Successful Rice or Pasta recipes?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Christmas party to attend on Friday, this school wont provide the food, but they are providing Alcohol..

My receptionist told me i have to bring either a rice or pasta salad. I was quite annoyed as I never make those into salads. I have thought of alternatives but it just wouldn't taste nice cold!

Do any of you ever make SIMPLE pasta salads recipes? or rice?

p.s if you post a recipe with mayonnaise, please post the brand of it too.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a lovely rice salad. If you can't get asparagus, I've heard that green beans also work well...

Asparagus, Egg and Arborio Rice Salad with Lemon Dressing
4-6 servings

Serve this simple salad crowned with curls of Parmigiano-Reggiano. (Use a vegetable peeler to shave thick curls from a wedge of cheese.) Served with other salads as part of a buffet, it is a great party dish. The recipe can easily be doubled.

1 cup uncooked Arborio or other medium-grain white rice
Kosher salt
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch diagonal pieces
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon olive oil
Pinch of kosher salt
1/4 cup pignoli (pine nuts)

Dressing
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup thin diagonal sliced scallions (white and green parts)
Thick curls Parmigiano-Reggiano

1.\tHeat 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the rice and 1 teaspoon salt; cover and cook over low heat until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Let stand, uncovered, until cooled to room temperature.

2.\tPlace the asparagus in a vegetable steamer; cover and steam over simmering water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Rinse the asparagus with cool water; drain and let cool.

3.\tWhisk the eggs, in a small bowl. Whisk in 1 tablespoon water, the olive oil, and salt. Heat a small skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium-low heat; add the eggs and cook, stirring gently with a rubber spatula, until scrambled into large clumps. Remove from the heat and set aside.

4.\tToast the pignoli in a small skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 2 minutes.

5.\tFor the dressing: Whisk the oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl.

6.\tAdd the rice, asparagus, eggs, and scallions; fold together to blend. Spoon onto a large deep platter or shallow bowl. Sprinkle with the toasted pignoli and curls of Parmigiano-Reggiano.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to rice or pasta salads, I cheat. I call it Scratch Salad because it is whatever I can "scratch" together. Use the arbrorio rice or jasmine rice. Have carrots in the fridge? Slice them into 1/2 moon shapes and toss them in. Cooked green beans? Toss them it! Celery? Fresh broccoli? Bell peppers? Cut them all into bite sized pieces and toss them in. Just make sure it looks pretty! You don't want all green veggies, nor do you want veggies that are going to melt into the color of the rice! Then get your favorite salad dressing. I use about 1/2 cup dressing for 2 cups of rice. Toss them all together the night before. The day of the party, taste the rice and if it needs more dressing, add less than 1/4 cup. More than that and the salad gets greasy. If you don't have rice, use a small pasta like elbows.

If you want something a little fancier, cook 2 lbs of tortellini. While it is still hot, toss with 3/4 of a red onion sliced into slivers, 1 lb of broccoli heads and a bottle of red wine italian dressing from your favorite brand. Chill over night.