Would You Rather Know, Or Not Know...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When your furbaby's gonna cross over the Rainbow Bridge??

Considering I've had to deal with both, I think I'd rather know, b/c at least then, you have a chance to prepare yourself - not that knowing makes losing a beloved pet any easier - b/c it doesn't.
But it gives you a chance to spend those last precious moments with your furbaby. If you aren't prepared, it comes as such a shock, and then you're left thinking, "If I only would have known, I would have...."

But on the other hand, if you do know, then you're always stressed out from the worry of "How much longer do we have together?", and you can't enjoy that time together b/c you're always worrying & wondering when it's gonna be...

Either way, it sucks....

~KK~

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes either way it does suck, but like you said, knowing is better than not knowing. Even if you find out 24 hours before they're suppose to go...

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh geeze....that's a difficult question. I'm not sure I'd want to know, just because I'd be a basket case when the time was near. Not knowing has it's benefits....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Oh geeze....that's a difficult question. I'm not sure I'd want to know, just because I'd be a basket case when the time was near. Not knowing has it's benefits....
Yes, that's certainly true. I've been a basket case ever since I found out that both Geronimo & Winchester have the dry form of FIP. Any time either one of them so much as sneezes now, I freak out!
It's horrible..

~KK~

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to know. I lost Sandy Paws one day. I didn't shut him in the garage the night before. Had I known he would die, I would've wanted him to die in the garage....it's the next best thing to be in the house. And all his friends were in the garage, he would've died with those who loved him & those he loved.

Cow still doesn't understand, Sandy Paws just disappeared one day & he's never been back.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I already stress enough about keeping my baby healthy and not getting him sunburnt and having to help him with the transition in the new house. If i knew when he was going to die i'd be a wreck!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having also dealt with both, I think i would like to know, but not too far ahead. Id like to know in the last week.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a tough question and one I hate to think about. But, I wouldn't want to know. If I did know, it would be to hard for me to spend those last days with them.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I'd like to know in the last week.
I agree, I think it would be nice to know but not too far ahead.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Clyde, he just came in one night acting strangely. We were going to take him to the vet the next morning, but he died on our bed during the night. We think he was hit by a car but there wasn't a mark on him.

With Kiki, we knew she was failing fast. She was almost 20 years old when we had to have her PTS. It isn't easy either way but with Kiki, at least I was with her when she took her last breath. I was petting her when the vet administered the shot.

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont think I would like to know either, my motto is enjoy each day as it comes in life. Putting things into perspective though, picture the scenario, some people have to deal with finding out that their child is going to die, or even being in the situation where you have to decide to turn off a life support machine on your loved one. That must be tough, but then we are all individuals and deal with these things in different ways.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either way it sucks, granted. But I don't need to know. I cherish the time I've got with them now and that way it won't taint how we spend our last days together. If they pass from old age, then they've had a good quality of life all the way through. If however they are really sick beyond help, then I would make the decision myself to put them out of their suffering. Of course then I would know, but as long as they pass comfortably and getting a hug, then I know they're safe. I have kitties on the other side who will welcome them for me
My little Gabriel will be there to watch over us like I watched over him in his last days - he promised me. (see thread)

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been through both, and I found it a lot harder to accept with the cat that went unexpectedly - and the other thing that hurt a lot more was the fact that he went alone, and I will never ever know for sure that he went peacefully, and painlessly. The others have all gone at the vets, only 2 haven't had me there (so in a way unexpected, but they did have an illness), so I know with the rest of them that they went peacefully, and that they went with someone who loved them, not alone like Ginger. IT is very hard when the vet tells you there is nothing more you can do for them and it is up to you when it is their time, you do watch incredibly closely, and I probably let my cats go that bit too soon - but I have seen my neighbours animals go on too long, and I would rather lose mine a week to soon than let them suffer for one day too long. The other 'good' thing is you have time to prepare, and I find grieving easier then (I seem to do part of it beforehand).

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me it would depend on the age of the cat. The way I would want all of my cats to go is to live to a ripe old age, be relatively healthy for their age, and then go to sleep at home and not wake up. We don't like to think about them going to the bridge but with an elderly pet we know their time is growing short. With a younger pet I would like to know ahead of time so I would know that all that could be done for them had been done.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would want to know, but then knowing means that they are really sick, enough to show it and go to the vet, so they would probably be suffering already at that point, so I wouldn't like to know.

I love my cats, they all get hugs throughout the day. If something were to happen to them today, there would be no regrets on how I spent my time with them, just that there wasn't more time.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely want to know.

I lost my Babygirl and never got to say goodbye to her. I would give anything to able to see her one more time and say I love you and goodbye.