Only using litterbox occasionally. Please help me.

sophiafia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone!
I have a rescue persian, between 2-4 yrs old. She is spayed and front declawed (she came that way). Since I have owned her (2 months or so) she has not been using her litterbox faithfully. She does use it at least every other day.

I took her to the vet and she had a bladder infection. She was treated with antibiotics but the problem has not changed. I have changed her litter. I have added additional litterboxes all over the apartment (4). Again, sometimes she uses them, sometimes she doesn't. I clean her litterbox after every time she eliminates. I purchased a Spot Bot to clean up her accidents so that she does not do it again, but she does. She does not eliminate in the same spot. She eliminates in new spots all the time. I have put bowls of food down in the spots where she eliminates and where I think she might eliminate.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. She is urinating on my carpet or my belongings several times a day. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I love this kitty dearly but she is making my life miserable. I come home from work each day to the smell of cat pee and spots everywhere. PLEASE HELP.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophiaFia

Hello Everyone!
I have a rescue persian, between 2-4 yrs old. She is spayed and front declawed (she came that way). Since I have owned her (2 months or so) she has not been using her litterbox faithfully. She does use it at least every other day.

I took her to the vet and she had a bladder infection. She was treated with antibiotics but the problem has not changed. I have changed her litter. I have added additional litterboxes all over the apartment (4). Again, sometimes she uses them, sometimes she doesn't. I clean her litterbox after every time she eliminates. I purchased a Spot Bot to clean up her accidents so that she does not do it again, but she does. She does not eliminate in the same spot. She eliminates in new spots all the time. I have put bowls of food down in the spots where she eliminates and where I think she might eliminate.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. She is urinating on my carpet or my belongings several times a day. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I love this kitty dearly but she is making my life miserable. I come home from work each day to the smell of cat pee and spots everywhere. PLEASE HELP.
Have you taken her back to a vet since her course of antibiotics? Is she clear of her infection? Could she have crystals in her urine? Did the vet do tests on her? My cat was peeing all over the aparment when he had urinary cystitis. I swtiched him to prescription foor Waltham Urinary So. He stopped urinating outside the litter box after that.

kendalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would get a urine sample and have it tested to see if the infection is really gone. It's possible the antibiotics did not take care of it.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kendalyn

I would get a urine sample and have it tested to see if the infection is really gone. It's possible the antibiotics did not take care of it.
Also, sometimes as I understand it, the cat might have no infection but still has cystitis, which makes it painful for the cat to use the litter box. When my cat had cystitis, the vet suggested keeping him in a cage to re-train him. I never had to do it, cause once I switched to the prescription food, he stopped urinating. If it's behavioural, then there are still medications the vet could prescribe for the cat if cat has a problem of inapropriate urinating. Basically, I think the cat has to go back to the vet. Another thing that can be tried is cat attract litter and feliway dispenser.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiafia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I will make an appt for her for this week.