Questions about The Cat Site from a new member

milky way

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am a new member of The Cat Site and I have some questions which I hope someone can answer:

(1) When was The Cat Site started? It seems to be the most popular of all the cat forums I've found so far - why is this?

(2) Can members have their accounts deleted if they no longer wish to be part of the community for some reason?

(3) I've noticed that all members seem to have varying numbers of animated gifs on their posts, underneath their join date, location and name details. What do these animated gifs signify and how do I insert them? Are they emoticons?

(4) Am I allowed to talk about cat forums other than The Cat Site?

(5) How do I get an avatar (little picture or photo) underneath my name? I can't find any option for choosing an avatar in my User CP.

(6) How do I get the pretty colours for my name? I've noticed that lots of members have pretty colours on their names and would like to that for my own name!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. Some of your questions can be answered in the Forum Rules page.

(1) When was The Cat Site started? It seems to be the most popular of all the cat forums I've found so far - why is this?
This last October, the site celebrated its 7th anniversary. The Site owner, Anne, started the forum to share information about cats and has been doing a great job.

(2) Can members have their accounts deleted if they no longer wish to be part of the community for some reason?
We do not delete member accounts but allow them to remain dormant so you can come back at any time.

(3) I've noticed that all members seem to have varying numbers of animated gifs on their posts, underneath their join date, location and name details. What do these animated gifs signify and how do I insert them? Are they emoticons?
These are VBPlaza gifts.

(4) Am I allowed to talk about cat forums other than The Cat Site?
We do not discuss other cat forums nor post links to them.

(5) How do I get an avatar (little picture or photo) underneath my name? I can't find any option for choosing an avatar in my User CP.
Information about avatars is available here.

Users can also have signatures that show up in every post. More information can be found in the Signature Forum.

(6) How do I get the pretty colours for my name? I've noticed that lots of members have pretty colours on their names and would like to that for my own name!
The ability to change colors on your username is a special perk of becoming a site member. Information is available here.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(1) When was The Cat Site started? It seems to be the most popular of all the cat forums I've found so far - why is this? I'm not quite sure when it started, but I think it is popular because it is run so well. We have very serious members here, who love their cats.

(2) Can members have their accounts deleted if they no longer wish to be part of the community for some reason? I'm not sure on that one. Usually people just leave and pop in every now and then on their original user.

(3) I've noticed that all members seem to have varying numbers of animated gifs on their posts, underneath their join date, location and name details. What do these animated gifs signify and how do I insert them? Are they emoticons? They are literally gifts from other members, because we have helped them oiut with certain things, or to wish us well. Other members 'buy' them for you with their points.

(4) Am I allowed to talk about cat forums other than The Cat Site? You'll need to PM people for that.

(5) How do I get an avatar (little picture or photo) underneath my name? I can't find any option for choosing an avatar in my User CP. You can get an avatar or a signature once you reach kitten status with more than 5 posts.

(6) How do I get the pretty colours for my name? I've noticed that lots of members have pretty colours on their names and would like to that for my own name! For that you either need to be a paid member, or have Top Cat status. You have to buy the customisations with your points. You need thousands of points to be able to do this.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meow_123

I think you are talking about vPlaza gifts (the snowflakes in my case)

They are gifts (and underneath, ribbons for various causes) that you can buy for yourself or others using points you earn by posting.

More info here

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

(4) Am I allowed to talk about cat forums other than The Cat Site? You'll need to PM people for that.
I do need to make a clarification on this. Sending Private Messages to others promoting other cat forums is considered spam and is against the rules. It can result in a user being banned.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

(6) How do I get the pretty colours for my name? I've noticed that lots of members have pretty colours on their names and would like to that for my own name! For that you either need to be a paid member, or have Top Cat status. You have to buy the customisations with your points. You need thousands of points to be able to do this.
Is the Top Cat status true for customisations? Since I read this, I keep trying to change mine and I can't! And I have lots and lots of points.....

Plus, can I have a bigger avatar if I'm a Top cat? Again, I have lots and lots of points for that too!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Is the Top Cat status true for customisations? Since I read this, I keep trying to change mine and I can't! And I have lots and lots of points.....

Plus, can I have a bigger avatar if I'm a Top cat? Again, I have lots and lots of points for that too!
The previous poster was mistaken. These features are only available to paying subscribers.
  • The ability to upload your own custom avatar.
  • Increased avatar to 120x120 pixels.
  • The ability to make your own custom user title.
  • Access to buy *various customizations for your username and title with TCS points.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

The previous poster was mistaken. These features are only available to paying subscribers.
  • The ability to upload your own custom avatar.
  • Increased avatar to 120x120 pixels.
  • The ability to make your own custom user title.
  • Access to buy *various customizations for your username and title with TCS points.
That's what I thought....

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry yeah, you can have a custom user title with top cat status, not custom user name (coloured) You have to be paid to have a bigger avatar.