"Bedroom" arrangement

jabooty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Red has been here for a week and I tried to set up his "bedroom" in one room of the house. I put his bed, food, and water all in there with the litterbox in the bathroom. He seems ok with the placement of the litter box, but he always naps by the front door and not in his "bedroom." I think he goes out there because the floor is warmer (the building's boiler is right below my apartment).

I figured I'd move his bed out there since he seems to like it so much. My question is, though, should I set up everything out there, or is it ok to have the food and water in a separate room from his bed?

Granted, I'm not a huge fan of him sleeping by the front door, but hey, it's not hurting anything, so I'm flexible

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats' food/water is on a counter in the basement. The beds are in various places around the house, but the cats usually sleep on our bed or in a corner - they don't use the cat beds very much.

If he likes the other place to sleep, you can put a bed or a towel/blanket for him to curl up on in that spot.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jabooty

Red has been here for a week and I tried to set up his "bedroom" in one room of the house. I put his bed, food, and water all in there with the litterbox in the bathroom. He seems ok with the placement of the litter box, but he always naps by the front door and not in his "bedroom." I think he goes out there because the floor is warmer (the building's boiler is right below my apartment).

I figured I'd move his bed out there since he seems to like it so much. My question is, though, should I set up everything out there, or is it ok to have the food and water in a separate room from his bed?

Granted, I'm not a huge fan of him sleeping by the front door, but hey, it's not hurting anything, so I'm flexible
Just be sure the cat doesn't go out the door.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as he has access to a water bowl & litter at all times it doesn't matter. Blossom only uses her bed sometimes. She'll sleep wherever she feels comfortable at the particular time. Our bed, on a chair, on the lounge, on her bed, on our dog's bed. She'll even sleep on anything lying around the floor.

piccadilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats will sleep wherever they want.
I think it is more important to put food, water, and the litter box in a specific place where they know they can always find it.

pikate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did research on this before getting my kittens, and the general consensus seemed to be that many cats don't like their sleeping/playing/food areas to be near their litter box. My kittens don't generally go to the litter box area (a small out of the way area in the back of the apartment) unless we're out back or they're using it, which seems to follow what I learned. Good luck!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten sleeps in front of his litter box on the mat or on top of the litter box. He stays in the bathroom when we are not home or at night he is 4 months old and we want to make sure he doesn't hurt himself when we aren't present (next week he will only be in the bathroom when we aren't home).

He likes to sleep up high or in a covered area--we are going to address that when he has house freedom--like I said he sleeps on top of the litter box (covered) or on top of the toilet.

Leslie

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little guy has about ten "nap spots" around the house - various places on the couch, burrowed under my quilt on the bed, under the bed, his kitty bed, etc. He doesn't seem to want just one place for him - he wants to make the whole house his!