Two new female bettas.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a disappointing day today, so decided to gift myself. =3 Sure did cheer me up!

Rosette, the curious and sweet~

Undine, the punky girl (wouldn't let me take a good pic!)~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hehehe, thanks, Anne. I guess you'll see this twice, if you look at UB, too. =3

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a tank with quite a few of them, some of them would come to the top of the water and rub against my finger, i used to pet them before I turned the light out at night

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww~ I want a sorority, but I didn't want to spend all my Christmas money, yet. =3 Maybe after I move in a year, or so...

I'm a bit worried, though. It looks like Rosette is tiny enough to get between the tank wall and the divider (she can get most of her head through), so I'm going to fix that up this afternoon.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 30g tank, used to have 5 female bettas, I'm down to two now. They got along just fine for over a year and then suddenly one of them went nuts and tried to kill the others. I seperated them out but it was too late. I lost two from wounds.

Then one went just from old age I think and the two I have left don't fight much so it's ok. It's a very delicate balance having multiple females together and it can go wrong.

Anyway your girls are lovely
Congratulations!

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've heard horror stories about nutso killer females....=/

Here's a couple of better pics of Undine.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never separated them, they all live together in a community tank, I also had a few swordtails, the only ones that they, didn't get along with were neon tetras, they were to nippy.

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kat, are you housing them in a mini-bow? That divider looks like it's from a mini-bow. Those dividers are notorious for not doing their job because they are not flush with the front and back of the tank, and they aren't tall enough, which means bettas can jump over it. The best, easiest, and cheapest tank dividers can be made from plastic canvas, which are about $0.75 at Wally World, and you can also get them at craft stores. Just use scissors and cut to fit.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know, and I fixed it up so they can't squeeze through (which Undine did, this morning, before I fixed it). I've stuffed in pieces of my tank scrubbies so that the divider is now flush on both sides.

Yeah, I came in to check on them around noon, and when I looked first at Rosette's side, I saw Undine, instead! Nobody was injured (Rosette was very docile and moved away when Undine got too close), and now they are back in their own sides, minding their own businesses.

Thanks for being concerned, though. =D

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do have a male, but I'm going to be responsible and not breed them. I know I could never get even one good home, much less more, if any babies managed to survive. Also, I don't like the idea of breeding petstore bettas. It's like breeding petstore dogs or cats, if you ask me.

I -am- thinking of setting up a sorority, soon, though, but...I don't know. I'd have to go out and buy more girls, and I don't think I should, right now.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting thoughts. I never looked at it that way. We bred fancy guppies and had some VERY nice ones out of working with various store bought guppies. Our zebra fish also laid eggs that hatched.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe one day, when I find friends who actually like fish and don't tell me to just "flush it" when one of mine gets sick...-_-

=) I want guppies. <3

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Interesting thoughts. I never looked at it that way. We bred fancy guppies and had some VERY nice ones out of working with various store bought guppies. Our zebra fish also laid eggs that hatched.
Just like you can get some very beautiful cats by breeding random bred cats together. There are definately "backyard" fish breeders around. It's especially bad with the bettas. The dedicated breeders have been working on their lines for years, trying to perfect their colours and fin shape and all that. There are even shows.

Then there are people who breed petstore bettas and can't cope with the hundreds of babies that can survive. Bettas are also bad because the fry needs to be seperated out quite early or they'll start fighting and potentially killing each other so you can end up with dozens and dozens of jars going everywhere with 1 fry each while you grow them big enough to sell.

Granted hobbist breeding fish and cats is quite different and fish do breed quantity over quality in nature so it's expected that a lot of the fry will die etc. I mean it is definately different but I understand the frustrations the dedicated betta breeders have.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Just like you can get some very beautiful cats by breeding random bred cats together. There are definately "backyard" fish breeders around. It's especially bad with the bettas. The dedicated breeders have been working on their lines for years, trying to perfect their colours and fin shape and all that. There are even shows.

Then there are people who breed petstore bettas and can't cope with the hundreds of babies that can survive. Bettas are also bad because the fry needs to be seperated out quite early or they'll start fighting and potentially killing each other so you can end up with dozens and dozens of jars going everywhere with 1 fry each while you grow them big enough to sell.

Granted hobbist breeding fish and cats is quite different and fish do breed quantity over quality in nature so it's expected that a lot of the fry will die etc. I mean it is definately different but I understand the frustrations the dedicated betta breeders have.
*nods* I know, online, quite a few breeders who actually buy the show fish for breeding. I've heard of all the problems that can happen, and I just don't think fish breeding is for me, especially when there are so many people "backyard" breeding them, anyway. I don't think it would be fair if I bred them, then ended up losing half to inexperience, then not having near enough homes for the remaining, and having to probably sell them to a petshop *shudder*, because I certainly couldn't keep even five more than I have now. I simply don't have the space, time, or money needed to breed.

It'd be an interesting experience, though.