Dark room?

jabooty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know cats have good night vision, but I get nervous having the lights off in the house at night. The bathroom gets real dark and I'm afraid that Red won't be able to find the litter box. Is this a valid concern?

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jabooty

I know cats have good night vision, but I get nervous having the lights off in the house at night. The bathroom gets real dark and I'm afraid that Red won't be able to find the litter box. Is this a valid concern?
A Vet once told me that cats balance with the use of their whiskers. Relax!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jabooty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Judi

A Vet once told me that cats balance with the use of their whiskers. Relax!
lol... it's not the balance that worried me. I was worried that he wouldn't be able to see.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While cats can't see in complete darkness, their eyesight is still far superior to that of humans and many other animals.

So I'm sure that your cat will be fine as is, but why not simply purchase a nightlight and plug it in somewhere in the bathroom so the litterbox is at least somewhat illuminated? They're very inexpensive and you'll have peace of mind.

piccadilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the first 2 months I had Pippin he would spend the night in the bathroom ("his" room). At first I had a night light in there for him, but he wouldn't settle down when it was on. Only when it was totally dark in there (and it was completely dark as there are no outside windows) would he settle down and sleep. He never missed the litter box. Not once.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mattie pretty much only uses her litterbox at night and she seems to do quite well with it. Never been an issue really. Cats have excellent night vision.