Can't you buy a computer WITHOUT Vista?!?!?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need a computer WITHOUT Windows Vista, I need XP!!!

I am having a heck of a time finding a Dell or Gateway....anything.....with XP!

We need a new computer, but I can't use it for classes unless it has XP or basic Windows. I like XP & use it on this computer. (I just checked the requirements quick as I was about to purchase a Dell online, glad I did as I do not see Vista as an operating system for the college courses online!)

Can't computer makers get it through their heads not everyone wants Vista?

Anybody know of any online retailers where we can order a computer with XP? We're looking for under $600. The computer guy in town we would buy from, but it took him 2+ months to get us our last one....

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are very hard to find and I think April 2008 you won't be able to.

ETA:
This is from another forum:
"WinXP will still be sold until June 2008 when it will be withdrawn from sale. Unless Vista pick up remains slow and they extend this date (again). If one was thinking about building a PC or converting a Vista machine in the next few months it maight be worth picking up an OEM copy of WinXP. Just remember that official support for WinXP will be withdrawn by 2010, after that you will have to use Vista or its replacement to maintain a secure PC."

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope it's January 2008 when no XP machines will be available.

Natalie, do you have a local computer shop in your area? non-national retail chain, but more like a computer support shop? Most of those guys will also build a computer for you. All you need to tell them is the requirements, even if its just XP & for school.

Usually they usually cost less then a Dell or a Gateway.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Natalie, do you have a local computer shop in your area? non-national retail chain, but more like a computer support shop? Most of those guys will also build a computer for you. All you need to tell them is the requirements, even if its just XP & for school.

Usually they usually cost less then a Dell or a Gateway.
Yep Yep...it's way cheaper...Dell/HP also add junk programs that you don't need that slow your pc down anyway.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Yep Yep...it's way cheaper...Dell/HP also add junk programs that you don't need that slow your pc down anyway.
Blah..and with my experience with Dell you're lucky if you get the same computer you ordered.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not unless you buy used or have someone build it for you. You could buy a new one, and pay someone to put XP on it. I am sort of wishing that I had done that with my new computer. :/

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt buy a Dell... I have a Toshiba and LOVE it. I've only had one major problem with it and that was my fault!

But you could get a computer with Vista and downgrade to XP if all else fails.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest the small shop have it built approach

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only small shop is the one who took 2+ months to get our computer to us. He lied to all 4 of us on the phone, plus the guy's who needed the computer to load the business stuff on called him & he swore he'd mailed the computer. Yeah.....we got basically nothing but lies outta him....and when the computer was done he told us it'd cost an additional $200 than quoted($1000). We told him to go to
we had the original price quote & receipt.....he couldn't tell us what he added on without our consent that would cost us an additional $200, either.

Is Dell really that bad?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't buy Dell!

Go to a local computer store near you and have one built for you. It will be much, much cheaper than buying from Dell, and more reliable too. Plus you can get Windows XP

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The online college that I take some classes through might not work with Vista. See, I checked on their website & this is what it says:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTSIn order to make the most of your online learning experience, there are several technical requirements you will need to fulfill. Refer to the guidelines below to help ensure your online success.

Microsoft Windows

Windows 2000 or XP

64 MB RAM

28.8 kbps modem (56K Recommended)

Sound Card & Speakers

I've got no one local to make a computer for me or I would!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

The online college that I take some classes through might not work with Vista. See, I checked on their website & this is what it says:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTSIn order to make the most of your online learning experience, there are several technical requirements you will need to fulfill. Refer to the guidelines below to help ensure your online success.

Microsoft Windows

Windows 2000 or XP

64 MB RAM

28.8 kbps modem (56K Recommended)

Sound Card & Speakers

I've got no one local to make a computer for me or I would!
Awww I wish you were closer...I would bribe DH with beer to help you.
I am pretty sure online classes will HAVE TO upgrade the software to Vista next year. There will be no way around that.

BTW what's wrong with the pc you have now?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Awww I wish you were closer...I would bribe DH with beer to help you.
I am pretty sure online classes will HAVE TO upgrade the software to Vista next year. There will be no way around that.

BTW what's wrong with the pc you have now?
Dad's self employed, so we've got a home office. Between dad trying to put together prices, mom trying to pay bills/do the books, & me doing classes full time on one computer.....it just ain't working.

It's been nothing but a PITA for all of us trying to use this, & will be esp. bad once the new year hits & dad's business picks up.

I'm gonna check with a few people, maybe someone an hour from here can put a computer together for us....unless I can buy a decent one in Best Buy!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you email them and ask them how well it would work with Vista? If its saying Minimum requirements, then with Vista you "should" be in the clear.

Also unless you're downloading programs in order to virtually attend classes, you're just using Internet Explorer. I.E. 7.0 comes with Vista, so if you're currently using I.E. 7 overall you should have minimal issues when attending to classes online.

I had a month's worth of fun with Vista and during that time I had no issues with accessing any web site (including TCS) on it. I even attended a webinar using IE7 and Vista.

I would definitely call or email their I.T. department and find out. It could just be that they have not updated their site.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Can you email them and ask them how well it would work with Vista? If its saying Minimum requirements, then with Vista you "should" be in the clear.

Also unless you're downloading programs in order to virtually attend classes, you're just using Internet Explorer. I.E. 7.0 comes with Vista, so if you're currently using I.E. 7 overall you should have minimal issues when attending to classes online.

I had a month's worth of fun with Vista and during that time I had no issues with accessing any web site (including TCS) on it. I even attended a webinar using IE7 and Vista.

I would definitely call or email their I.T. department and find out. It could just be that they have not updated their site.
If thats the lowest that can run the classes vista should be fine. My boyfriend uses vista and doesnt have any problems with it working.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The only place I know of is Lenovo.com (used to be IBM). I haven't compared prices so don't know if something is in your budget.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I plan to call my campus tomorrow to talk to them. I want to be sure I can run the classes with Vista. If not, I'll just have to fight with dad for this computer & mom can do her business stuff on the new one. Only one semester left!