How Much to Feed?

mrfoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello..I have a 7 month kitten and I've been debating recently if I should feed her more food. The reason being that shes always begging for more food and tries to eat human food every chance she gets. I cant leave any food lying around the kitchen!

Currently I feed her an all-wet diet of Wellness, Natural Balance, Innova, Californina Natural and similar. I make sure I can good quality food for her.

I'm feed her ONE 3-oz can per day currently. She weighs about 4-5 pounds.

The labels on each can always say something different. One will say feed 1 oz per pound of cat. Another will say feed kitten twice as much. I'm a bit confused about the proper amounts to feed now.

Is my cat still considered a kitten? I dont have any problems getting her to eat..she will always eat. I just dont want to overfeed my cat and get her fat..

Thank you all for your advice and time..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is by labeling stds a kitten till 12 months...

IS she at a good wt ?? just a small cat???

3 oz seems low for a kitten but

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would feed a mix with soft and dry foods. She must be a very small cat if she's 7 months old and only 4-5 lbs. Even my rexes weighed more then that at 7 months.

If she's that small, I'd give her the higher calorie kitten foods till she at the proper weight. Is she spayed? What does the vet say regarding her size?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrfoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would feed a mix with soft and dry foods. She must be a very small cat if she's 7 months old and only 4-5 lbs. Even my rexes weighed more then that at 7 months.

If she's that small, I'd give her the higher calorie kitten foods till she at the proper weight. Is she spayed? What does the vet say regarding her size?
yes shes very small and skinny...she was weighed in at 4 lbs about 3 months ago at the vet. The vet told me that her weight was fine and that she was very sleek and healthy. I'm assuming shes gained a pound or two since then.

she is not spayed yet though im gonna take her in about 2 weeks to get it done.

I'm considering feeding her two 3-oz cans a day..one in the morning and one can at night. Right now I'm only feeding her one 3-oz can per day...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay if 4 lbs at four months.. most cats gain a lb per month for 6-12 months... yes try two cans a day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrfoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks Sharky!