I'm Worried...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, we had to take Maverick into the vet, b/c he seemed to be having trouble urinating: he had gone to the litterbox about 5-6 times within an hour, and I noticed him only being able to urinate once out of those 5-6 times, and even then it was only a very small amount. So of course I immediately thought he probably had a UTI, and took him in..

The vet gave him a thorough exam, and couldn't find any blockage - either rectally or in his bladder (the poor guy has one sore butt today..
), although he did determine that Maverick has an ear infection, which I was beginning to suspect b/c he's been scratching at his ears and shaking his head a lot..
. But apparently there's nothing wrong w/ his bladder or anything. The vet gave him antiobiotics to take "just in case", and also antibiotic ear ointment for the ear infection, plus a dewormer b/c he suspected Maverick had worms also. But I'm still worried, even though the vet didn't find anything seriously wrong w/ Maverick, b/c he seemed on edge last night, and was roaming around the house all night "whining", like he was worried or something: that's not typical behavior for him.
And this morning, he just doesn't seem like his usual self.
I don't know if it's due to the antibiotics he's taking, or if it's b/c there may be something wrong that the vet may have missed.
I'm getting all paranoid and thinking the worst - like maybe he is beginning to have kidney problems or something: after all, he is getting old - he's almost 13. And ever since Geronimo & Winchester were "diagnosed" w/ the dry form of FIP, I'm ALWAYS freaking out whenever one of my furbabies acts the least bit abnormal..

Has anyone ever experienced something like this w/ one of your furbabies? Do you have any advice or suggestions??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~KK~

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Did he do an urinalysis? When my cats have had UTIs, it was discovered though a test of the urine, finding crystals.

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sorry your baby is not feeling like his usual self

when was the last time bloodwork was done?

i'd want to check him for hyperThyroidism, its very common in cats his age and older

the symptoms vary quite a bit but being up at night and talking or whining or for some cats, yowling, is one of them.

also some hyperT cats will drink or eat more, lose wt and get an icky looking coat

this happens over time tho, because hyperT generally (but not always) comes on gradually

thats all i can think of

doesnt fit with the in and out of the litterbox, thats a puzzle for sure!!

good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Did he do an urinalysis? When my cats have had UTIs, it was discovered though a test of the urine, finding crystals.
No, he didn't. He said that Maverick's bladder was empty, so I suppose he couldn't b/c there was no urine to test..

~KK~

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The symptoms do sound like a UTI. The vet gave you antibiotics for a UTI, right? Keep giving him those and make sure he is drinking and eating OK. I'm wondering if the vet could give him fluids to help fill the bladder so a sample could be taken.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catnapt

when was the last time bloodwork was done?
It's been quite some time - I'm not sure how long it's been.
We've been in a financial bind lately, and we're trying to play "catch up." I normally pretty good about having my furbabies checked on a regular basis, but b/c we haven't had the $$, things have gotten behind.
And b/c of Geronimo & Winchester's FIP, we've had plenty of vet bills to pay off lately. We're lucky that the vet let us divide yesterday's visit into two payments: that trip alone cost us over a hundred bucks..

i'd want to check him for hyperThyroidism, its very common in cats his age and older
What's HyperThyroidism??

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

The symptoms do sound like a UTI. The vet gave you antibiotics for a UTI, right? Keep giving him those and make sure he is drinking and eating OK. I'm wondering if the vet could give him fluids to help fill the bladder so a sample could be taken.
Yes, he gave him a big dose while we were there, and also two weeks worth of antibiotics to take. Maverick ate & drank a little this morning, but not as much as usual. He used the litterbox just once that I noticed, but I don't know how much he went b/c I couldn't get to him in enough time before he jumped out of it. He's still acting a little weird, but he lets me pick him up to give him some lovin' - so I'm trying not to panic.
Normally, cats won't even let you touch them if they're feeling really bad...

