spayed and Nurture Help!

aries101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, So I have 2 kittens they are 7 months. (Peaches and Nosiette) Well they are my roommate's cats. (My sis and her friend)

Well I believe that Peaches is in heat but My roomie doesn't want he spayed because it costs too much, and plus she is in heat. But than my sis won't get Nosi (His nickname) Nurtured because "he will hump everything" I know we don't have a lot of money, but my cat (Aries) is being attacked by Nosi because of this (Or so I believe) Now I live in Canada...but I'm hoping there will be someone able to help me out. If they know a cheap clinic. I have even offered to pay for Nosi to get fixed. I cannot keep my cat locked in my room all the time, it isn't fair to him. PLEASE HELP ME!!! Thank you!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would explain to your roommates all the health and behavior problems that can occur in intact cats.

For females, they are at extreme risk of pyometra (infection of the uterus). I knew a lady who took her cat (a breeding female) to the vet because she had switched who's feet she slept on at night. It turned out that she had a horrible case of pyometra, so that her uterine horns, which are usually the size of a pencil, where each as large as fists. The sleeping change was the only indication of her being sick, but if she had waited any longer, her cat probably would have died.

In addition, females in heat make a lot of noise and just seem rather uncomfortable. They also attract intact males who a) spray the most nasty smelling urine around the house and b) fight with each other which creates awful noise not to mention injured cats.

For the males, spraying is a major concern. I had an intact male spend just three days at my house, and the smell by the end (throughout the whole house and even through closed doors) was enough to literally hit you in the face like a physical blow. Their urine smells awful, and they spray on just about anything you can imagine. Plus, their sexual urges are what are going to cause the "humping everything", not neutering. Neutering should actually keep that problem from occuring if its done early enough.

Intact males will struggle to get out of the house to find a female to mate and cauterwaul for females too. In addition, they are at risk for testicular cancer.

Probably the thing they need to worry about most is having both an intact male and female. That's going to add up to kittens very soon - which means vet bills and new homes, and possibly even the death of the female cat due to birthing problems.

Hopefully sharing the info with your roommates will encourage them to get their cats spayed/neutered as soon as possible. You're a wonderful roommate for offering to help pay.
Unfortunately, I don't know where to find cheap clinics, but I'm sure some of our Canadian members can help you out!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive never had to pay over 120 dollars for a cat to be fixed. Its so worth it. If you dont want kittens or cant afford kittens its the best thing you can do. Ive always had good luck with it, not to mention sooner or later he'll hurt her and that will cost money. If anything goes wrong in labor, that'll cost money. Can you get her fixed? He still needs to be fixed but at least that would prevent kittens. Dont get me wrong, I love kittens but the poor things dont stand a chance with there being so many of them right now. I dont really believe in that spay/abort thing either so I would show her this website and say, HAY READ THIS! Good luck to ya, you're a trooper, let us know!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Explain that if it's expensive to get her fixed, try figuring the cost of kitten food to feed 6 hungry babies plus mom!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aries101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you you guys...

Sadly though, none of them will lock one of their cats up because 'it's too noisy' So we probably have possible inbred kittens coming up, I just don't know about them anymore.
I HAVE to lock up Aries in my room now, because Noisette is picking fights with him for no reason, and my cat is a big cat, size of a small dog and long. But he is the most friendly cat I've ever seen, and he wouldn't fight back.
So, more for his safety I am doing this and they see nothing wrong with that. But the thing is, I don't think they knew what they were getting into.
But the cost range that you gave me glitch is helpful! Thank you!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unspayed/Unneutered females and males are prone to cancers. Its too much stress on them going in and out of heat or being frustrated by not breeding. Plus the male will start spraying on EVERYTHING in the house!

There is NO legit reason they shouldn't be done. The longer you wait, the higher the risk for cancer AND pregnancy. All it takes is one time for the male to mate with the female. And if they are brother/sister you also risk genetic problems.

Check around for low cost spay/neuter - you can probably arrange payment plans with a vet too. The important thing is to get them done and soon!

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please come up with the money (I know they aren't your cats, but still...) and get them both fixed. If you think the surgery is expensive (it's not, find a low cost clinic) then try feeding a whole litter of kittens, plus vet care, wormings, potential emergencies, etc. I got 3 kittens (2 males, 1 female) altered for $75. Of course thats because my vet loves me and gives me super discounts, but you can find a low cost clinic who will do it for next to nothing. And males are usally cheaper, so at least get him done first so you don't have kittens.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Males can still get an unspayed female pregnant within 30 days of being neutered. I'd get her done first.

unicacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i got my kittens neutured and sprayed, and it was the best idea EVER for me. my male doesnt hump anything, and my female is friendly then ever. my babies, although cute, but they are wild. when i was taking them to the vet, OMG, the vet calls them the seeds of chuncky..... now, they are angels....seriously...big difference. they are calmer to hold, and they dont destory as much.
tell your roommates, in the long hall, its better, and the cost, you can get it done at the aspca, and its a wavier cost, if you cant afford it.
i have insurance for my little ones, i travel alot, and they come along, so every i go, i get a discount from the vets.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aries101

Ok, So I have 2 kittens they are 7 months. (Peaches and Nosiette) Well they are my roommate's cats. (My sis and her friend)

Well I believe that Peaches is in heat but My roomie doesn't want he spayed because it costs too much, and plus she is in heat. But than my sis won't get Nosi (His nickname) Nurtured because "he will hump everything" I know we don't have a lot of money, but my cat (Aries) is being attacked by Nosi because of this (Or so I believe) Now I live in Canada...but I'm hoping there will be someone able to help me out. If they know a cheap clinic. I have even offered to pay for Nosi to get fixed. I cannot keep my cat locked in my room all the time, it isn't fair to him. PLEASE HELP ME!!! Thank you!
I've never heard of a male cat "humping" things because they were neutered. That doesn't even make sense because neutering will cut out male hormones. I think you're in Canada? You may want to call around and see if they have programs in your area to help with the cost of a spay/neuter. In the States there are a lot of programs to help out and there are also clinics that offer very inexpensive spay/neuter programs. Usually affiliated with Humane societies or ASPCA. It's worth a try! Here's one link I found when I googled spay and neuter programs in Alberta:

http://www.meowfoundation.com/whatdoido/snap.html

Here's a report on low cost spay/neuter programs across Canada:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~llc/Spay-Neut...ada(Feb07).pdf

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Id do them both at the same time, that way one doesn't bother the other one after, and you dont have to go through so much stress, also you maybe able to get a discount for doing more than one at a time! Its so important, really it is.... Kittens are a dime a dozen unfortunatly and people, sometimes people you even know can do bad things to them thinking they are not important. If you're gonna let them go maybe seperate them. Or if you want kittens just remember that they should be spayed/neutered before they go to a home! I love my kitties and the world would be bleak without them so I know what you're going through. The surgery on the boy will be easier than the one on the girl. Otherwise, maybe there's someone that doesn't have a kitty who maybe wants one temporarly or something? Keep us posted on how its going with the roomy! Good luck to ya!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a difficult situation for you. It sounds like your roommates are uneducated. Have them look at this website or print out some stats from your local Humane Society. Please do whatever it takes to get them both fixed as soon as possible. This is the most loving thing that can be done for them.

Kittens are expensive if you care for them properly. Plus, kittens and cats die every day from overpopulation. There just are not enough homes for them all.

Let us know what happens
Thanks for trying to do the right thing!