Junior isn't eating normally

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since Thursday evening Junior has not been excited about eating. I mean, he lets me know when he's hungry but when I put the wet food out he doesn't eat.

Once I set the bowl down, Junior will sniff the bowl then reach over it with a paw and make a digging/burying motion on the floor for a few seconds before walking away. He'll do this several times but will eventually eat the food (I think he finally gets hungry enough he'll eat anything). I've tried various flavors of both Wellness and Friskies pouches as well as several different bowls but he does the same thing no matter what.

His feces appear normal after he eats but I've noticed that his overall behavior is a little more subdued than usual. While he doesn't seek me out (which is normal), if I goto him he is more tolerant of me petting him. Also when I play with him he doesn't seem to be at 100%.

I don't know if this is related but Wednesday evening I neglected to throw out the leftover wet food. Junior ate it sometime early Thursday morning but then had really stinky diarrhea. That evening is when I noticed this behavior. I would think that if the food Thursday morning made him sick he would have recovered from it by now.

Any ideas on what may be going on? Does this warrant a visit to the vet and if so what can/will the vet do to diagnose the problem?

Mez

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

Since Thursday evening Junior has not been excited about eating. I mean, he lets me know when he's hungry but when I put the wet food out he doesn't eat.

Once I set the bowl down, Junior will sniff the bowl then reach over it with a paw and make a digging/burying motion on the floor for a few seconds before walking away. He'll do this several times but will eventually eat the food (I think he finally gets hungry enough he'll eat anything). I've tried various flavors of both Wellness and Friskies pouches as well as several different bowls but he does the same thing no matter what.

His feces appear normal after he eats but I've noticed that his overall behavior is a little more subdued than usual. While he doesn't seek me out (which is normal), if I goto him he is more tolerant of me petting him. Also when I play with him he doesn't seem to be at 100%.

I don't know if this is related but Wednesday evening I neglected to throw out the leftover wet food. Junior ate it sometime early Thursday morning but then had really stinky diarrhea. That evening is when I noticed this behavior. I would think that if the food Thursday morning made him sick he would have recovered from it by now.

Any ideas on what may be going on? Does this warrant a visit to the vet and if so what can/will the vet do to diagnose the problem?

Mez
Since you noticed a change in the behavior, I think you should take him to the Vet. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This morning Junior ate normally and was full of energy. I'll see how he does during the day and tonight.

Mez

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Junior remains full of energy as usual, but he is still only nibbling the wet food before "burying" it. He is eating more dry food though so maybe he's just had a change in taste?

Mez

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an update. Junior isn't "burying" the wet food anymore but he only eats 1/2 to 2/3 of it now. I've noticed him nibbling on the dry food more than usual (which may account for the smaller wet food appetite) so I think he's fine.

Mez

dolcetta46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is Junior, and has he been a small eater or hearty eater before? As we discussed on my Oliver thread my boy is going through a similar "phase" right now... let's hope it is nothing serious for them, the dinner time for him is approaching so I shall see...

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dolcetta46

How old is Junior, and has he been a small eater or hearty eater before? As we discussed on my Oliver thread my boy is going through a similar "phase" right now... let's hope it is nothing serious for them, the dinner time for him is approaching so I shall see...
Junior is 9-10 months old and normally eats 2 wet pouches a day plus a little dry (just under 1/4 cup of EVO). Since this weekend he is eating around 1 1/2 pouches and between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of dry.

Mez

dolcetta46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think Junior and Oliver are pretty close, though Ollie is still 7 months and probably had been eating about 1/2 cup of dry food. At today's supper he switched over to dry food before he finished his wet (I put both of them out, about half of the normal amount). So maybe his taste is also switching over to the crunchies, too... I have to observe him closely for a few more days though!
Hope Junior is now back to normal and no further issues...

Cheers!

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Other than the change in the wet/dry ratio Junior seems to be 100% his usual rambunctious self.