I'm not looking forward to tonight, when we have to give him his meds and administer the ear stuff.
Maverick just HATES it when we have to "doctor" him up.
I bought some of those pill pockets while we were at the vet, and I'm hoping there won't be a problem.
But I'm skeptical: Maverick is pretty darn smart, and will probably not fall for it..

~KK~

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
tiff,
so sorry bout maverick! just keep your eye on him, and i would call the vet back monday and bring him some tee tee of his to test! maybe his ears were
bothering him whenever he was whining around, was he running a temp.?
get well maverick, moms is about worried sick
about you! i know
you dread being
all night long, i always pooped out
around 5am
during my
ing days! I'm sending you and maverick some for'
the situation at hand!

Monique

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

tiff,
so sorry bout maverick! just keep your eye on him, and i would call the vet back monday and bring him some tee tee of his to test! maybe his ears were
bothering him whenever he was whining around, was he running a temp.?
get well maverick, moms is about worried sick
about you! i know
you dread being
all night long, i always pooped out
around 5am
during my
ing days! I'm sending you and maverick some for'
the situation at hand!

Monique
No, he didn't have a temp.

Maverick still doesn't seem 100% yet, but he's stopped "whining" and he's eating, drinking, and using the litterbox - not as often as usual, but I have to keep in mind that he's not a youngster any more.
I will continue to moniter him, and if I think it's necessary I will contact the vet to take him back in again if need be. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll be okay..

Thanks Mo, Katachtig, & Catnapt for your concern & advice.

If anyone else has any advice, it would be appreciated!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Awww poor Maverick! I hope he continues to impove and show signs of getting back to normal
Thank you!
As previously mentioned, he's better, but not 100% just yet. I'll probably continue to worry till he's back to normal..
He's my "special" furbaby
I've had him for 13 years, and I just love him to pieces!
I know I'll be devastated when his time comes..

~KK~

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as you get the money Id hace a CBC and a chemistry taken. I did this with BooBoo and got him meds for anxiety and it ended up costing me 108 dollars!
Good luck, let us know whats up!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear Maverick is getting better.

My Wally (8 yrs old) had a similar experience earlier this year. He did the litterbox straining and crying....the ER vets found basically nothing wrong (no urinary or intestinal blockage, and no urine in his bladder to test for crystals). Long story short...it ended up being an intestinal problem. He was having a colitis-like reaction to a new dry food I was feeding him, so every time he had to do #2, it was really uncomfortable for him. He got better within 3-4 days (I discontinued that food, of course). I know it may be a different problem with your kitty, but I thought it was interesting that the symptoms and vet experience were so similar.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

As soon as you get the money Id hace a CBC and a chemistry taken. I did this with BooBoo and got him meds for anxiety and it ended up costing me 108 dollars!
Good luck, let us know whats up!
I plan on having a bunch of testing done on him, whenever we can save up enough $$.
As I've mentioned, Maverick isn't a spring chicken anymore, and needs to have senior work done on him.

Thanks for the advice, Glitch!

~kk~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

I'm glad to hear Maverick is getting better.

My Wally (8 yrs old) had a similar experience earlier this year. He did the litterbox straining and crying....the ER vets found basically nothing wrong (no urinary or intestinal blockage, and no urine in his bladder to test for crystals). Long story short...it ended up being an intestinal problem. He was having a colitis-like reaction to a new dry food I was feeding him, so every time he had to do #2, it was really uncomfortable for him. He got better within 3-4 days (I discontinued that food, of course). I know it may be a different problem with your kitty, but I thought it was interesting that the symptoms and vet experience were so similar.
I haven't changed his diet, so I don't think that was the problem. But the vet did suspect that Maverick had worms, and if he did, I'm sure his stomach was bothering him. And I know that ear infection must have been bothering him quite a bit too, b/c he was scratching at his ears a lot and shaking his head..
He's feeling so much better today: you can tell just by looking at him, and he's much more chipper!

Thanks for the input, Whuckleberry!

~KK~