the cat, but I haven't done that yet. I wanted to ask about the other treatment first.

How long will I need to keep her quarantined?
I'm not familiar with fur mites. Please don't spray anything on the cat until some folks with more knowledge and experience can answer your questions. Over-the-counter sprays and medications often don't work and in some cases have caused death and/or illness.

I would take the cat back to the vet and let them see the "dandruff". It may well just be dry skin from a poor diet. So, please don't treat your cat for anything if you are unsure what you are treating for.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I've ever heard of fur mites
Stan had a terrible case of dandruff when we first got him and a good diet and some fish oil made it pretty much go away. He does have a much milder relapse now and then when it's too dry out.

He may just have dry skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. That is horrible about the pyrethrin! I'm glad I didn't put any on her!

Yes, I think a vet appointment is needed!

I am dying to introduce her to my boy kitty, so the sooner we get this cleared up, the better!

Once I get the okay from the vet, I can start the introduction process.

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

You can go by your vets office and pick up a tube of Revolution for less than 20.00 and get rid of everything.
What about Frontline? Is it safe?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snuggy's mom

What about Frontline? Is it safe?
Frontline is safe if you get it from your vet, but it only treats fleas. Revolution will kill ear mites, fleas, lice, roundworms, hookworms, and will protect against heartworm.

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, one more question:

The shelter treated her Saturday with Ivermectin ear drops. Will she need another ear treatment?

I know with my rabbits, I have to treat two or three times in a 2-3 week period because the eggs don't always die.

I'm getting the Revolution from my vet today or tomorrow. Will that take care of it?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It should. You can ask the vet if there would be a problem applying the revolution after having the ear mites treated. If you apply revolution, it will get rid of any left over mites. Ask the vet to be sure!

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went by the vet's yesterday and he said it would be fine to treat her with Revolution (I just had to show him proof of her heartworm test). I applied it last night.

How long should I wait before I let her out of her quarantine room?

I'd like to let her explore the house (she won't have contact with my resident kitty yet). She's been cooped up in a little bedroom for five days, poor thing.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I'd let her out now!
If she has had her shots and your other cat has been vaccinated, I think it's time for introductions! Let that baby play!!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more thing! How old is your new kitty and what's her name? What does she look like? Got any pictures?

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

How old is your new kitty and what's her name? What does she look like? Got any pictures?
I posted pics in the newbie section:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150176

I'll get better pics of Bella soon. She's prettier than that picture.

I'm going to take a couple more weeks before I put the kitties face to face. I'm going to let her explore and put her scent out in the living room and I'm also going to do the blanket thing to get them used to each others scents.